A slightly longer ski trip: The North Pole in winter!

Old March 29th 06, 03:36 AM

It is a pretty special event. Sorry to hear about your bronchial
infection. I also had a thing happen to me in 2002 where I seemed to
'freeze my lungs' on Saturday morning, and could not suck enough oxygen
in on Sunday. I had a gurgling sound in my lungs over night, and ran
out of energy with every stride I took as if I had high altitude
pulmonary edema, at almost sea level. I had to bail out on the second
day, two sections from the finish. My take away is to always start with
a balaclava over my mouth in early morning to warm the air into my
lungs. Not sure if that was definitely the issue in 2002, but I have
not had a repeat.

Ah the CSM-- you can check out any time you want, but can never leave
;-)

Parham.

Old March 29th 06, 09:48 AM

Early June 2003, from the one day to they other (won a big race days
earlier), my lungs would take in air too slowly to be comfortable at
heartrates as low as 130bpm (cycling threshold 180). Would all but black out
after anearobic activity such as sprinting up a hill, lung just didn't keep
up.
Stayed like that all summer, and it came back every year since, always
around beginning of June. Some allergy probably. Only Ventolin inhalers
help, but I hate medicin. Long hard warm-ups prepare me decently for races,
but the hardest ones I don't enter anymore.
I won an important-to-me title race again last Oct 30th, first weekend I
felt pretty "free" again.
As a kid I would make funny breathing noises when starting a run or bike
ride from a cold start, youth brochitus. It went away, and seems to have
come back with a bang at the age of 25.
Another reason to attempt an XC ski career, I'm strong as an ox all winter,
and much like a patient in the summer. Was always strong and happy in clean
winter air.

"Eddy Rapid" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old April 2nd 06, 07:43 AM

Very interesting. Something really happened to me on this year's CSM
and it lingered the rest of the winter. I was training at Tahoe Donner
and Royal Gorge, about 6,500 to 7,500 feet and after the CSM, I just
felt like I couldn't get enough Vo2. At the Vasa, it was definitely a
factor and I had a total relapse. Very odd...

Will try the covering mouth on cold starts trick. I also saw at Vasa a
number of skiers breathing through a device at the start to warm the
air. Wonder how well that works.

S.

Old April 2nd 06, 10:07 AM

Recently I also hear a lot of athletes complain about air humidity.
Especially too dry seems to be a problem in lower temperatures? For speed
spakers very uncomfortable, but their activities take only 13mins max. Were
those skiers really warming up the air, or also humidifying it? Either would
be new to me BTW, fascinating stuff.

"Stuart" schreef in bericht
oups.com...