Rottefella Tele Release Plates Question (TRP100)

Old March 5th 05, 10:57 PM
Pete Chrisbacher

Default Rottefella Tele Release Plates Question (TRP100)

Hello All -

Need to get a new pair of Rottefella TRP100 release plates mounted.
Unfortunately, here in the Phila area, nobody has the jig, so I need to
do it myself.

The release plate has a "tab" up at the front that fits inside a plastic
toe piece. At the base of the "tab" there are angled "shoulders" where
the plate widens out to its full width. It seems to me like the toe
piece is really just an aid to getting into these things
(non-load-bearing), but I still want to be sure I get it mounted properly.

Without any kind of template, the one question I have is how tight does
the tab at the front of the release plate need to be against/into the
toe piece? So when the release plate is on the ski, are the tab
shoulders actually touching the plastic toe piece? Or is the toe piece
mounted a bit more forward so the tab is still inside the toe piece, but
the shoulders don't quite touch it? If there's a gap, about how wide is it?

I'm hoping someone with a pair mounted using the actual shop template
can give me an idea - hopefully you're understanding what I'm asking :-)

Thanks!

Pete
Old March 8th 05, 03:08 AM

Who knows whether the shop installed mine correctly? Having said that,
the place where the "tab" on my TRP plates folds upwards after exiting
the toe piece is a exactly a quarter inch behind the toe piece itself.
Thus, a quarter inch of flat tab is visible.

The tabs serve as more than just locators; I know this because the
bindings are harder to ski when the tabs break...which they do.
Basically, they offer a bit of up and down motion but restrict the
range within narrow limits. Since these tabs have a half-life of about
a year (that is, one of two breaks on me in a year's time), I'm
experimenting with wrapping a bit of duct tape around them to restrain
them from moving around. This makes it more difficult to re-insert
after releases, but might help with longevity. Or not: your guess is
as good as mine.

I've had pretty good luck getting replacements from dealers, but now
that US distribution is supposed to be ending this might get more
difficult. Last time I emailed Rottefella in Norway and they couriered
a binding to me for free.

I recommend adjusting by trial and error, rather than their DIN chart.
This requires wearing leashes, at least until you're got it dialed in.
As I've said elsewhere, keep the release mechanism well-lubed or it
will become stiff and unpredictable.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Pete Chrisbacher wrote:

[...]

:-)

Thanks!

Pete

Old March 14th 05, 06:45 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article .com,
wrote:

Who knows whether the shop installed mine correctly? Having said that,
the place where the "tab" on my TRP plates folds upwards after exiting
the toe piece is a exactly a quarter inch behind the toe piece itself.
Thus, a quarter inch of flat tab is visible.

The tabs serve as more than just locators; I know this because the
bindings are harder to ski when the tabs break...which they do.

_ Hmm, just as aside I skiied these things for at least 4 seasons
and never broke one, but I can count actual releases without
taking my shoes off. I installed them my self using the template
that came with the release plates.

I recommend adjusting by trial and error, rather than their DIN chart.
This requires wearing leashes, at least until you're got it dialed in.

_ Some versions come with ski brakes, but only for skinny skis.

As I've said elsewhere, keep the release mechanism well-lubed or it
will become stiff and unpredictable.

_ Very true, a stiff dose of all weather grease is needed at the
start of every season.

Without any kind of template, the one question I have is how tight

does
the tab at the front of the release plate need to be against/into the

toe piece? So when the release plate is on the ski, are the tab
shoulders actually touching the plastic toe piece? Or is the toe

piece
mounted a bit more forward so the tab is still inside the toe piece,

but
the shoulders don't quite touch it? If there's a gap, about how wide

is it?

_ My recollection is that it is not snug once the plate is in the
binding, it's basically there to make getting in the binding
easier and provide a pivot point to provide a consistant
release.

I'm hoping someone with a pair mounted using the actual shop template

can give me an idea - hopefully you're understanding what I'm asking

:-)

_ If you give me a day or two I can dig up the template I used and
post pictures of it on the web. If I recall correctly they came
with this very nifty plastic template with a sticky back. By far
the best mounting template I've ever gotten with a binding.

_ Booker C. Bense