Death, danger, patrol, life

Old January 7th 05, 06:53 PM
Black Metal Martha

Walt wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
Walt wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

Fear keeps me alive.

I know what you mean. Great band.

heh heh...They're one of the few punk rock bands I like.

Sturgeons Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Walt's Corollary: The other ten percent isn't so hot either.
Especially rock bands.

You are so right. I've worked part time at rock concerts for 15 years.
I've seen them all. I would say I like around 5% of the bands. Most are
****.

Martha

Old January 7th 05, 07:22 PM
Walt

Black Metal Martha wrote:
Walt wrote:

Sturgeons Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Walt's Corollary: The other ten percent isn't so hot either.
Especially rock bands.

You are so right. I've worked part time at rock concerts for 15 years.
I've seen them all. I would say I like around 5% of the bands. Most are
****.

Uh huh. I used to work in the business full time. It seemed like every
rock event had a lineup like

The Hoovers
The Shop Vacs
Negative Pressure
The Dirt Devils
Big Daddy Electrolux and the Attachments
The Vacuum Effect
Sluppee Straw
The Dust Busters
The Undertows
H Ross Perot and the Giant Sucking Sound

Maybe you've worked with these bands too?

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 8th 05, 12:41 AM
rosco

yunlong wrote:

Black Metal Martha wrote:

I've had a board crash into my back. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, but
it's scary nontheless.

Skiing is a sport; scary, some call it thrilling, is a part of deal;
ski defensively and use common sense is the way to enjoy the sport
safely.

No fear,
IS

That is one of the most ignorant replies I have read in quite some time.
I equate that with saying it is okay to ignore traffic laws because
accidents are part of the deal and you must drive defensively or you
will be a victim.

Non-self-inflicted injury is NOT part of the deal. Defensive skiing is
a good idea but that does not give stupid, brain-dead thrill seekers
carte blanche to terrorize the common slopes.

If you haven't noticed, there is some seriously SCARY behavior going on
out there and the skier's code should be part of everyone's mantra. The
"thrill" should be the challenge of the hill, not with the ignorant
*******s that show no "common sense" by thinking they can control forces
of nature by wishing.

RAC

Old January 8th 05, 01:52 AM
ant

"rosco" wrote in message

yunlong wrote:
[...]

Hear hear. I wish a few more people would speak up about this, before this
aggressive, dangerous snow riding becomes accepted as "the norm" at resorts.

ant

Old January 8th 05, 02:19 AM
yunlong

rosco wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Black Metal Martha wrote:

I've had a board crash into my back. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt,

but
it's scary nontheless.

Skiing is a sport; scary, some call it thrilling, is a part of

deal;
ski defensively and use common sense is the way to enjoy the sport
safely.

No fear,
IS

That is one of the most ignorant replies I have read in quite some

time.

Why? Because your ignorant "equate"?

I equate that with saying it is okay to ignore traffic laws because

accidents are part of the deal and you must drive defensively or you
will be a victim.

"drive defensively" doesn't mean "to ignore traffic laws," and what
kind of "traffic laws" should skiing have, short of avoiding collision,
you think?

Non-self-inflicted injury is NOT part of the deal. Defensive skiing

is
a good idea but that does not give stupid, brain-dead thrill seekers
carte blanche to terrorize the common slopes.

guess you don't know how to "equate."

IS

Old January 8th 05, 02:42 AM
Dave M

yunlong wrote:

rosco wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Black Metal Martha wrote:

I've had a board crash into my back. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt,

but

it's scary nontheless.

Skiing is a sport; scary, some call it thrilling, is a part of

deal;

ski defensively and use common sense is the way to enjoy the sport
safely.

No fear,
IS

That is one of the most ignorant replies I have read in quite some

time.

Why? Because your ignorant "equate"?

Yes, I am sure that my ignorant does not equate. Thank you.

I equate that with saying it is okay to ignore traffic laws because

accidents are part of the deal and you must drive defensively or you
will be a victim.

"drive defensively" doesn't mean "to ignore traffic laws," and what
kind of "traffic laws" should skiing have, short of avoiding collision,
you think?

Responsibility code? Maybe or ... yield to the right... or if you are
a out of control dumbass, you should be prosecuted for slamming into
some poor unsuspecting skier who is minding her own business .., unless
youa re flatboarding in which case you are held blameless ... be the ski
.... Grashopper..... be the ski.

Non-self-inflicted injury is NOT part of the deal. Defensive skiing

is

a good idea but that does not give stupid, brain-dead thrill seekers
carte blanche to terrorize the common slopes.

guess you don't know how to "equate."

ISO

OH... OK ... more drivel to come????

If you haven't noticed, there is some seriously SCARY behavior going

on

out there and the skier's code should be part of everyone's mantra.

The

"thrill" should be the challenge of the hill, not with the ignorant
*******s that show no "common sense" by thinking they can control

forces of nature by wishing.

RAC

Yeah, that made sense. Must not be the same poster

Dave M.

Old January 8th 05, 04:21 AM
rosco

snip ignorant reply

"drive defensively" doesn't mean "to ignore traffic laws," and what
kind of "traffic laws" should skiing have, short of avoiding collision,
you think?

Yunlong, here is the skier's code:

Always stay in control. You must be able to stop, or avoid other
people or objects.
People ahead of you have the right-of-way. It is your responsibility to
avoid them.
Do not stop where you obstruct a trail or are not visible from above.
Before starting downhill or merging onto a trail, look uphill and yield
to others.
If you are involved in or witness a collision or accident, you must
remain at the scene and identify yourself to the Ski Patrol.
Always use proper devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
Observe and obey all posted signs and warnings.
Keep off closed trails and closed areas.
You must not use lifts or terrain if your ability is impaired through
use of alcohol or drugs.
You must have sufficient physical dexterity, ability and knowledge to
safely load, ride and unload lifts. If in doubt, ask the lift attendant.

These are the traffic laws of ski resorts. If you violate them, you are
subjecting yourself to criminal prosecution. No joke:

http://www.ago.state.co.us/PRESREL/presrl00/prsrl91.stm

This is Colorado specific, but precedent has already been set. Should I
explain that further? I know I used big words, but if you ask your dad,
maybe he will help you with it.

BTW equate *is* in any adult-sized English dictionary you ignorant twit.
Here is another sample sentence: I equate your apparent intelligence
to that of a drowned rat. How about that? And I didn't even use
spellcheck!

RAC

Old January 8th 05, 06:22 AM
yunlong

rosco wrote:
snip ignorant reply

[...]

A law without a specify standard cannot be enforced, thus invalid.

If you violate them, you are
subjecting yourself to criminal prosecution. No joke:

http://www.ago.state.co.us/PRESREL/presrl00/prsrl91.stm

This is Colorado specific, but precedent has already been set.

Should I
explain that further? I know I used big words, but if you ask your

dad,
maybe he will help you with it.

In California, we do distinct the difference between "codes" and
"laws."

BTW equate *is* in any adult-sized English dictionary you ignorant

twit.
Here is another sample sentence: I equate your apparent

intelligence

"ski defensively and use common sense is the way to enjoy the sport
safely" was my statement, where did you get yours?

to that of a drowned rat. How about that? And I didn't even use
spellcheck!

Fancy, it sure reflects a drowned rat's self-righteous.

IS

RAC

Old January 8th 05, 01:43 PM
Mary Malmros

yunlong wrote:

"drive defensively" doesn't mean "to ignore traffic laws," and what
kind of "traffic laws" should skiing have, short of avoiding collision,
you think?

Skiing _does_ have several "traffic laws", none of which is as
simple-minded as, "avoid collision". In the United States, these "laws"
are expressed as the responsibility code, which can be found at
http://www.nsp.org/nsp2002/safety_in...e.asp?mode=yrc. Most, if
not all, ski areas in the United States explicitly state that sliders
must comply with this code as a condition for using the area. It's
usually posted prominently and in such ways that you'd be hard-pressed
to claim non-wilfull ignorance; therefore, I'm surprised that an
experienced slider such as yourself doesn't seem to be aware of it.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 8th 05, 03:28 PM
yunlong

Mary Malmros wrote:
yunlong wrote:

[...]

So you don't know the difference between "codes" and "laws"?

In California we do distinguish them. When you get hurt in a skiing
accident, you may file civil sue to seek compensation (on your own),
but it is not a prosecutable criminal offense (by the state).

IS