snowboarders

Old January 14th 05, 02:10 PM
Mary Malmros

Chuck wrote:
pigo wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

Snowboarding is one of pigo's hot-buttons. There are plenty of
others who have legit objections to some common snowboard behaviors
but aren't worked up about it, so be careful not to dismiss anyone
who _does_ object as being "so worked up".

Behaviors are something I can deal with on an individual basis. But
that doesn't mean that I can't recognize behaviors that run in packs.
But I can take care of myself, I feel sorrier for the women and
children that are "accidently" run over more often according to my
observance.

Yah, when I said "hot button" I didn't mean that your objections aren't
based in reality...just that, well, you _do_ jerk the knee whenever
snowboarding is mentioned. And weren't you the guy who bragged about
slush-splashing a bunch of riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

What I don't like (again) is the traffic pattern and effect on the
under foot snow.

Neither my stepson nor myself have ever been run into by another skier
or boarder. My wife OTOH gets hit by as boarder nearly every time we go
skiing. Usually in a slow skiing area such as the approach to a lift by
someone sliding out of control and way too fast for the area. I would
have to say I generally agree with your observations.

I've been hit three times in my life, all by skiers, twice while I was
snowboarding ;-) Twice was on a learning hill, once (while I was on
skis) was just a real clueless individual. I was very lucky to get out
of that one without a bad hurt!

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 14th 05, 03:03 PM
pigo

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

Yah, when I said "hot button" I didn't mean that your objections aren't
based in reality...just that, well, you _do_ jerk the knee whenever
snowboarding is mentioned. And weren't you the guy who bragged about
slush-splashing a bunch of riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

Actually it was someone else that was present. Not that the crayons has
terrain or snow worth worrying about. But it was funny.

What I don't like (again) is the traffic pattern and effect on the under
foot snow.

Neither my stepson nor myself have ever been run into by another skier or
boarder. My wife OTOH gets hit by as boarder nearly every time we go
skiing. Usually in a slow skiing area such as the approach to a lift by
someone sliding out of control and way too fast for the area. I would
have to say I generally agree with your observations.

I've been hit three times in my life, all by skiers, twice while I was
snowboarding ;-) Twice was on a learning hill, once (while I was on skis)
was just a real clueless individual. I was very lucky to get out of that
one without a bad hurt!

Personally I've only had close calls with snowboarders. But I haven't
interacted with them in years. But I'm a guy and I pointed my poles at them
when I saw them coming (I do the same with skiers careening down the hill).
But I can also still cruise with some amount of comfort because I know, for
the most part, the "flow" of traffic. I can also ski it the trees without
avoiding the large built up banked turns that go across the falline. I can
also ski areas of old or cut up powder that is still soft and deep, not
smooshed flat. It's amazing how quiet ski areas are too.

Old January 14th 05, 05:48 PM
BoftheW

In article , pigo says...

//snip//

I ski at two that are very popular and highly rated for their own reasons.
They don't allow boards.

Um, isn't Alta losing skier-days? And doesn't DV not give a **** about skier
generated revenue (Real Estate is their Raison d'être). Thought so.

BoftheW

Old January 14th 05, 07:00 PM
Chuck

Mary Malmros wrote:

Yah, when I said "hot button" I didn't mean that your objections aren't
based in reality...just that, well, you _do_ jerk the knee whenever
snowboarding is mentioned. And weren't you the guy who bragged about
slush-splashing a bunch of riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

Nope, not me. I have better manners than that.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 14th 05, 11:15 PM
The Real Bev

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:
Neither my stepson nor myself have ever been run into by another skier
or boarder. My wife OTOH gets hit by as boarder nearly every time we go
skiing. Usually in a slow skiing area such as the approach to a lift by
someone sliding out of control and way too fast for the area. I would
have to say I generally agree with your observations...
...I have not found them ALL to be jerks though (but an inordinate
number seem to be).

An inordinate number of everybody is jerks, just like 80% of everything
is crap.

I've been hit three times in my life, all by skiers, twice while I was
snowboarding ;-) Twice was on a learning hill, once (while I was on
skis) was just a real clueless individual. I was very lucky to get out
of that one without a bad hurt!

Twice, sort of. The first one was almost like a dance routine on skis.
He turned left, I turned right, and we smashed together. Neither of us
could figure out what happened, but no injuries. The second one was
with a boarder, and we both survived by bailing at the last minute.
Really nice kid, he offered to help me up.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 15th 05, 12:29 AM
pigo

"BoftheW" wrote in message
In article , pigo says...

//snip//

I ski at two that are very popular and highly rated for their own reasons.
They don't allow boards.

Um, isn't Alta losing skier-days? And doesn't DV not give a **** about
skier
generated revenue (Real Estate is their Raison d'être). Thought so.

Well Alta is putting in new chairs and seems to be doing fine. Their mission
statement on their website say that they intend to continue delivering a
quality SKIING experience.

It doesn't really matter to me any way. If there are no ski areas available
to me, I quit skiing. I start working on a couple of thousand days of my
next compulsion.

Old January 15th 05, 02:19 AM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:
Neither my stepson nor myself have ever been run into by another skier
or boarder. My wife OTOH gets hit by as boarder nearly every time we

go
skiing. Usually in a slow skiing area such as the approach to a lift

by
someone sliding out of control and way too fast for the area. I would
have to say I generally agree with your observations...
...I have not found them ALL to be jerks though (but an inordinate
number seem to be).

An inordinate number of everybody is jerks, just like 80% of everything
is crap.

90%.

I've been hit three times in my life, all by skiers, twice while I was
snowboarding ;-) Twice was on a learning hill, once (while I was on
skis) was just a real clueless individual. I was very lucky to get out
of that one without a bad hurt!

Twice, sort of. The first one was almost like a dance routine on skis.
He turned left, I turned right, and we smashed together. Neither of us
could figure out what happened, but no injuries. The second one was
with a boarder, and we both survived by bailing at the last minute.
Really nice kid, he offered to help me up.

My worst collision fall: I was coming down the last intermediate pitch at
Snow Summit making too many turns and I fell into a rhythm with another kier
to my right. We clicked into a series of double-S turns. Then he fell, one
of his skis flew off landed across my skis right in front of the binding toe
pieces. Both my skis stopped and released, and I did a nice three-quarter
somersault onto my back. We both got up laughing.

Old January 15th 05, 02:30 AM
Mary Malmros

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Yah, when I said "hot button" I didn't mean that your objections
aren't based in reality...just that, well, you _do_ jerk the knee
whenever snowboarding is mentioned. And weren't you the guy who
bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of riders in a parking lot just
'cuz?

Nope, not me. I have better manners than that.

I wasn't replying to you, Chuck.

Old January 16th 05, 05:11 AM
rosco

pigo wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message

"pigo" wrote in message

"uglymoney" wrote in message

I've had too many collisions and have given up. I won't pass a
boarder on the healside. They win.

What you have to do is point your pole at them. It's amazing how much
control someone gains when your ski pole is pointed at them.

That's a fine fantasy, but if you come up on a boarder on his heelside,
he's
not going to see your pole.

That's their problem. And you wouldn't believe how much their eyesight
improves when theres a pole pointing at them. Besides it's their job NOT TO
HIT ME at that point. I'm a big enough guy that they don't run into me as
much as they do women and children. I've skied with folks on this group and
used the point the pole method whether moving or stopped. It works.

Assault with a ski pole is probably a crime.

It's not assult to have my pole sticking out to one degree or another. It
they don't like it they can just stay more than 50" away from me. It work on
skiers too.

The problems with boarders/skiers is that they don't understand each
other.
Skiers can't see behind them. Boarders can't see on their heelside. Skiers
should be aware that if they approach from a boarders heelside, it is up
them to allow safety space. One of the worst falls I've had boarding was
when a skier clipped me on the backside while I was on a toe turn. The
first
I saw of him was the back of his skis as I went over backwards. I saw
stars
on that one. Boarders can see up the hill part of the time, so they can
try
to avoid you, but if you come at them from behind, you can surprise them.

Boarder are the ones trying to blend into a skiers world. It's their
problem. My contention is that they are not compatable. People don't play
frisbee on golf courses during play.

Additionally, skiiers and boarders turn differently. Watch and learn for
your own safety.

****'em. They have to learn. But I don't ski where toys are allowed anyway.
I like soft snow.

pigo

Wow! That is really inspiring! And to think that I wanted world peace
a moment ago. Now I see the light... anyone different than me sucks!!!
That will make my life easier, now. Thanks for the good karma and
peace out (oops, I mean rock on).

RAC

Old January 16th 05, 05:49 AM
rosco

Bob wrote:

"pigo" wrote in message

NO! I don't. I haven't skied at an area that allows boards in years. If

Alta

goes I move to the beach. Do you suppose those surfers will mind if I

kayak

in "their" waves?

From what I've heard from my kayaker friends, the surfers are very hard to
deal with.

I really can't imagine why anyone would get so worked up about snowboarders.
I co-existed with them for years before I took up the challenge of riding.
It's certainly your loss if you choose to respond this way.

As I understand it, most resorts would go out of business without the
boarders. They are saving both sports.

Bob

Bottom line is that not much of the better terrain out west is snowboard
-friendly anyhow. Most of what I ski has little snowboard traffic.
Probably for two reasons: traverses and bumps. If a snowboarder is
good enough to deal with these two hurdles, he can hang with me anytime,
anyplace. Some of my favorite sliders to enjoy the hill with are
snowboarders. Get over it or I will have to sic Wallace on you... he
pulled his own head out of his ass and I bet he can help you, too, pigo.

RAC