Modifying a Thule box

Old July 25th 03, 11:19 PM
pheski

Default Modifying a Thule box

My son has 'acquired' my old Thule box for the top of his Subaru Outback.
When he opens the back it lifts up and hits the back of the box and doesn't
open completely.

Does anyone have any experience with drilling new holes several inches
further back and moving a Thule box several inches further forward?

My primary concern is that this increases both the amount of 'sail surface'
under the box and the length of the lever arm. At 75 mph (they drive faster
in Montana than I do in Maine) this seems to me to be potentially more than
a trivial increase in lifting force applied to the box/rack and rack/car
attachments.

I can't imagine it would have any impact on front wheel function.

Anyone done this and lived to tell the tale?

Peter

Old July 26th 03, 05:42 PM
revyakin

I posted a similar question to rec.alt.subaru and rsn about a year
ago. I have an Impreza OBS wagon, which is even smaller than the full
sized outback. I got an old Yakima (I believe) box as a kind gift from
Gary Jacobson and had to drill new holes to move it quite a bit
forward to fit onto on my small car, even though my Subaru dealer
discoraged me from doing that. As a result the front unsupported half
of the box hangs by about 50% of its length I drove with it at 80
mph (not to say you son won't drive faster in Montana) and did not
have any problems so far. No problems with car control. I did
reinforce the holes from inside out with short (10") stainless steel
rods though. I do check the box once in a while for cracks and stuff.

Old July 28th 03, 03:17 PM
Dell Todd

"pheski" wrote in message ...
My son has 'acquired' my old Thule box for the top of his Subaru Outback.
When he opens the back it lifts up and hits the back of the box and doesn't
open completely.

Does anyone have any experience with drilling new holes several inches
further back and moving a Thule box several inches further forward?

My primary concern is that this increases both the amount of 'sail surface'
under the box and the length of the lever arm. At 75 mph (they drive faster
in Montana than I do in Maine) this seems to me to be potentially more than
a trivial increase in lifting force applied to the box/rack and rack/car
attachments.

I can't imagine it would have any impact on front wheel function.

Anyone done this and lived to tell the tale?

Peter

For the same reason I had to redrill my box on our Audi 100 wagon 3
years ago, and it is fine. My drilled holes look just like the OEM
holes. I put some electrical tape over the unused holes to keep out
water, and the thing is always dry, expect for trace amounts of
occassional melted snow off skis. The front overhang was a visual
concern originally. I didnt like the way it looked in terms of all
that load forward of the front bar, and the lift effect, as the box is
now right over the windshield, and takes up that breeze. However, it
has not been a problem, and we have driven in all kinds of conditions
and speeds (high speeds included). Never a concern. The rack is only
rated for so much load, not nearly enough to lift the front end of a
car off the road. And the box is strong enough to support forward
loads. Although I do pack it carefully with heavier things towards the
amidships.