JP got 2 new roadbikes for his birthday!

Old November 5th 04, 03:11 PM
Chris

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message

Dude, where did you get the jersey?

It looks cool man, carry the torch (for classic Italian race bikes).

Old November 5th 04, 03:12 PM
Chris

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message

Sure enough I ran into a web-friend who had a mint 1985 Atala Pro he'd
let me have very cheap. I said Let's do it!

Seriously, that Atala looks really cool but it is a bit big for you. How
does it ride?

Old November 7th 04, 08:39 PM
Philip W. Moore, Jr.

Kurgan,

Every time I read one of your retorts on this website I am reminded of why I
so steadfastly believe in a woman's right to choose.

-Philip

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff Potter wrote:
Yeah, my birthday was last week and the craziest of things happened.

very weird celestial convergence.

snip

Dumbass -

Who the **** cares about your new bikes?

K. Gringioni.

ps. I went out and bought some new cables for my bike the other day.
They shift REALLY NEATO now!

Old November 8th 04, 01:35 PM
Jeff Potter

(chiefhiawatha) wrote in message ...
[ ]
The blue Pro Miyata brings back some memories for this guy.

I raced mine last year in a fine hilly road race. I'd race it again,
or any 'old' bike.

It's not the bike that slows me in my casual Cit/Cat5 racing. The year
before, I finished with the lead group on that bike. It wouldn't even
slow me down in Cat 3 racing, I suspect. (Altho at 'real' racing
levels an 18-lb bike gets a noticeable edge on a 21-lb.)

And it's worth noting that these great old bikes can be had for
$300-600.

That race I like has a Cat5 field of 50 and the winner asked me how it
went with my friction shifting. It's hard to believe that competent
people think there's a significant performance downside with oldschool
on a course with mile-long hills. When I need to shift, I shift, no
big deal. It's riding fast that concerns me.

My biggest slow-up is the gut. When I'm down 10 lbs, I can finish near
the front. Bike has nothing to do with it. Heck, that time I finished
good I even forgot and left my pump and spare on the bike.

I'm only changing bikes coz the poor ole Miyata has such tattered
decals now that you can't see what it is. The parts are slopping out
somewhat, but sheesh it's saying good things for a bike that it's
going really just fine after 20 years of VERY hard
riding/racing/crashing.

As was said, these oldschoool bikes look SWEET when kept nice. I want
to make a good showing for oldschool. (Making a good show for trashed
oldschool is something I'm getting a little tired of.) An all Campy NR
group---or all DuraAce AX---on a bike like the Pro Miyata will impress
many folks and is totally suitable for coming across the line in first
even.

Anyway, it was mostly a post about lovin' great old road bikes and
getting TWO OF THEM just by chance on my BIRTHDAY after riding (and
racing!) the same old bike for 20 YEARS. So I celebrate. And look
forward to training and kickin' some (casual racer) butt.

(Who pays attention to Henry anyway.)

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com