What's the best ski resort in the Pyrenees?

Old October 13th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
French_Skier

Default What's the best ski resort in the Pyrenees?

Try Cauteret. It has a small ski marked area but it's pretty good. It's
close to Lourdes and 2 airports so you can even say hello to the Virgin
Mary's!! see some info on
http://www.skicollection.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.65

Ed wrote:
What's the best ski resort in the Pyrenees? I'm talking combination of
good snow, off piste, park, nightlife... I'm not demanding at all ;-)
Have been looking at Peyragudes but it looks small. Has anyone got any
suggestions?

Old November 24th 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Paul

Bareges - La Mongie is the largest in the Pyrenees with over 120 kms of
piste. Off piste is un-limited especially after the Quatre Thermes cut
though on the La Mongie side. We live in Bareges here
www.lessorbiers.co.uk . Bareges is still a typical french ski resort
the 2nd oldest in France, so the night life is limited to a few local
bars which are excellent. Look out for the Bareges giraffe very shy
only comes out late in afternoons and lots can be seen in the evenings.

Regards Rob

On Oct 6, 7:50 am, "Paul Schofield" paul_AT_sonifex_DOT_co_DOT_uk
wrote:
"scott w" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Ed wrote:
What's the best ski resort in the Pyrenees? I'm talking combination of
good snow, off piste, park, nightlife... I'm not demanding at all ;-)
Have been looking at Peyragudes but it looks small. Has anyone got any
suggestions?

Gourette is the best, hands down...Wouldn't care to elaborate? Excuse my ignorance, but frankly I've never

heard of it

--
Paul Schofield

Old November 24th 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

wrote:
Paul

Bareges - La Mongie is the largest in the Pyrenees with over 120 kms
of piste. Off piste is un-limited especially after the Quatre Thermes
cut though on the La Mongie side. We live in Bareges here
www.lessorbiers.co.uk . Bareges is still a typical french ski resort
the 2nd oldest in France, so the night life is limited to a few local
bars which are excellent. Look out for the Bareges giraffe very shy
only comes out late in afternoons and lots can be seen in the
evenings.

Regards Rob

How can you say it's the largest in the pyrenees? Granvilaria has (they
claim) 193Km of Piste

Chris *:-)

Old November 24th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman

wrote:

Look out for the Bareges giraffe very shy
only comes out late in afternoons and lots can be seen in the evenings.

VBG

Can be seen in the Bar Richelieu, I believe :-))

--
BMW K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 Z650
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old November 24th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman

MoonMan wrote:

wrote:
Paul

Bareges - La Mongie is the largest in the Pyrenees with over 120 kms
of piste. Off piste is un-limited especially after the Quatre Thermes
cut though on the La Mongie side. We live in Bareges here
www.lessorbiers.co.uk . Bareges is still a typical french ski resort
the 2nd oldest in France, so the night life is limited to a few local
bars which are excellent. Look out for the Bareges giraffe very shy
only comes out late in afternoons and lots can be seen in the
evenings.

Regards Rob

How can you say it's the largest in the pyrenees? Granvilaria has (they
claim) 193Km of Piste

I think he means French Pyrenees: Bareges La Mongie used to be the
biggest in all the Pyrenees, until they linked up all the various bits
of Andorra.

Old November 27th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

The Older Gentleman wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

wrote:
Paul

Bareges - La Mongie is the largest in the Pyrenees with over 120 kms
of piste. Off piste is un-limited especially after the Quatre
Thermes cut though on the La Mongie side. We live in Bareges here
www.lessorbiers.co.uk . Bareges is still a typical french ski resort
the 2nd oldest in France, so the night life is limited to a few
local bars which are excellent. Look out for the Bareges giraffe
very shy only comes out late in afternoons and lots can be seen in
the evenings.

Regards Rob

How can you say it's the largest in the pyrenees? Granvilaria has
(they claim) 193Km of Piste

I think he means French Pyrenees: Bareges La Mongie used to be the
biggest in all the Pyrenees, until they linked up all the various bits
of Andorra.

I've only skied the French Pyrenees once, My very first Time, at Cauterets
(is that how it's spelt?) I didn't think there where any big resorts on the
french side.

Chris *:-)

Old November 27th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman

MoonMan wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Yes

I didn't think there where any big resorts on the
french side.

Nobody does, which is why it's so nice.

Old November 27th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

The Older Gentleman wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I saw several small "Station de Ski" when I was driving from Carcassone to
Andorra (by the Pretty route) But I didn't know there was Skiable areas as
far west as Bareges.

Chris *:-)

Old November 27th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman

MoonMan wrote:

I've only skied the French Pyrenees once, My very first Time, at
Cauterets (is that how it's spelt?)

Yes

I didn't think there where any big resorts on the
french side.

Nobody does, which is why it's so nice.

I saw several small "Station de Ski" when I was driving from Carcassone to
Andorra (by the Pretty route) But I didn't know there was Skiable areas as
far west as Bareges.

There are lots of small ones, but Bareges/La Mongie is a fair size, even
by Alpine standards. Not so much vertical, of course.

St Lary/Pla d'Adet is quite big, too.

Next biggest, I think, is Les Cauterets, but it's a fair bit smaller.