Seeking 12yr Old Beginner Snowboarding Equipment Recommendations and Advices

Old January 12th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
No Way

Default Seeking 12yr Old Beginner Snowboarding Equipment Recommendations and Advices

Greetings,

My 12 yr old daughter wishes to start snowboarding and I have signed
her up for a 5 week beginner course at a local ski hill.

What I wish to find out is what would be a decent snowboard equipment
for a beginner at her age. I understand that the main equipment will
consist of the board, the bindings, boots and a helmet, but have no
idea as to what make and models are appropriate for my daughter.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can make some recommendations
for my daughter's snowboarding equipment. I don't like going into a
shop without any knowledge and purchase whatever the store rep
suggests. Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.
Old January 13th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
No Way

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask was what useful or necessary
accessories or items I should also purchase for her to help her enjoy
boarding more? Thanks again.
Old January 14th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:54:19 GMT, No Way wrote:

Greetings,

My 12 yr old daughter wishes to start snowboarding and I have signed
her up for a 5 week beginner course at a local ski hill.

What I wish to find out is what would be a decent snowboard equipment
for a beginner at her age. I understand that the main equipment will
consist of the board, the bindings, boots and a helmet, but have no
idea as to what make and models are appropriate for my daughter.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can make some recommendations
for my daughter's snowboarding equipment. I don't like going into a
shop without any knowledge and purchase whatever the store rep
suggests. Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

I guess some of the other regulars will be along shortly, but for now
here's my two pence worth.

Generally, boots are considered the single most important item.
Ill-fitting boots will spoil anyone's day, but this is especially true
for a child. Given that your daughter is still growing, I think buying
at this stage is not good sense - any good show on the slopes should
have a decent selection of rental boots. Your choice will be slightly
limited (they'll probably only stock one make), but then it will
probably be of at least avg quality (because they want to get maximum
rental income out of them).

As for your last point - I think you should get over your
preconceptions, and listen to what the guys in the shop tell you.
Most will be snowboarders themselves, and have no interest in tucking
you up with inferior kit. They will genuinely want you/your daughter
to be happy - that way, you're likely to come back and spend more
money with them.
--
Champ
Old January 15th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
GoHabsGo

No Way wrote in news48gq2h3d7qmmejpbs04cfaju5b56gq4a5@
4ax.com:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask was what useful or necessary
accessories or items I should also purchase for her to help her enjoy
boarding more? Thanks again.

For a beginner, I would definately recommend some padded shorts to protect
the hips, gluteus and tail bone. Wrist guards would also be a good
investment. And Goggles.
Old January 16th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
No Way

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:14:56 +0000, Champ wrote:

[...]

Great, great, thanks for your insightful reply. Really appreciate it!
Old January 18th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian G. Becker

GoHabsGo schrieb:
No Way wrote in news48gq2h3d7qmmejpbs04cfaju5b56gq4a5@
4ax.com:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask was what useful or necessary
accessories or items I should also purchase for her to help her enjoy
boarding more? Thanks again.

For a beginner, I would definately recommend some padded shorts to protect
the hips, gluteus and tail bone. Wrist guards would also be a good
investment. And Goggles.

The correct way of falling should be teached in the first lessons
(without beeing strapped in the board ), so if you pad the behind,
that will only encourage to not make yourself falling flat to absorb the
impact.
So I'd reccommend at maximum knee protectors (you can recycle them from
the inline-skating-equip) but underline the need of wrist protectors.
Sometimes you just can't get the hands out of the way. And a helmet
would be wise too, the muscles in the neck can only take so much weight
in case of an impact before they give out.

Renting the equipment is a good idea. If she doesn't get the hang on it,
you don't loose money. If she gets addicted it can only become better
for her with own equip afterwards. (And then go to a shop as was "Champ"
said.)

Krischan
Old January 18th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:19:21 +0100, "Christian G. Becker"
wrote:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask was what useful or necessary
accessories or items I should also purchase for her to help her enjoy
boarding more? Thanks again.

For a beginner, I would definately recommend some padded shorts to protect
the hips, gluteus and tail bone. Wrist guards would also be a good
investment. And Goggles.

The correct way of falling should be teached in the first lessons

There's a correct way of falling!

So *that's* where I've been going wrong all these years :-)
--
Champ
Old January 18th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian G. Becker

wrote:

The correct way of falling should be teached in the first lessons

There's a correct way of falling!

So *that's* where I've been going wrong all these years :-)

Maybe you were already talented enough

There is - like with Judo.

Krischan
Old January 19th 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ

wrote:

The correct way of falling should be teached in the first lessons

There's a correct way of falling!

So *that's* where I've been going wrong all these years :-)

Maybe you were already talented enough

I'm a freestyle faller, me.
--
Champ