Roller skiing protective gear

Old May 10th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Travis

Default Roller skiing protective gear

On May 9, 8:01 pm, "Jeff Clausen" wrote:
As a long-time lurker, this thread seems to be deja-vu all over again. I
think JFT played the foil marvelously during the last go around if memory
serves me correctly.

jc

"Randy AKA Cubby" wrote in ... This is normally a hugely supportive,

serious snippage

Wow. This certainly has been an interesting thread.

protection beyond gloves (which are needed to protect the hands from
blistering when poleing anyways) and a helmet. As many other posters
said, there are inherent risks involved in any active sport, and it's
a risk vs. reward analysis that must be preformed by each
participant. I learned very early on that falling on rollerskis is
NOT a very good option. So I take precautions when I start the
rollerski season by skiing on easy terrain and gradually build back to
going full out again on the road (and FWIW I consider myself an expert
skiier). I also have to support some of the comments about the
negative effect that too much fear of falling can have on technique,
as well as the detriment that too much cumbersom equipment can have on
technique. With that being said, I can't imagine that I would
continute to rollerski if I felt I needed as much protection as you
are talking about. From my 15 plus years of experience as a fully
certified alpine ski instructor, former club racer and high school
coach, I can say that one of the most limiting factors, performance
wise, for any skiier is fear. As others have recommended, you
probably would benefit more from addressing the reasons why you feel
the need for so much protective gear. And I'm not intending to be
condesending here at all. But if you are afraid of falling, or your
skills are such that falling is a likely possiblity you may seriously
want to consider alternative training, alternative rollerski routes,
or a combination of the two.

To JFT: Though I do somewhat agree with some of your points I think
you came out of the gate a wee bit harsh on the OP. (Though he did
turne up the hyperbole in the Vietnam, toe tag, body bag, etc.
response.)

Old May 10th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hugh P wrote:

world cup ski trails are roller-ski trails underneath) I don't think I
ever saw an adult roller-skiing in a helmet; the only significant
injury I heard of there was incurred on roller-blades, which are far
less stable at high speeds (and it would not have been prevented by
helmets or pads). Of course, not crashing entails judgment about the
kind of roads you ski on: if you are scared of hitting a stone then
you are probably not skiing well anyway - that was why I started
wearing a head-lamp for night roller-skiing.

If you do an advanced google groups search on rsn, you'll find a few
years ago Jay T fell on his noggin rollerskiing and broke his jaw and
whatever else. One of those bad pole plant episodes, if I recall right.

A few contributors to this thread have suggested that, "If you are
scared...," then something's wrong. First of all, anyone who does high
risk work knows that when you're not scared is precisely when you're
most likely to get hurt. It's that controlled fear which keeps one
alert for danger. With rollerskis, one of those dangers is rocks. Yes,
depending on the ski wheel size, speed, angle of contact and use of a
fender, a rock can definitely bring one down. So can a small twig,
as small as about 1/4" x 1" long. To the extent that rollerskiing is
not just exercise but also an attempt to improve one's form (technique,
balance, speed), then progressively challenging those fears is
essential for improvement.

rm

Old May 10th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

I spoke to a colleague today about her volleybal. Intensional rolls and
slides on sport hall floors. They wear knee protection a bit different from
what's used for skating. Perhaps less of a protection level, but apparently
very comfortable through a multi-hour intense workout.
Who knows, on the streets these protectors may do a sufficient job, with
much less discomfort? Each sport has it's own protectors. Perhaps a really
big ball sports store would have some choices.

"Randy AKA Cubby" schreef in bericht
Dumb question: What do you guys wear for protective equipment? I'm not
sure if it's just me, or what, but I've been through like 5 different
pairs of 'roller blading' and 'roller skating' protective gear, i.e.
knee, elbow and wrist pads, and have yet to come up with something I can
live with. The wrist protectors seem to inhibit my pole work a great
deal. The knee pads are the biggest bugaboo; they seem to really dampen
my push and almost seem to change the angle of my knee a bit. I'm an
Emergency Room nurse in real life, so I WON'T go without them (having
cared for many of the local H.S. team roller ski injuries). I also wear
a generic bicycling helmet which isn't all that big a deal. Depends on
the weather, I'm either in a Swix ski pant or shorts. wit h the knee
pads, I've tried the wrap around velcro and the pull-over volleyball
type. Any suggestions?

Randy B

Old May 12th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

A few contributors to this thread have suggested that,
"If you are
scared...," then something's wrong. First of all, anyone who does high
risk work knows that when you're not scared is precisely when you're
most likely to get hurt. It's that controlled fear which keeps one
alert for danger. With rollerskis, one of those dangers is rocks. Yes,
depending on the ski wheel size, speed, angle of contact and use of a
fender, a rock can definitely bring one down. So can a small twig,
as small as about 1/4" x 1" long. To the extent that rollerskiing is
not just exercise but also an attempt to improve one's form (technique,
balance, speed), then progressively challenging those fears is
essential for improvement.

rm

I really think that if you roller ski when frightened you are likely to not
replicate effective efficient snow technique. Tentativeness is not a good
quality for skiers to have. Obviously there is a learning curve. Of late
I've been humbled as I re-enter the world of roller skiing. It will take a
while to develop the reckless abandon indicative of powerful and relaxed
technique. But I agree that even if practiced with technique that does not
duplicate your snow skiing, or with technique that is "unacceptable", there
are still benefits to be enjoyed.

As to the helmet/no helmet and protection issue. Jeeeze, I'd much rather
have on protective gear when I crash,. But really, in a serious crash impact
with a car, a helmet probably won't help much.
You know that in populations studied in which it became law to wear a helmet
when cycling the incidence of head injuries went up. Why? Decreased risk
aversion maybe? Anyway I think it is foolish to not wear a helmet when doing
so doesn't much interfere with enjoyment. However I wouldn't hesitate to
roller ski or ride in most circumstances if a helmet wasn't available.My
greatest fear of a head injury is when standing stationary on roller skis
with out a helmet on. The thought of a fall backwards onto an unprotected
head brings to mind the image of the outcome of dropping a melon onto the
asphalt from 5.5 feet. I put my helmet on before I put my roller skis on.

I've just researched a rare cancer that my dear friend has in his skull. I
expected that it might have had something to do with a motorcycle accident
and head injury 25 years ago. Indeed, there seems to be a relationship
between trauma of the skull and latter development of this vascular cancer
of the bone.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old May 30th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Without boring you with my story of rollerskiing, here is a list of
all the safety equipment and techniques I use to stay safe:
* Helmet - Well duh! But you would be surprised how many young bucks
I see rollerskiing around my loop (Medicine Lake in Plymouth, MN)
without this basic necessity.
* Weightlifting Gloves - Last year, I started looking for an
alternative to the overpriced, poor quality "rollerski gloves". While
always frustrated with them, I was also starting to develop wrist
problems from the shock of the pole hitting the pavement. I found
some leather weightlifting gloves (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/
product/index.jsp?
productId=15907&cp=694002&view=all&parentPage=fami ly&searchId=694002)
that were cheap, had a tough leather palm (durable), and a long strap
to wrap around my wrist to absorb some of the shock and protect them
from falls. It make a huge difference.
* Speed Control - Speed control is very important to safe
rollerskiing. Speed Reducers and slow wheels help. Don't be in a
hurry, if you want to work hard, do it uphill. On some downhills, I
put one rollerski out in the grass to help me control my speed.
* Monitor Trail Conditions - Don't skate on a wet trail, go extra slow
if there's gravel or a lot of debris on the trail, and watch for
leaves they can be slippery even if the trail is dry.
* Know Your Route - Making sure you have grassy bailout spots where
you might need them. Be sure there are no blind road crossings on any
sort of downhill incline where you might not be able to stop.
* Warn people as you approach - Give others plenty of time to get out
of the way as you come through, especially going downhill where you
can't stop if you had to.

Based on my falling experience (more than I care to admit), the areas
that get hurt the most are my fingers and wrists, always from catching
myself from the fall. I've also gotten some roadrash in odd places,
but there's not much defense against that. I don't use knee or elbow
protection and I don't think it's necessary because injuries in those
areas are not life-threatening and are actually very rare based on my
experience, so I don't see any reason to go overboard to protect
them.

Jon

Old June 7th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy Bryan

I do NOT want to start this thread up again but found this rather
interesting article about a local cycler:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?stor...gory=cycli ng

Run over by a truck, helmet crushed but he's just fine. If you have to
wear them, it's nice to know they work.

Old June 7th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:01:40 GMT, Randy Bryan
wrote:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?stor...gory=cycli ng

Run over by a truck, helmet crushed but he's just fine. If you have to
wear them, it's nice to know they work.

No way the helmet saved his head from being crushed -- helmets are
simply not that strong.

In all likelihood the helmet was pulled off the guys head by the wheel
and crushed while his head just avoided the tire.

--
JT