Best Web Sites for Snow Reports in Alps, Dolomites

Old December 5th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Peer

Default Best Web Sites for Snow Reports in Alps, Dolomites

What are some suggestions?

I'll be in Munich next week and have two weeks before the Christmas
crush to ski. Downhill and cross-country both. www.bergfex.at seems
OK for Austria but given that I can go almost anywhere within 6 hours of
Munich, I'd like to have some sites that cover a broad swath of central
Europe and are updated continually.

Any suggestions?

Old December 5th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:08:21 -0800, Peer wrote:

What are some suggestions?

I'll be in Munich next week and have two weeks before the Christmas
crush to ski. Downhill and cross-country both. www.bergfex.at seems
OK for Austria but given that I can go almost anywhere within 6 hours of
Munich, I'd like to have some sites that cover a broad swath of central
Europe and are updated continually.

Any suggestions?

awaits Ace's post with bated breath

--
-Pip
Old December 5th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:52:02 GMT, Pip Luscher
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:08:21 -0800, Peer wrote:

What are some suggestions?

I'll be in Munich next week and have two weeks before the Christmas
crush to ski. Downhill and cross-country both. www.bergfex.at seems
OK for Austria but given that I can go almost anywhere within 6 hours of
Munich, I'd like to have some sites that cover a broad swath of central
Europe and are updated continually.

Any suggestions?

awaits Ace's post with bated breath

Heh.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 6th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Peer

So far I have the following sites:

http://www.bergfex.com/

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...ew/default.asp

http://www.snow-forecast.com/

Any others? Commentary on accuracy or any other helpful hints?

Thanks!

Peer

Old December 6th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:10:22 -0800, Peer wrote:

So far I have the following sites:

http://www.bergfex.com/

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...ew/default.asp

http://www.snow-forecast.com/

Any others? Commentary on accuracy or any other helpful hints?

Well I can comment on the Ski Club figures - they're updated daily,
from a report sent back by the rep in resort if there is one or
figures provided by the tourist office if there isn't.

So for the 42 repped resorts in Europe and North America you'll get
the added value that the comments on skiing conditions are genuine and
made by someone who's actually skied that day. Snow depths are not
individually measured by us, but we do keep an eye on them in case
anyone's telling porkies (doesn't really happen).

Members can also view historical reports for any of the last 12 years
to compare on a week by week basis across resorts.

Aside to Pip: Happy now?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 6th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Florian Anwander

Hi Peer

I'll be in Munich next week and have two weeks before the Christmas
crush to ski.

Sitting in Munich: At the moment there is green fields.

Glacierresorts in Austria and on Zugspitze are opened. I was mid of
november in Stubai and it was fine on piste. Offpiste was close to nothing.
I don't expect skiable snow before Xmas in the lower regions.

I usually don't rely on the reports of the resorts, but prefer the
scientifically measured snowheights from the Bavarian and Austrian
avalanche services:

For bavaria
data:
http://www.lawinenwarndienst-bayern....onen/index.php
interactive map with measuring points:
http://www.lawinenwarndienst-bayern....aten/index.php

For Austria:
all regions:
http://www.lawine.at

interactive map with measuring stations
http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html?id=4

Data:
maps with snow heights:
http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html?id=23
http://homes.tiscover.com/RGN16at/la...oads/daten.gif
(these seems to be not available at the moment)

(Of course these are not measured on piste, but the values give a more
precise image how good the snow will be.
Old December 6th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:47:02 +0100, Ace wrote:

Members can also view historical reports for any of the last 12 years
to compare on a week by week basis across resorts.

Aside to Pip: Happy now?

Splendid, thank you.

--
-Pip
Old December 6th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Peer" wrote in message
| So far I have the following sites:
|
| http://www.bergfex.com/
|
| http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...ew/default.asp
|
| http://www.snow-forecast.com/
|

| Any others? Commentary on accuracy or any other helpful hints?
|
| Thanks!

http://skiinfo.com have been pretty accurate - they used to mail out
updates on a daily basis for the resort(s) of your choice as well. They
do depend to an extent on the data provided to them by the resorts, but
I can vouch for reasonable accuracy for their Bourg St Maurice/Les Arcs
figures - I could easily check them, being on the spot, and they were
pretty good. Also provide other info updated on a daily basis other than
the current snow depths - pistes open by colour, wind, temperature,
avalanche risk, and "powder alarms" (after a fresh snowfall at your
chosen resort(s))

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com