Width of Classic Tracks?

Old December 17th 05, 04:21 PM

Default Width of Classic Tracks?

Does anybody know if there's an official width (center to center) for
classic tracks in races around the world? In looking at the recent
Kuusamo videos it seemed like the tracks were notably wider than what I
normally see at touring centers in the Northeast USA, and wider than I
make my own tracks when I'm out breaking trail. I would think that
slight differences in track width could have a significant effect on
technique, i.e. to get proper weight transfer, and that this should not
be a variable from venue to venue.

Jim

Old December 17th 05, 06:23 PM

OK, I guess I found the answer after doing the Google search I should
have done before posting the question: According to FIS Competition
Rule ICR 315.3.2 the center-to-center width of classic ski tracks must
be between 17 and 30 cm (6.7 to 11.8 inches). Seems like an awfully
large variation to me, so I'm guessing there must be some acceptable
norm within this range. Surely your technique would have to be WAY
different for 17-cm tracks than for 30-cm tracks.

Jim

Old December 18th 05, 01:19 AM

On turns the track width is sometimes increased. Some sophisticated tracking
equipment allows for that kind of variation in the course of grooming and
setting track.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

oups.com...

Old December 18th 05, 02:13 AM

Jim Grau wrote
Surely your technique would have to be WAY
different for 17-cm tracks than for 30-cm tracks.

Technique is way different for uphills versus flats versus downhills.

Way different for powder versus hardpack versus slush.

Ken

[ If this was easier it would be called "running". ]

Old December 18th 05, 05:58 AM

Ken Roberts wrote:
Jim Grau wrote
Surely your technique would have to be WAY
different for 17-cm tracks than for 30-cm tracks.

Technique is way different for uphills versus flats versus downhills.

Way different for powder versus hardpack versus slush.

Ken

[ If this was easier it would be called "running". ]

Ok, and this pertains to variable track widths how?

I agree of course. And I also agree with Jim's comments that 17cm and
30 cm is a huge difference - I've never seen that much variation. -zeke

Old December 18th 05, 10:48 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Roberts wrote:
Jim Grau wrote
Surely your technique would have to be WAY
different for 17-cm tracks than for 30-cm tracks.

Technique is way different for uphills versus flats versus downhills.

Way different for powder versus hardpack versus slush.

Ken

[ If this was easier it would be called "running". ]

Ok, and this pertains to variable track widths how?

I agree of course. And I also agree with Jim's comments that 17cm and
30 cm is a huge difference - I've never seen that much variation. -zeke

Ken said that uphill, flat and downhill techniques are different from each
other.

When possible, groomers will widen tracks on downhill sections presumably to
help skiers center their center of gravity across a wider plane. In my post
I mentioned track width variaton around curves. Now I'm not so sure about
that.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY