Lake effect weekend!

Old January 11th 05, 10:13 PM
bdubya

Default Lake effect weekend!

Note for midwesterners (and anybody else looking for something
different): looks like the lake effect should be dumping on the
Keweenaw late this week and through the weekend (if johndee.com is
right), so I'm planning to dodge MLK-weekend crowds and head for
Bohemia. If anybody's been curious about the place, this could be a
good weekend to check it out. Although it might be a bit bracing;
weather.com calls for a high of 0 on Sat., and a balmy 3 on Sun, which
ought to keep the lift lines short and the powder fresh. Just FYI.

bw

Old January 11th 05, 11:32 PM
LePheaux

"bdubya" wrote in message
news
Note for midwesterners (and anybody else looking for something
different): looks like the lake effect should be dumping on the
Keweenaw late this week and through the weekend (if johndee.com is
right), so I'm planning to dodge MLK-weekend crowds and head for
Bohemia. If anybody's been curious about the place, this could be a
good weekend to check it out. Although it might be a bit bracing;
weather.com calls for a high of 0 on Sat., and a balmy 3 on Sun, which
ought to keep the lift lines short and the powder fresh. Just FYI.

Where is this Bohemia you speak of ?

Old January 12th 05, 01:43 AM
Marty

"LePheaux" wrote in message
news

http://www.mtbohemia.com/home.html
--
Marty

Old January 12th 05, 01:44 AM
skier150

Bohemia is in the keewena penisula of the upper michigan. check out
www.mtbohemia.com

Old January 12th 05, 02:23 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:43:37 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

We're supposed to be getting lake effect too. Bet ours is better!

Pfaugh. You call that a lake? "Pond effect", maybe, but isn't it
really more of a desert/mountain effect? I mean, granted, it ought
to be better (bite me, btw), but still, you need a Real Lake to have a
lake effect. IMHO, YRSMV, etc.

bw

Old January 12th 05, 02:41 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:32:01 -0600, "LePheaux"
wrote:

Where is this Bohemia you speak of ?

It's at 47d23.5'N, 88d0.5'W. To put it differently, it's about 45
minutes past the ass end of nowhere. Or, about 20 minutes this side
of the edge of the world (Copper Harbor, MI, and if you don't believe
that's the edge of the world, you've never been there in winter). Or,
not quite dead-center in Lake Superior, but as close as you can get
without a boat. I've raved about it in a trip report or two in the
past - for details, see google and the URL others have thoughtfully
posted.

We typically stay in Copper Harbor for the superior nightlife (TWO
bars), although Lac LaBelle is closer.

bw

Old January 12th 05, 07:01 PM
uglymoney

wrote:

We're supposed to be getting lake effect too. Bet ours is better!

Pfaugh. You call that a lake? "Pond effect", maybe, but isn't it
really more of a desert/mountain effect? I mean, granted, it ought
to be better (bite me, btw), but still, you need a Real Lake to have a
lake effect. IMHO, YRSMV, etc.

Lets compare.

Salt Lake:
1,700 square miles (75x28)
maximum depth 35 feet

Lake Superior:
32,000 square miles (350x150)
Maximum depth 1,333 feet
Average depth 489 feet

BTW - anyone else having trouble getting messages through at rsam?
I've sent a couple that way that haven't made it up. Just gone. I
resent this one (originally crossposted) a couple minutes ago, so
we'll see.

nate

Old January 12th 05, 07:12 PM
Walt

uglymoney wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:23:18 -0600, bdubya wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:43:37 -0600, "pigo" wrote:

We're supposed to be getting lake effect too. Bet ours is better!

Pfaugh. You call that a lake? "Pond effect", maybe, but isn't it
really more of a desert/mountain effect? I mean, granted, it ought
to be better (bite me, btw), but still, you need a Real Lake to have a
lake effect. IMHO, YRSMV, etc.

Lets compare.

Salt Lake:
1,700 square miles (75x28)
maximum depth 35 feet

Lake Superior:
32,000 square miles (350x150)
Maximum depth 1,333 feet
Average depth 489 feet

Plus the ice fishing on the Great Salt Lake is awfully poor.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 12th 05, 11:52 PM
pigo

wrote:

We're supposed to be getting lake effect too. Bet ours is better!

Pfaugh. You call that a lake? "Pond effect", maybe, but isn't it
really more of a desert/mountain effect? I mean, granted, it ought
to be better (bite me, btw), but still, you need a Real Lake to have a
lake effect. IMHO, YRSMV, etc.

Lets compare.

Water temp. vs. air temp.
Amount of lift (aerographic?) between lake and Mtns.
Total amount of snowfall generated by said "lake effect".
Quality of snow generated.....
Angle of terrain where snow falls in order to take advantage of previously
mentioned "lake effect".

Your "lake" may be bigger but our ''effect" is better.