Alsgaard's One Sided V-1

Old January 15th 04, 10:46 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Alsgaard's One Sided V-1

I'm not a coach so I never noticed this but Larry Myers, a Twin Cities
ski coach, asked Alsgaard (when he was in town last month) why he only
skis V-1 on his left side. He asked Alsgaard if he could have skied
faster if he would have gone to the right on V-1 also. Alsgaard
apparently said; "I think my results were pretty good..."

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old January 16th 04, 09:01 AM
Tomas Bystrom

Default Byström's One Sided V-1

In article , Jay Tegeder wrote:
I'm not a coach so I never noticed this but Larry Myers, a Twin Cities
ski coach, asked Alsgaard (when he was in town last month) why he only
skis V-1 on his left side.

I don't intend, in any way, to compare myself with Thomas Alsgaard, but I
find it totally impossible to switch sides in V1. I can switch the
leading leg in V2alt, and switch legs in DP with push (but Lazutina and
Anders Bergström usually can't) - but everything breaks down with the V1
switch.
Does any one have a trick to practice the switch? It sure would be nice to
do it.

/Tomas - maybe it's a matter of the first name? :-)

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.
Old January 16th 04, 09:26 AM
Gary Jacobson

I wonder if he trained for right side V-1. Bet he did.

Also wonder what a guy like Alsgaard skis the classic style Marcialonga for.
Will he drop out? Can a guy like this feel ok about being in the top 50 or
so? Or does he go for a Worldloppet win? Sorta doubt he has been training
with an event like this in mind. Whatever the answers are, it is good for
the sport that he is still involved and entered this race. Think it's a
world cup this year, but I suppose Alsgard is entering as an elite citizen
racer.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 16th 04, 03:51 PM
Bob

"Tomas Bystrom" wrote in message

I don't intend, in any way, to compare myself with Thomas Alsgaard, but I
find it totally impossible to switch sides in V1. I can switch the
leading leg in V2alt, and switch legs in DP with push (but Lazutina and
Anders Bergström usually can't) - but everything breaks down with the V1
switch.
Does any one have a trick to practice the switch? It sure would be nice to
do it.

You need to keep your momentum as you switch sides. That means the tempo
should not stutter but the rhythm will flip. Imagine you're V1ing on the
right side. Try this:
Right
right
right
tap left
left
left
The quick pole-tap on the right side is simultaneous with a strong push from
the right leg to launch you over to the left side quickly. You wont be
putting any power into the pole-tap - it's just a timing aid to get you onto
the left side rhythm without stalling. Of course, you have to be pretty
equally comfortable V1ing on each side before you try switching in mid-hill.

Bob
"I can't believe I'm posting on a technique thread"

Old January 16th 04, 05:24 PM
Jeff Potter

My quick thought is that one might often do a cycle with no poles to switch sides.
Otherwise, it seems like I can switch sides without missing a beat really. Kinda
like doing V2 only it's V1 on both sides---a bit hasty but can be done. And going
up a big hill gives motivation to not miss a beat.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old January 16th 04, 10:47 PM
revyakin

I do it either as Bob suggested (tapping on one side)
or, if the hill is not very steep, include one step of V2, and then
switch.

I find it very helpful to be able to do V1 on both sides. I learned
how to V1 when I was ~10 (when I saw it on TV - 1986?), but kept V1ing
only on one side - right that is - till very recently. Learning the
left V1 was pain in the ..., but definitely worth the effort. It's
like having an additional gear in your car.

Andrey.

Old January 17th 04, 03:12 PM
Jeff Potter

This tap seems like maybe a single phase of diagonal skate. Or maybe it ends up being just a
faint/incomplete V1--you cut the poling in half to give you more time to get over to the other side.
Ha...I haven't done it enough lately to remember.

revyakin wrote:

I do it either as Bob suggested (tapping on one side)

---

Jeff Potter
****

Old January 18th 04, 01:38 AM
Jay Tegeder

I thought Ski Boy Bob was boycotting my posts... I started this thread
and Thomas Bystrom quoted my original post in his thread so Ski Boy
Bob had to read it. Very interesting...

Old January 19th 04, 12:47 AM
laxer

revyakin wrote:

I do it either as Bob suggested (tapping on one side)

I dont think its so much half of a v1 poling phase, or at least thats
not how i do it. what i typically do is just plant my pole, and then
do a quick turnover, and then do a complete phase on the other size.
I dont know if this is clear, if it isnt, ask and i will try to make
it clear

-laxer
Old January 19th 04, 08:43 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Gary Jacobson wrote:

I wonder if he trained for right side V-1. Bet he did.

Also wonder what a guy like Alsgaard skis the classic style Marcialonga for.
Will he drop out? Can a guy like this feel ok about being in the top 50 or
so? Or does he go for a Worldloppet win? Sorta doubt he has been training
with an event like this in mind. Whatever the answers are, it is good for
the sport that he is still involved and entered this race. Think it's a
world cup this year, but I suppose Alsgard is entering as an elite citizen
racer.

I don't think people at Worldloppet changed that much in last 5 or 6
years. I did only few races and except for last one when I wasn't
training anymore for real I never had problems. For first one I did
I could be pretty easy in top 20 if I knew it would be that easy
and not knowing track didn't help much Second one I was still in
top 30 even though I was probably only one with classic skis in
that race (track was changed and all uphills dissapeared but since
those races were more fun then anything else noone of us didn't really
bother to check until start when I saw everyone having skating skis
there since it was 60km of completely flat field
And you have to count I was nowhere near Alsgaard, so I'm pretty
sure he can easily win any of those races if he takes it at least
a bit more serious we did and he goes to bed a bit before 4am

"Jay Tegeder" wrote in message

skis V-1 on his left side. He asked Alsgaard if he could have skied
faster if he would have gone to the right on V-1 also. Alsgaard
apparently said; "I think my results were pretty good..."

I'm sure he was doing it both sides during trainings. During race
you go as you think it's best and fastest for you. I never changed
sides myself during race either, even though I never had problems
skiing both sides on training. And his answer was pretty much in
style of his answer about Americans thinking too much about technique,
as you wrote here once before.
--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing