Tignes bootfitter

Old November 6th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bill Seddon

Default Tignes bootfitter

DUH, forgot to add the url:

http://mysnowsports.com/newspics2006/LDPoctHQ_14.pdf

(bit slow to load, it's a quite high res. pdf
| file), under "Jeu Concours", Nevada Sport Franck's details (address,
| phone no.)

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure you wouldn't rather get a
bootfitter near where you live to sort the boots you already have (liners,
footbed, heat-gun moulding, etc.) so that you can leave secure in the
knowledge that you'll be happy skiing with comfortable boots?

Cheaper option, I suspect - after all, half-term's already going to cost
you......... :-(

RM

thanks guys, Pete's link is exactly what I needed.

I've done the UK bootfitting at my local dry slope with big name shop.
I am trying them on again as I type, my foot has gone numb already just
as it does when I ski. I would much rather look in resort where
problems can be sorted out during the week. I had my footbeds replaced
in La Tania a couple of years ago and was told the original footbeds
were totally the wrong size. I suspect the same of the boots. they are
ok for the first 15 minutes like when in the shop, but then hurt like
hell. It really spoiled my last trip.

I plan to arrive early on the Saturday as we are driving, hoping to make
annecy on friday night after early afternoon shuttle. It's surprisingly
not too expensive booking direct with P+V and then driving 5 of us down
there. 8 days skiing etc.

Bill
Old November 6th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:35:24 +0000, Bill Seddon
wrote:

I plan to arrive early on the Saturday as we are driving, hoping to make
annecy on friday night after early afternoon shuttle. It's surprisingly
not too expensive booking direct with P+V and then driving 5 of us down
there. 8 days skiing etc.

If you've not already planned a hotel, I can thoroughly recommend the
Kyriad Annecy Centre - it's right in the old town, part of the town
walls, and within 100m of about two dozen restaurants by the various
man-made waterways running through the middle.

A cheap-ish option that's well worthwhile if you're able to arrive
early enough in the evening to enjoy the town.

http://www.kyriad.fr/shell.php??city=annecyr&h=FRA22465
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 7th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bill Seddon

wrote:

I plan to arrive early on the Saturday as we are driving, hoping to make
annecy on friday night after early afternoon shuttle. It's surprisingly
not too expensive booking direct with P+V and then driving 5 of us down
there. 8 days skiing etc.

If you've not already planned a hotel, I can thoroughly recommend the
Kyriad Annecy Centre - it's right in the old town, part of the town
walls, and within 100m of about two dozen restaurants by the various
man-made waterways running through the middle.

A cheap-ish option that's well worthwhile if you're able to arrive
early enough in the evening to enjoy the town.

http://www.kyriad.fr/shell.php??city=annecyr&h=FRA22465

Sounds perfect, I love the old bit of Annecy, have only stopped there
in the summer, but travelled through many times in the winter.

I'm guessing about 6 - 7 hours to Annecy from Calais? We have 2 drivers
and normally in France I've driven around 140 Kmh but I believe they
are a bit stricter recently?

Bill
Old November 7th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:40:56 +0000, Bill Seddon
wrote:

I'm guessing about 6 - 7 hours to Annecy from Calais?

TBH it's such a long time since I've driven from Calais I forget, but
probably about that, depending on how frequently you stop. In my
experience it's more about continuity than outright speed - if you can
manage with just fuel stops with a quick 5-minute toilet dash and
coffee grab you can save perhaps an hour or more. Two drivers should
help this, of course.

We have 2 drivers
and normally in France I've driven around 140 Kmh but I believe they
are a bit stricter recently?

Well 140 on the clock is pretty much within the limit (130+10%), but
I'd normally be looking to do a bit more than that. As far as I'm
aware, enforcement is mostly down to the fixed cameras, which are all
listed on various websites and for which you can download POIs into a
sat-nav if you have one.

In any event, UK-based friends of mine assure me that despite getting
flashed on a fairly regular basis the french authorities still don't
attempt to follow up UK-plated vehicles. I know that I've been flashed
recently on Swiss plates without being chased.

But as ever, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it ;-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 7th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Martin

Be careful ! Enforcement is not just down to fixed cameras and I'm pretty
sure that Brit cars attract "special" interest from the French police. My on
the spot fine cost me more than the week's lift passes for Espace Killy :-(

Martin

--
mjn at onetel dot com

wrote:

[...]

All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski
Club.

Old November 7th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Martin" wrote in message
| Be careful ! Enforcement is not just down to fixed cameras and I'm
pretty
| sure that Brit cars attract "special" interest from the French police.
My on
| the spot fine cost me more than the week's lift passes for Espace
Killy :-(

There have been a few mobile speed traps along the N75 this past month -
one on the Tignes-bound side of the dual in that raised section beside
the industrial area a few Ks before Moutiers on the only two mornings I
took that road in October, another couple in the villages beyond Bourg.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old November 7th 06, 09:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:26:07 +0100, "pg" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
| Be careful ! Enforcement is not just down to fixed cameras and I'm
pretty
| sure that Brit cars attract "special" interest from the French police.
My on
| the spot fine cost me more than the week's lift passes for Espace
Killy :-(

There have been a few mobile speed traps along the N75 this past month -
one on the Tignes-bound side of the dual in that raised section beside
the industrial area a few Ks before Moutiers on the only two mornings I
took that road in October, another couple in the villages beyond Bourg.

Indeed, one needs to be careful on the N and D roads, but I've hardly
ever seen police cars on the Autoroutes where I contend that, fixed
cameras aside, the chances of getting pulled are very low indeed.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 7th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Wilcock

Ace wrote:
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:26:07 +0100, "pg" wrote:
There have been a few mobile speed traps along the N75 this past month -
one on the Tignes-bound side of the dual in that raised section beside
the industrial area a few Ks before Moutiers on the only two mornings I
took that road in October, another couple in the villages beyond Bourg.

I take it you meant the N90, Pete.

Indeed, one needs to be careful on the N and D roads, but I've hardly
ever seen police cars on the Autoroutes where I contend that, fixed
cameras aside, the chances of getting pulled are very low indeed.

They are increasingly using unmarked cars with speed cameras that look
out of a special window cut into the bottom of the boot panel or
hatchback hatch. I've spotted them fairly regularly on the A43 between
Lyon and the alps this summer and autumn, for example, often reusing the
same favourite sites such as a service road shortly after the Montmélian
exit on the Albertville-bound carriageway.

The cameras are linked into the same system as the fixed ones - you get
flashed and receive your ticket through the post a few days later.
Admittedly if they don't chase up foreign plates then many readers of
this ng ought to be safe.

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages - www.tradoc.fr
Old November 7th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Schofield

"Martin" wrote in message
| Be careful ! Enforcement is not just down to fixed cameras and I'm
pretty
| sure that Brit cars attract "special" interest from the French police.
My on
| the spot fine cost me more than the week's lift passes for Espace
Killy :-(

There have been a few mobile speed traps along the N75 this past month -
one on the Tignes-bound side of the dual in that raised section beside
the industrial area a few Ks before Moutiers on the only two mornings I
took that road in October, another couple in the villages beyond Bourg.

Indeed, one needs to be careful on the N and D roads, but I've hardly
ever seen police cars on the Autoroutes where I contend that, fixed
cameras aside, the chances of getting pulled are very low indeed.

I might be a bit out of date now but there were mobile cameras regularly
positioned about 2-3 miles before the final toll on the autoroute to Calais.
They'd clock you through a trap at the bottom of a hill and pull you over at
the toll booths.

--
Paul Schofield

Old November 7th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:19:48 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

Indeed, one needs to be careful on the N and D roads, but I've hardly
ever seen police cars on the Autoroutes where I contend that, fixed
cameras aside, the chances of getting pulled are very low indeed.

I might be a bit out of date now but there were mobile cameras regularly
positioned about 2-3 miles before the final toll on the autoroute to Calais.
They'd clock you through a trap at the bottom of a hill and pull you over at
the toll booths.

I've said elsewhere that it's years since I've done the Calais-Alps
trip, so it's likely that I'm a lot more out of date than you.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)