Cameras

Old September 9th 04, 08:17 AM
Simon Brown

Default Cameras

Hi All,

Just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and am very impressed.

High resolution, My balcony
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0002.JPG
Standard resolution, Laax
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0042.JPG
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0048.JPG

I'll have a poodle with me over Christmas / New Year so will be walking in
the mountains rather than skiing so will have the camera with me.

Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when the sun
is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff, don't seem to
exist in the digital world.

BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old September 9th 04, 08:57 AM
PG

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
| Hi All,
|
| Just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and am very impressed.
|
| High resolution, My balcony
| http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0002.JPG
| Standard resolution, Laax
| http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0042.JPG
| http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0048.JPG
|
| I'll have a poodle with me over Christmas / New Year so will be
walking in
| the mountains rather than skiing so will have the camera with me.
|
| Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when
the sun
| is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff, don't seem
| exist in the digital world.
|
| BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.

Nice pictures Simon.... I've used a 5m pixel Nikon Coolpix 5700 for the
last year (loads of stuff under photos as http://bsm.alpesprovence.net )
and not had any problems at all with glare, in the sunniest of weather
on the peaks. I do have a lens hood that improves quality a bit though.
You can get screw in filters for some digitals.

The best buy I made recently was a LowePro backpack camera bag. Unzips
horizontally halfway down so camera accessories compartment is in
bottom, and nothing comes into contact with wet gloves/bottles etc in
top half. Often cart both still camera and camcorder around now when I'm
skiing.

Pete

Old September 9th 04, 09:14 AM
Simon Brown

Thanks - I'll see how it goes once we get some snow here and come back if I
have problems.

Must say I am quite amazed with the Z3 - 48x zoom and an anti-shake system
that really works. Point and shoot - even a clown like myself has no
problem. I may get a wide-angle thingy.

And 512 MB card for CHF 110 (45 quid-ish). I remember a 64 MB disk drive
costing 50,000 quid in 1983.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old September 9th 04, 01:26 PM
cupra

At some ,
Simon Brown typed:
Hi All,
=20
Just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and am very impressed.
=20
High resolution, My balcony
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0002.JPG
Standard resolution, Laax
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0042.JPG
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0048.JPG
=20
I'll have a poodle with me over Christmas / New Year so will be
walking in the mountains rather than skiing so will have the camera
with me.=20
=20
Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when
the sun is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff,
don't seem to exist in the digital world.
=20
BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.

I seem to get away with auto settings most of the time, using the fill =
flash if necessary when it's really sunny!=20

Sometimes the auto white balance leaves snow with a little blueish, but =
I use Photogenetics to clean that up later. (Fuji F700)
Old September 9th 04, 05:13 PM
Alun Evans

On Thu 09 Sep '04 at 09:17 "Simon Brown" wrote:

Hi All,

Just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and am very impressed.

High resolution, My balcony
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0002.JPG
Standard resolution, Laax
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0042.JPG
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0048.JPG

I'll have a poodle with me over Christmas / New Year so will be walking in
the mountains rather than skiing so will have the camera with me.

Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when the sun
is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff, don't seem to
exist in the digital world.

Experiment, the pictures are free after all.

My canon S45 has three different metering modes; evaluative, center weighted
and spot. - I see from dpreview.com that you have pretty much the same
options.

Try playing with them and the white balance...?

I think that spot sometimes gives me better slightly better pictures. Getting
someone to hold their hand above the lens when the sun glare is in the way can
also help.

BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.

Keep them next to your body in winter, they'll last a _lot_ longer.

Alun.
Old September 9th 04, 07:04 PM
Alan Clifford

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, cupra wrote:

c I seem to get away with auto settings most of the time, using the fill
c flash if necessary when it's really sunny!
c Sometimes the auto white balance leaves snow with a little blueish, but
c I use Photogenetics to clean that up later. (Fuji F700)

A neat little trick is to use the flash when it is snowing. This lights
up the nearest flakes.

http://www.clifford.ac/~alan/rotated...jpg.index.html

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
There is also a password autoresponder but, unless this a very
old message, a "tuna" will swim right through. )

Old September 9th 04, 09:42 PM
Carl_M

"Simon Brown" wrote in message ...

Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when the sun
is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff, don't seem to
exist in the digital world.

BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.

Take a sealable plastic bag and put the camera in it before you come
indoors. Digital cameras do not like water and the condensation if
you bring the cold camera into a warm high humidity environment may
cause damage. A plastic bag keeps the camera in a low humidity
environment until it has warmed up to room temperature.

As long as the exposore is reasonable I find it easier to make
adjustments after I have taken the photo. The options in paint shot
photo album or equivalent can get rid of thinks like blue snow. If
you want to spend more time and money getting your photos exactly
right a photo editing software is the way to go.

To prolong battery life keep the camera (as much as possible) and the
spare batteries warm (inside your coat) and switch off the LCD screen.
Old September 10th 04, 05:09 AM
PG

"Carl_M" wrote in message
om...
| "Simon Brown" wrote in message
|
| Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when
the sun
| is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff, don't
seem to
| exist in the digital world.
|
| BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.
|
| To prolong battery life keep the camera (as much as possible) and the
| spare batteries warm (inside your coat) and switch off the LCD screen.

I carry two spare batteries. That's always been plenty, over a day, with
as many as 200 - 300 photos taken.

Pete

Old September 10th 04, 05:56 AM
Simon Brown

Thanks for the advice, especially about the bag. Point noted.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

om...

Old September 10th 04, 09:41 AM
John Elgy

cupra wrote:

[...]

With my old (very old) film camera I always over exposed skiing shots by
a stop or two and this gave the snow a more enticing colour, white as
opposed to grey, but I haven't worked out how to do it with the didital
camera and end up doing it software later. Is it just my Olympus C990 or
is it a bit tricky to get action shots just at the right time with
digital cameras. I have to press the shutter realease about 1/2 a second
before the photo takes.

John