advice on technique for steep ice

Old February 8th 05, 05:10 PM
Steve

Default advice on technique for steep ice

On steep icy slopes, I tend to over turn and slide side ways for
several seconds on either my heel or toe edge. I have watched good
skiers and snowboarders and they never over turn keeping their board at
a maximum of 30 degrees from the fall line carving and holding turns
even on ice. They link their turns about 1 turn every 1.5 seconds. (I
compare this to my situation where on ice I slide out to well beyond 45
degrees and by the time I recover and link to the next turn al least 3
seconds have passed. I pick up to much speed and the ice can't hold my
edge)? Any advice???

Old February 8th 05, 05:40 PM
David Brown

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On steep icy slopes, I tend to over turn and slide side ways for
several seconds on either my heel or toe edge.

I'm the same as you here, but then I'm not very good on steep ice......I
loose my bottle. I think if you fall more in to the fall line (as in almost
straight line it) then you can hold an edge better, but I'm to scared to try
:O)

Old February 8th 05, 05:49 PM
bri719

Steve wrote:

On steep icy slopes, I tend to over turn and slide side ways for
several seconds on either my heel or toe edge. I have watched good
skiers and snowboarders and they never over turn keeping their board at
a maximum of 30 degrees from the fall line carving and holding turns
even on ice. They link their turns about 1 turn every 1.5 seconds. (I
compare this to my situation where on ice I slide out to well beyond 45
degrees and by the time I recover and link to the next turn al least 3
seconds have passed. I pick up to much speed and the ice can't hold my
edge)? Any advice???

sounds like it might be partly confidence, partly technique....but
that's just a first guess.

1st, does your board have edges in good condition? I'm presuming they
are. mine are pretty good, and I still slide out once in a while
(mostly on long patches of ice at the bottom of a run or something, if I
didn't know they were there). 2nd, you need to have enough confidence
to go fast and make turns at speed. do you? 3rd, you need to
understand that the technique of turning (particularly on ice!) is not
completely throwing your board out in front of / behind you, but making
small adjustments while your board is beneath you -- meaning, the vast
majority of your weight is squarely over the center line of your board.
keep your knees bent and weight forward, bend at the waist a little more
if you have to.

when encountering ice, I try to keep all these in mind and it seems to
help immensely. I particularly make sure I have enough weight on my
forward foot, my board is nice and flat while gliding and don't make any
rash moves-- then end up making turns using about 1/2 as much
movement/effort as normal. you can't turn quite as sharp on ice in
general, and probably shouldn't try until much later.

practice small turns as suggested on a normal slope on packed snow and
gradually work your way up to a steeper run and where it might be a
little icier and I think you'll end up doing fine.

good luck

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old February 8th 05, 06:38 PM
Andrej

Is it possible that your board is too short for your weight and can't hold
the edge?

Old February 11th 05, 05:07 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

bri719 wrote in
:

Steve wrote:

rash moves-- then end up making turns using about 1/2 as much
movement/effort as normal. you can't turn quite as sharp on ice in
general, and probably shouldn't try until much later.

I'll just toss this out there, but my understanding is that many
people tend to panic a bit and not get enough on edge while on ice,
in effect letting the board slide out from under them. As others
have said this is also a center of gravity thing.