Death, danger, patrol, life

Old January 5th 05, 05:07 AM
Wayne Decker

Default Death, danger, patrol, life

Death and injuries are all too comon in our sports. They are all tragic.
Here in the Eastern Sierra, inspite of all the efforts of our wonderful and
IHO truly noble patrol and safty team--we have our share. . .

I've witnessed many. The 37 yr old who had never practiced in the park
attempting the last kicker on the "Parkasaurus" (which was supposed to be
closed to the public)who landed flat on his face on the ice and drove his
nose into his brain--in front of his famly. The kid who decided to use the
berm around tower 3 on Stump Alley and flew his board right into the back
of the neck of a skier standing, STANDING, IN FULL VIEW below him. My
collegue--who thought he could ski the trees--but was stopped abruptly by
one. The skier who thought she could ski the Gravy Shute, bounced off the
walls, then off that big outcrop at the bottom--ending upside down in the
snow below with a broken neck. The boarder who was found out of bounds who
had upended himself somehow into the powder--literally buried himself alive
upsidedown with just his board showing above the snow; he suffucated there.
The other one who was trapped for days in a bowl he couldn't get out of (out
of bounds again). He died of dehydreation. They know because they found his
feet--in his boots--and that's all. He was dead before he was eaten. The
weekend worrier who gave himself a heart attack while attempting the ski the
bumbs just to skier's right of chair 3--falling, sliding and stabbing
another skier with one of his poles (both perished). We had a death in
South Park just last weekend. I don't know the details yet.

I myself have been in the partol room twice--once because of my own
foolishness--I don't want you to think that I think I'm above all this. I
was showing off--that was 30 years ago. And once 3 weeks ago when a 17 year
old kid came out of the trees on his heel side without looking--and slammed
right into ME--blowing me right out of my skiis. HE dislocated his
shoulder--I had no serious injuries, ( I roll pretty well) but because of my
age they wanted to check me out anyway.

All too often though accidents are preventable-- if we all knew and
practiced the code.

And it is still hella-fun!
--
I ski, therefore I am

Old January 6th 05, 05:16 AM
ant

"Wayne Decker" wrote
(snip good stuff)
All too often though accidents are preventable-- if we all knew and
practiced the code.

Great post.

ant

Old January 7th 05, 04:11 AM
Wayne Decker

Thanks

--
I ski, therefore I am
"ant" wrote in message

"Wayne Decker" wrote
(snip good stuff)

Old January 7th 05, 03:43 PM
Dave Stallard

Wayne Decker wrote:

[...]

Wayne,

Were all of the above fatalities? Including the snowboard in the
neck, etc? Was the snowboarder in question prosecuted?

Dave
Old January 7th 05, 05:23 PM
Black Metal Martha

Wayne Decker wrote:

(snipped)

Wow, thanks for that list. Some of those definitely deserve a Darwin
Award nomination.

I've had a board crash into my back. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, but
it's scary nontheless.

Martha

Old January 7th 05, 06:24 PM
yunlong

Black Metal Martha wrote:
I've had a board crash into my back. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, but
it's scary nontheless.

Skiing is a sport; scary, some call it thrilling, is a part of deal;
ski defensively and use common sense is the way to enjoy the sport
safely.

No fear,
IS

Martha

Old January 7th 05, 06:28 PM
Black Metal Martha

yunlong wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
I've had a board crash into my back. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt,

but
it's scary nontheless.

Skiing is a sport; scary, some call it thrilling, is a part of deal;
ski defensively and use common sense is the way to enjoy the sport
safely.

No fear,
IS

Fear keeps me alive. I'm not talking about irrational fear. Realistic
combined with common sense it's kept me alive for 45 years.

Martha

Old January 7th 05, 06:34 PM
Walt

Black Metal Martha wrote:

Fear keeps me alive.

I know what you mean. Great band.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...x6ibk596akv~T1

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 7th 05, 06:39 PM
Black Metal Martha

Walt wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

Fear keeps me alive.

I know what you mean. Great band.

heh heh...They're one of the few punk rock bands I like.

Martha

Old January 7th 05, 06:45 PM
Walt

Black Metal Martha wrote:
Walt wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

Fear keeps me alive.

I know what you mean. Great band.

heh heh...They're one of the few punk rock bands I like.

Sturgeons Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Walt's Corollary: The other ten percent isn't so hot either.
Especially rock bands.

--
//-Walt
//