British Skiing

Old March 27th 06, 10:52 PM

Default British Skiing

We've had a lot of introspective discussion this season particularly on the current state of
US nordic skiing and the dedication of racers struggling to stay on the scene.

I'm no longer part of the racing scene and was on holiday in the sunshine at the time of our
British Championships this year and I've belatedly found this article on the nordic racing
scene in Britain which you may find interesting.

http://www.rollerski.co.uk/nx014.html
Old March 28th 06, 10:10 AM

Very interesting read, thank you. I get the impression the same is happening
in my country, the Netherlands.

Perhaps atheletes from such countries with unwilling unions should join
forces, set up an international team with one set of sponsors, a hired
waxman, fitness and technique coaches, etc? Their own well-updated website,
much like I see happening by US teams today? Bring in "exotics" from Kenya
and such, with unions that have some money to spend, but nothing to spend it
one. Get their athletes in the game, and together get stronger. Meet up for
camps, races, tours, etc.

"dardruba" schreef in bericht

Old March 31st 06, 08:51 PM

32 degrees wrote:
speaking of British skiers, we have one that regularly shows up to Michigan
races here in the states - Hugh Pritchard - anyone in Britain know him?
JK

Yes - The British ski-racing scene is pretty small and most people have
at least heard of each other. I understand that Hugh switched to
Biathlon because of the lack of funding and support for XC. He made
the British Biathlon team for the Olympics at Salt Lake. I think he
retired from serious racing after that in order to earn a living. I
heard on the grapevine that he has moved to the USA and is doing some
citizen racing there.

Alex

Old April 1st 06, 06:42 PM

He is tough, but it is notable to realize that he doesn't WIN all the races.
Yes, he's good, but our hometown Michigan guys can beat him!
MacLean, Paull, Baic ... etc.

JK

Hugh was 43rd in 2:24, 7th in his age group at this years birkie. Just
behind former Michigander Tom Asmus and just ahead of UPer Jim Harrington.

Old April 1st 06, 09:47 PM

32 degrees wrote:
He is tough, but it is notable to realize that he doesn't WIN all the races.
Yes, he's good, but our hometown Michigan guys can beat him!
MacLean, Paull, Baic ... etc.
Hugh was 43rd in 2:24, 7th in his age group at this years birkie. Just
behind former Michigander Tom Asmus and just ahead of UPer Jim Harrington.

Dont get smug !
He is a tough cookie, we know him well, but dont forget his formative years were in a 'No Snow Country'.
Old April 1st 06, 09:59 PM

dardruba wrote:
32 degrees wrote:
He is tough, but it is notable to realize that he doesn't WIN all the races.
Yes, he's good, but our hometown Michigan guys can beat him!
MacLean, Paull, Baic ... etc.
Hugh was 43rd in 2:24, 7th in his age group at this years birkie. Just
behind former Michigander Tom Asmus and just ahead of UPer Jim Harrington.

Dont get smug !
He is a tough cookie, we know him well, but dont forget his formative years were in a 'No Snow Country'.

Hugh's website says his first time on XC skis was at age 25.

Old April 2nd 06, 09:14 AM

Alex wrote:
dardruba wrote:
32 degrees wrote:
He is tough, but it is notable to realize that he doesn't WIN all the races.
Yes, he's good, but our hometown Michigan guys can beat him!
MacLean, Paull, Baic ... etc.
Hugh was 43rd in 2:24, 7th in his age group at this years birkie. Just
behind former Michigander Tom Asmus and just ahead of UPer Jim Harrington.

Dont get smug !
He is a tough cookie, we know him well, but dont forget his formative years were in a 'No Snow Country'.

Hugh's website says his first time on XC skis was at age 25.

I only meant that he grew up in a country that didnt have that culture of winter snow activities, unlike the guys from the Michigan area...
Old April 2nd 06, 10:09 AM

Alex wrote:
dardruba wrote:
32 degrees wrote:
He is tough, but it is notable to realize that he doesn't WIN all the

races.
Yes, he's good, but our hometown Michigan guys can beat him!
MacLean, Paull, Baic ... etc.
Hugh was 43rd in 2:24, 7th in his age group at this years birkie.

Just
behind former Michigander Tom Asmus and just ahead of UPer Jim

Harrington.
Dont get smug !
He is a tough cookie, we know him well, but dont forget his formative

years were in a 'No Snow Country'.

Hugh's website says his first time on XC skis was at age 25.

I only meant that he grew up in a country that didnt have that culture of

winter snow activities, unlike the guys from the Michigan area...

So there's hope? I just got started, never been to "real" snow, never stood
on ski's at all, and am 29 already...