Determining Whether Right Footed or Goofy Footed

Old January 29th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
No Way

Default Determining Whether Right Footed or Goofy Footed

Hi, I just purchased a board for my daughter and the rep at the store
had determined that she was right footed. My daughter told me that
she was pushed from behind by the rep and her right foot was the foot
that had kicked out first to catch her balance.

So, the installer had put her bindings installed such that her right
foot is at the rear. I thought that if you were deemed to be right
footed, the right foot should be placed in the front or, am I out of
it?

Also, if it helps, when my daughter plays soccer, her right foot is
the dominant foot. As well, she feel more comfortable when she does
her spins in her dance classes on her right foot. TIA.
Old January 29th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

No Way wrote in news:5k4rr2lr6rl5be0fac6q1m4qdlkltqgsur@
4ax.com:

So, the installer had put her bindings installed such that her right
foot is at the rear. I thought that if you were deemed to be right
footed, the right foot should be placed in the front or, am I out of
it?

The whole thing seems a lottery... have a look at the FAQ and there are
a few techniques in there, but for me they give different results.

Also, if it helps, when my daughter plays soccer, her right foot is
the dominant foot. As well, she feel more comfortable when she does
her spins in her dance classes on her right foot. TIA.

I would play soccer (football with a dominant right foot and I ride
regular. Have you got a skateboard that you can just stand her on and
roll along a street for a short while (you pushing), just to see which
is more comfortable?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ
Old January 29th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 29, 7:23 am, Switters wrote:
No Way wrote in news:5k4rr2lr6rl5be0fac6q1m4qdlkltqgsur@
4ax.com:

So, the installer had put her bindings installed such that her right
foot is at the rear. I thought that if you were deemed to be right
footed, the right foot should be placed in the front or, am I out of
it?The whole thing seems a lottery... have a look at the FAQ and there are

a few techniques in there, but for me they give different results.

Also, if it helps, when my daughter plays soccer, her right foot is
the dominant foot. As well, she feel more comfortable when she does
her spins in her dance classes on her right foot. TIA.I would play soccer (football with a dominant right foot and I ride

--
The only powder to get high on, falls from the sky.http://www.vpas.org.uk/- Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here -http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ

I agree with the Switters. The push method is one of the common
techniques used. But my understanding is the same as No Way. If you
lead with the right foot in the push test, that would indicate you
should ride goofy, with the right foot at the front of the board.
Another test is to watch as the person takes a first step up a flight
of stairs, without knowing what you are looking for. Whichever foot
they lead with is supposed to be the indication. Another test is to
try running and then sliding across a smooth floor in socks, and see
which foot you lead with.

But I think any of these methods is far from conclusive. If unsure,
I'd go with the regular stance. Most people ride that way and it
makes riding the lift with others a bit easier, as all the boards
align parallel, instead of pointing into one another.

Old January 29th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

The PSIA consensus these days seems to be set 'em up duck (both feet
slightly angled so that the stance is symmetrical) and let them sort it
out on the hill. If she finds herself sliding consistently one way or
the other, you have your answer.

Neil
Old January 29th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 29, 1:29 am, No Way wrote:
Hi, I just purchased a board for my daughter and the rep at the store
had determined that she was right footed. My daughter told me that
she was pushed from behind by the rep and her right foot was the foot
that had kicked out first to catch her balance.

So, the installer had put her bindings installed such that her right
foot is at the rear. I thought that if you were deemed to be right
footed, the right foot should be placed in the front or, am I out of
it?

Also, if it helps, when my daughter plays soccer, her right foot is
the dominant foot.

This does help, and I think it's the best indicator. The "push" test
and the "slide on the floor" test might work, but they might not be
reliable if done just once or twice. Kicking a ball over and over
again mostly with her right foot is pretty nearly conclusive evidence
that she is right-footed. Right-footed = regular, so right foot in
back on the board. Of course, as Neil suggests, if she uses a duck
stance she'll be able to ride switch (backward) easily too, which for
her would be left foot in front.

Joe Ramirez

Old January 29th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 29, 1:29 am, No Way wrote:
[...]

her would be right foot in front, left in back.

Joe Ramirez

Old January 29th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 29, 10:51 am, Neil Gendzwill wrote:
wrote:

Kicking a ball over and over
again mostly with her right foot is pretty nearly conclusive evidence
that she is right-footed. Right-footed = regular, so right foot in
back on the board.

Not necessarily. I'm strongly right-footed, and just as strongly goofy,
so I'm not sure there's any correlation.

Interesting -- maybe you have some ambidextrous tendencies. Still, I
think your experience is unusual. IMO, the whole business of
determining whether one is regular or goofy could be demystified a
bit, especially considering that anyone who can learn to ride at all
probably can learn to ride either way (and to a beginner, they don't
feel at that different ). I would try to link the decision to things
people already know, without inventing new tests:
1. If you are right-handed, assume you are also right-footed unless
you know for a fact that your left foot is dominant (e.g., from sports
involving kicking).
2. If you are right-footed, assume you will ride regular unless you
know for a fact that you should be goofy (e.g., from other sideways
stance sports), in which case you don't need to be asking in the first
place!
3. Then sort it out on the slopes.

Joe Ramirez

Old January 29th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

wrote

Interesting -- maybe you have some ambidextrous tendencies.

None. I am most decidedly unidextrous.

2. If you are right-footed, assume you will ride regular unless you
know for a fact that you should be goofy (e.g., from other sideways
stance sports), in which case you don't need to be asking in the first
place!

Eh. About 10% of people are left-handed, but over 30% are goofy. I think
it has something to do with not only your footedness, but how you prefer to
"drive" - I have always initiated turns from my front foot, and have never
been one to kick the tail back and forth.

I still think the most reliable non-riding test is the old ice/linoleum
floor test - if you run and slide on ice or a splippery floor, which foot is
forward?

3. Then sort it out on the slopes.

Always the best way, but you wouldn't believe the setups people get stuck
with from shops. Lots of kids don't know any better, so they just struggle
with however the monkey at Sport Chek set it up.

Neil

Old January 29th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian G. Becker

Neil Gendzwill schrieb:
wrote

Interesting -- maybe you have some ambidextrous tendencies.

None. I am most decidedly unidextrous.

Always the best way, but you wouldn't believe the setups people get stuck
with from shops. Lots of kids don't know any better, so they just struggle
with however the monkey at Sport Chek set it up.

That is why you should take lessons. My instructor in an advanced 2 day
à 2 hours - course observed me, took me and my board to the side and
just flipped it to duck stance. And I was happier

Krischan