Running = Stupid

Old October 26th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

Default Running = Stupid

Why run? Every time I run, I tweak my lower back the following day.
Skating, biking, rowing - no problem. Moguls don't do it either.
Something about running messes with my back. Ahhh... At least now
I've got no guilt about not doing it. I shall run no more forever.

JP
************
Native.

Old October 26th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Oct 26, 4:07 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
Why run? Every time I run, I tweak my lower back the following day.
Skating, biking, rowing - no problem. Moguls don't do it either.
Something about running messes with my back. Ahhh... At least now
I've got no guilt about not doing it. I shall run no more forever.

JP
************
Native.

I aggrevated a 7 year old minor knee injury after taking up
running...after I found myself unable to put any weight on the leg
(thank you running), I needed surgery to fix it.

Running is the anti-skiing. If you like your knees and back...Don't
Do it. !!!

Old October 26th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Oct 26, 4:07 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
Why run? Every time I run, I tweak my lower back the following day.
Skating, biking, rowing - no problem. Moguls don't do it either.
Something about running messes with my back. Ahhh... At least now
I've got no guilt about not doing it. I shall run no more forever.

JP
************
Native.

I agree, distance running is lame. I think intervals (shorter
distance at 3/4 to full speed) are good. You don't have that constant
heel to ground jarring for mile after mile after mile. Get on blades
or a bike. Much better way to suffer all around.
--
Marty

Old October 27th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Marty" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 26, 4:07 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
Why run? Every time I run, I tweak my lower back the following day.
Skating, biking, rowing - no problem. Moguls don't do it either.
Something about running messes with my back. Ahhh... At least now
I've got no guilt about not doing it. I shall run no more forever.

JP
************
Native.

I agree, distance running is lame. I think intervals (shorter
distance at 3/4 to full speed) are good. You don't have that constant
heel to ground jarring for mile after mile after mile. Get on blades
or a bike. Much better way to suffer all around.
--
Marty

I ruined my knees from running, I was a national level middle distance
runner many years ago. I now cannot run, jump or do anything above low
impact and that has to be tamed. I need both knees replaced but will wait
till I cannot take the pain and loose most of my mobility. I still day
dream about running even after all these years. I can roller blade only on
very smooth surfaces, I can ride my bike with no knee pains and wish I could
ski with no knee pains.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 27th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

JQ wrote:

and wish I could
ski with no knee pains.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I wish you could too. Friends who have had
it done (knee replacement) attest that is
truly IS a miracle of modern medicine. Don't
wait till the rest of you is worn out and the
new knees won't make any difference.
Old October 28th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

JQ wrote:

and wish I could
ski with no knee pains.

I wish you could too. Friends who have had
it done (knee replacement) attest that is
truly IS a miracle of modern medicine. Don't
wait till the rest of you is worn out and the
new knees won't make any difference.

OTOH, if the bone doesn't mate properly with the replacement stuff you can
have serious problems -- infection, pain, death, etc...

Running uphill is less stressful on the knees than running level or
downhill. I'll take their word for it. Running sucks.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 28th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 27, 11:09 pm, The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
JQ wrote:

and wish I could
ski with no knee pains.

I wish you could too. Friends who have had
it done (knee replacement) attest that is
truly IS a miracle of modern medicine. Don't
wait till the rest of you is worn out and the
new knees won't make any difference.

OTOH, if the bone doesn't mate properly with the replacement stuff you can
have serious problems -- infection, pain, death, etc...

Running uphill is less stressful on the knees than running level or
downhill. I'll take their word for it. Running sucks.

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to go bak to that town in
Vermont where I had to walk a mile to school and it was uphill both
ways.

Old October 28th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Richard Henry" wrote in message
s.com...
On Oct 27, 11:09 pm, The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
JQ wrote:

and wish I could
ski with no knee pains.

I wish you could too. Friends who have had
it done (knee replacement) attest that is
truly IS a miracle of modern medicine. Don't
wait till the rest of you is worn out and the
new knees won't make any difference.

OTOH, if the bone doesn't mate properly with the replacement stuff you
can
have serious problems -- infection, pain, death, etc...

Running uphill is less stressful on the knees than running level or
downhill. I'll take their word for it. Running sucks.

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to go bak to that town in
Vermont where I had to walk a mile to school and it was uphill both
ways.

I think I know that place...
VtSkier, that's a good point but I believe I still have plenty of time
before the rest of me get that bad.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 28th 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

JQ wrote:
"Richard Henry" wrote in message
s.com...
On Oct 27, 11:09 pm, The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
JQ wrote:
and wish I could
ski with no knee pains.
I wish you could too. Friends who have had
it done (knee replacement) attest that is
truly IS a miracle of modern medicine. Don't
wait till the rest of you is worn out and the
new knees won't make any difference.
OTOH, if the bone doesn't mate properly with the replacement stuff you
can
have serious problems -- infection, pain, death, etc...

Running uphill is less stressful on the knees than running level or
downhill. I'll take their word for it. Running sucks.

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to go bak to that town in
Vermont where I had to walk a mile to school and it was uphill both
ways.

Not only that but the wind was in your face, both ways.

I think I know that place...
VtSkier, that's a good point but I believe I still have plenty of time
before the rest of me get that bad.

Yeah, but you need to keep the rest of you healthy,
and favoring your knees by not using them will be
not using the other parts too.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 29th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
helibrdr

Body parts are like car parts - there are only so many miles in them before
they wear down or break and need replacing. Why waste those miles on
running????? The high impact, usually 4-5 times body weight, on each stride
impacts not only the knees but also, ankles, hips, etc.... Plus the previous
note on back problems etc..

Again, why waste your precious miles on running? There are many lower impact
cross training you can do until you get back onto where we want to be - the
snow!

BTW - still no snow in the midwest - Hope UT and CO do well this year.

OT - headed to Powder Mountain, UT with the family for Xmas - any
recommendations???/

A Snowboarder Does Something Stupid Jeff Alpine Skiing 32 March 21st 06 04:05 PM
I'm stupid but adorable nedelec Nordic Skiing 1 April 2nd 05 01:32 PM
OT - Stupid laws Sue Alpine Skiing 8 January 15th 05 06:45 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__ navqicas R Ebert Backcountry Skiing 0 November 7th 04 07:55 PM
Stupid stuff people have said to me 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 13 February 24th 04 08:51 PM