Tour Operator Web Sites

Old October 10th 04, 10:34 AM
Hywel

Default Tour Operator Web Sites

Anyone else think that they're generally rubbish? I've been mucking
about trying to find availability for half term 2005 for a group of 6,
and get every conceivable usability failure from empty search results
(http://www.igluski.com/ - apparently, they have nothing for the entire
season) to operators telling me that there's nothing for the week I've
chosen, but how about three weeks before?

None of the sites I've tried (all the high street types, Iglu, 1Ski,
IfYouSki) allow searching on date-only to return anything that's
available.

Many of them use JavaScript to handle the drop-down selections so when
you hit the "back" button the fields you've already completed have been
helpfully reset.

Crytal's search results indicate that there are rooms available, then
the booking process tells you otherwise. They don't have UK departure
airports for accommodation in La Plagne.

It's clear that some of these operators have spent a lot of money
linking in to their booking systems, but they've consistently done a
****-poor job of it.

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
Old October 10th 04, 10:42 AM
Simon Brown

Hi Hywel,

It's going to be more difficult to get room this year as Easter is early and
everywhere's packed up until after Easter. However smaller local hotels have
room so I guess the same's true for other resorts. At least that's the case
here.
--
Simon Brown
www.laax.ch

t...

Old October 10th 04, 12:52 PM
Hywel

In article , Simon Brown says...
Hi Hywel,

It's going to be more difficult to get room this year as Easter is early and
everywhere's packed up until after Easter. However smaller local hotels have
room so I guess the same's true for other resorts. At least that's the case
here.

My last post was sent in anger. As a web developer I cannot understand
what must be going through the minds of the people making the site.
Those belonging to small, even independent, operators, presumably with a
smaller budget, are generally far better.

Anyway, I've just managed for to find a nice-looking chalet in
Courmayeur for 6. Much relief all round.

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
Old October 10th 04, 01:20 PM
Simon Brown

Hi,

I agree about the websites, some companies just don't realise how important
the web presence is.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

t...

Old October 10th 04, 10:13 PM
Nick Hounsome

"Hywel" wrote in message
t...
Anyone else think that they're generally rubbish? I've been mucking
about trying to find availability for half term 2005 for a group of 6,
and get every conceivable usability failure from empty search results
(http://www.igluski.com/ - apparently, they have nothing for the entire

I found iglu excellent last season but then I was looking for late deals. I
agree they are a bit useless at the moment.

http://www.kwik-ski.co.uk/ seems pretty good for listing but doesn't give
much details
like iglu does when they have the holidays.

The worst seem to be the actual tour operators.

Old October 10th 04, 10:25 PM
David Off

Hywel wrote:

My last post was sent in anger.

Mad as hell eh? Have you ever tried developing web sites for corporates.
I've spend 10 years doing Web/Java development and most of the time the
people running such projects are idiots who don't understand the first
thing about the Web... my boss at BT Ipswich with home I worked on
Talk21.com and the Amstrad phone thingy being the exception.

Most of the web sites I worked on seemed to be either to impress the
board or pension funds.
Old October 11th 04, 06:15 AM
Hywel

In article , David
Off says...
Hywel wrote:

My last post was sent in anger.

Mad as hell eh? Have you ever tried developing web sites for corporates.

Yup. No comment.

I've spend 10 years doing Web/Java development and most of the time the
people running such projects are idiots who don't understand the first
thing about the Web... my boss at BT Ipswich with home I worked on
Talk21.com and the Amstrad phone thingy being the exception.

Most of the web sites I worked on seemed to be either to impress the
board or pension funds.

I work for a company that develops financial software for IFAs,
including a real-time investment, protection, and pension quote portal.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/
Old October 11th 04, 08:05 AM
David Off

Hywel wrote:

I work for a company that develops financial software for IFAs,
including a real-time investment, protection, and pension quote portal.

ok well at least there is some money in finances... I'm sure TOs have
the same people spec'ing the sites but wanting it done by some ski rep
who may have done a bit of MS Access and who will stay on working in
Kingston over the summer for 70 quid a week.