Freshies

Old April 20th 04, 05:31 PM
Dave in Spokane

Default Freshies

Kurt wrote in
:

While I wouldn't really call it backcountry, we had a nice
frontcountry tour on Sunday.

snip of all sorts of good pictures

-K

Well, that certainly deserves a bite me!

After all our warm weather, I put my skis away, but it was raining and only
about 40 degrees in town this a.m. so maybe I'll have to drag them out
again.

Dave in Spokane

Old April 21st 04, 02:32 PM
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:

After such a warm March, a little of Winter has returned in April.
More on the way this week...I might need to come into work a little
late on Thursday (cough-cough, slope flu you know).

Russ, Jed, and I went back yesterday to hit some steeper stuff. But
the wind had blown hard forming windslabs in everything in Wolverine
Circus. I roped into The Scythe due to some *huge* wind pillows to try
and get it to go before we skied it. I tripped it but it didn't break
very big or run much at all. Russ came down next, unroped made two
turns past me and triggered about a 1 1/2 foot crown that ran fast and
full track. Debris pile at the bottom was about 3 feet. So we went
home. Booting up Granny's Chute looked like a bad idea although we'd
already booted up Hidden Chute. The narrow steep stuff wasn't near as
scary as the wider less steep.

Got another six inches in the driveway overnight and supposed to get
another foot by morning. Sounds like winter.

Call me if you want a partner tomorrow. I need to get back up. No one
is out and conditions are nice albeit somewhat scary.

-klaus

P.S. Wolverine Bowl again had no tracks and the tracks from Sunday
were filled in.

Old April 21st 04, 06:52 PM
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:

Hmmm, the cornice growing capital of the Wasatch.

They were harvesting a bumper crop yesterday.

I'm kinda more interested in skiing powder, than skiing bed surfaces.

Such dualism. The bed surface was actually better skiing. We skied it
to the debris. The fresh was very grabby. The slide path had a soft
interface that was very carvable. Well, after the first 200 feet.

So we went
home. Booting up Granny's Chute looked like a bad idea although we'd
already booted up Hidden Chute. The narrow steep stuff wasn't near as
scary as the wider less steep.

Not what I wanted to hear.

Yesterday, I wouldn't have wanted to be in anything that could break
very wide or that would funnel. Steeper stuff will be going on it's
own. And since it was pretty much just new snow yesterday, if the
slide fanned out at all, or the chute was narrow, the debris piles
were shallow. Expect the Wasatch Crest to be heavily loaded on the
east side near the top and lots of crossloading in the usual places
for the usual flow. Just be glad The Crayons are closed.

Got another six inches in the driveway overnight and supposed to get
another foot by morning. Sounds like winter.

Yea, even a few inches on the backside. It does look like more to come.

At this point, I'm pretty much snowed in. And they just upped the
expected snow amounts. Worst part? I'm out of beer. Closest sto 13
miles, 3000 vert. The ski resorts do have some redeeming
qualities. Last week I could have walked to buy beer.

I'm thinking about staying on this side and getting into work by 10:00 or so.

We could pull off a Guild Line if you show up early. I'm jus'
sayin'. There won't be many more opportunities. We wouldn't even need
an alpine start.

This weather is why we have no corn season. It dosn't quite snowing
until way too late.. so to speak.

-klaus