Recovery time before hitting the slopes again for a broken shoulder (glenoid fracture)

Old January 2nd 11, 08:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Decibel

Default Recovery time before hitting the slopes again for a broken shoulder (glenoid fracture)

3 weeks ago I had a bad wipeout on a iced-out run late in the day and
fractured my shoulder. I've had it MRI'ed, x-rayed, CT'd and was told
it will be a 6-8 week heal of the fracture, with a 2-3 month full
recovery (strength above the shoulder). Any other boarders have this
type of injury before, and were you able to do some 'light' boarding
with just the bones healed?
Old January 2nd 11, 02:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:12:18 -0600, Decibel wrote:

3 weeks ago I had a bad wipeout on a iced-out run late in the day and
fractured my shoulder. I've had it MRI'ed, x-rayed, CT'd and was told
it will be a 6-8 week heal of the fracture, with a 2-3 month full
recovery (strength above the shoulder). Any other boarders have this
type of injury before, and were you able to do some 'light' boarding
with just the bones healed?

When you say "shoulder", do you mean clavicle or scapula?

If it's the clavicle (commonly called the "collar bone"), then I think
you'd be ok taking it easy after 4 weeks, and good to go after 6.
I've no direct experience of boarding following such an injury, but I
did do a motorcycle race 7 weeks after breaking mine, and I was fine
:-)
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

Old January 2nd 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:12:28 -0600, Decibel
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 14:59:43 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:12:18 -0600, Decibel wrote:

3 weeks ago I had a bad wipeout on a iced-out run late in the day and
fractured my shoulder. I've had it MRI'ed, x-rayed, CT'd and was told
it will be a 6-8 week heal of the fracture, with a 2-3 month full
recovery (strength above the shoulder). Any other boarders have this
type of injury before, and were you able to do some 'light' boarding
with just the bones healed?

When you say "shoulder", do you mean clavicle or scapula?

Scapula (glenoid)

Ah, in that case I can't offer any advice, I'm afraid - I've never
broken that bone :-/
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old January 5th 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Decibel wrote in :

3 weeks ago I had a bad wipeout on a iced-out run late in the day and
fractured my shoulder. I've had it MRI'ed, x-rayed, CT'd and was told
it will be a 6-8 week heal of the fracture, with a 2-3 month full
recovery (strength above the shoulder). Any other boarders have this
type of injury before, and were you able to do some 'light' boarding
with just the bones healed?

Damn.. its like a hospital ward in here!
Old February 5th 11, 01:35 PM
loveskiinguk loveskiinguk is offline
Junior Member

Before you think about hitting the slopes make sure you build your strength back up so the shoulder recovers its strength, I would say about 2 months minimum to be perfectly sure everything is all healed. (unless you are a quick healer :P) there is a useful guide to help you build up strength here http://www.loveskiing.co.uk/health-f...ng/upper-body/ things you can do in your own home without any expensive equipment.

Hope it helps
Old February 8th 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

loveskiinguk wrote in
:

Before you think about hitting the slopes make sure you build your
strength back up so the shoulder recovers its strength, I would

say
about 2 months minimum to be perfectly sure everything is all

healed.

We'll I'm the ankle guy and I've been back out now for about
three weeks.. waited a full month and a couple days before
first going out on a green run after 10" of fresh.. was painful
not to be riding the double blacks but what can you do.

Now I'm riding relatively normally. In powder I'm pretty good
and going probably 85-90% spoeed. Packed powder groomers kind
of depends but call it 70-80%. Avoiding all bumps and generally
all uneven terrain as the flex that occurs when front of board
goes over still hurts. There are a few other movements too
that trigger it - I'm definitely far from 100% fixed.
Old March 19th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Decibel[_2_]

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:12:18 -0600, Decibel wrote:

3 weeks ago I had a bad wipeout on a iced-out run late in the day and
fractured my shoulder. I've had it MRI'ed, x-rayed, CT'd and was told
it will be a 6-8 week heal of the fracture, with a 2-3 month full
recovery (strength above the shoulder). Any other boarders have this
type of injury before, and were you able to do some 'light' boarding
with just the bones healed?

Decibel here, posting back so anyone else searching for this type of
info has some frame of reference. 2.5 months after the injury - back
on the slopes for some 'light' boarding. Just crusing some gree\blue
groomers with some buds near the end of season. Shoulder about 98%
both in strength and flexibility, with the expectation of 100 in a
couple more weeks.
DO YOUR REHAB!
Old March 19th 11, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Decibel wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:12:18 -0600, Decibel wrote:

3 weeks ago I had a bad wipeout on a iced-out run late in the day and
fractured my shoulder. I've had it MRI'ed, x-rayed, CT'd and was told
it will be a 6-8 week heal of the fracture, with a 2-3 month full
recovery (strength above the shoulder). Any other boarders have this
type of injury before, and were you able to do some 'light' boarding
with just the bones healed?

Decibel here, posting back so anyone else searching for this type of
info has some frame of reference. 2.5 months after the injury - back
on the slopes for some 'light' boarding. Just crusing some gree\blue
groomers with some buds near the end of season. Shoulder about 98%
both in strength and flexibility, with the expectation of 100 in a
couple more weeks.
DO YOUR REHAB!

Good work. It's nice to see someone listens to their PT.

Old March 22nd 11, 07:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Decibel wrote in
news

Decibel here, posting back so anyone else searching for this type

of
info has some frame of reference. 2.5 months after the injury -

back
on the slopes for some 'light' boarding. Just crusing some gree

\blue
groomers with some buds near the end of season.

Well thats good news. My ankle is still not right but it has
been good enough to ride all the groomed stuff at decent speed.
I started doing bumped runs again about two weeks ago. Began
with the hardest 2x diamond run but the day after a 20" dump
so everything was soft (and forgiving). Did some more since
during our heat wave last week but am avoiding the ice moguls
of death we have this week (rock solid under 5" of fresh). As
long as I dont put too much shock on it or wrench it in the
boot (has happened skating) its holding up ok. Only offseason
rest will help now I think.

Mike