Seefeld - Leutasch in Austria

Old April 4th 06, 07:58 PM

wrote
If there are better places than Seefeld I'm interested.

Better for what?
* skating versus classic versus both?
* for 3 days or 7 days or 5 weeks?
* with a car or without a car?
* holiday combined with other ski sports?
.. . . lift-served downhill? steep backcountry touring?

Serious athletic Continental European skiers have cars. And want to skate
mainly. Most do 1-2-3 day ski weekends, or ski lots of days at one favorite
local XC center. Many of those who travel often like to do multi-sport
holidays, and drive on different days to the best location for each
different kind of skiing.

I you're _not_ going to act like a serious athletic Continental skier, then
perhaps Seefeld _is_ the best place for you.

If you are going to act like a normal serious athletic skier, than I'd say
probably the Hoch Pustertal (Alta Pusteria) (for multi-sport), or Asiago
regions (for pure XC) in Italy, or the Alpes du Nord (or Jura depending on
snowpack) in France (including La Feclaz, Les Saisies, Bessans,
Correncon-en-Vercors, etc, etc) are clearly superior to Seefeld.

Ken

Old April 5th 06, 06:55 AM

Ken Roberts wrote:

(Actually that's 8 Euros is substantially less than what some good XC ski
centers in the US charge for a single-day ski pass)

eight euros? well...that's quite a lot! in Austria, many places offer
XCskiing for free, otherwise the usual bill is 5 euros, or half the
price if you go in the afternoon.
This winter, most of the italian north east xc resorts joined in a
common skipass, which granted you access to 14 different centers (all
very well groomed and quite famous) for 80 euros for a single, or 120
for a couple...I liked this idea, which in the end proved a good bargain
and an opportunity to try centers I hadn't known before.

--
beorn
"You've got to learn to crawl
Old April 5th 06, 07:14 AM

Ken Roberts wrote:
Terje Mathisen wrote
I have noticed that several places here in Norway seems to have heard the
plea: "More skating trails!"

Norway is another country that ought to send a delegation to the Antholz
(Anterselva) biathlon center with the question: How can we duplicate this
back home?

I notice that the better cross-country skiing centers in France are starting
to charge more _money_ for a single-day ski pass. At least one is over 8
Euros -- I paid it and had a delightful skiing experience. Charge more money
and _deliver_ a substantially better skiing experience (grooming + fun trail
design) for truly serious skiers. And offer discounts to families and school
groups who come for a snow day.

(Actually that's 8 Euros is substantially less than what some good XC ski
centers in the US charge for a single-day ski pass)

Ken, as you probably realize from your frequent visits to Scandinavia,
there is just _NO_ _WAY_ we can make people pay for the privilege of
skating on a somewhat better trail than what they can do for free
anywhere else.

Terje

--
-
Old April 5th 06, 11:14 AM

beorn wrote
This winter, most of the italian north east xc resorts joined in a common
skipass, which granted you access to 14 different centers (all very well
groomed and quite famous) for 80 euros for a single

It looked to me like Gallio / Campomulo did not participate in the
www.supernordicskipass.it program.

Ken

Old April 5th 06, 01:45 PM

Ken Roberts wrote:

It looked to me like Gallio / Campomulo did not participate in the
www.supernordicskipass.it program.

This was indeed not a wise choice for them, IMHO. I read some comments
which were not really encouraging towards their decision...besides, it
was possible (and legal!) to access campomulo trough enego, so if you
had the skipass you just had to start elsewhere and then you could reach
the center.
They say next year campomulo should join the skipass group, which would
be much more logical.

--
beorn
"You've got to learn to crawl
Old April 5th 06, 11:13 PM

not sure what you mean by "I you're _not_ going to act like a serious
athletic Continental skier, then perhaps Seefeld _is_ the best place
for you. "

but Seefeld has hosted two olympics so it's good enough for any level
skier. I don't "act" I ski :-)