UK skiing-anyone else enjoying our snow?

Old March 2nd 05, 06:54 PM
Karl Grave

Default UK skiing-anyone else enjoying our snow?

Hi
Best snow for many years here in Yorkshire.
Touring on our highest hill, Whernside last week was great!
Karl

Old March 2nd 05, 07:51 PM
Paul Brooks

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:54:30 -1200, "Karl Grave" wrote:

Best snow for many years here in Yorkshire.
Touring on our highest hill, Whernside last week was great!

Well I still consider Mickle Fell to be our highest! Upper Teesdale
was fantastic on Sunday. We skied from the Weardale / Nenthead summit
to Langdon Beck. Sub-zero all the way, snow was perfect and virtually
unbroken sunshine. Fantastic! Even more deposited today - best
conditions for years.

Paul Brooks
Old March 3rd 05, 08:20 AM
taywood

"Karl Grave" wrote in message
Hi
Best snow for many years here in Yorkshire.
Touring on our highest hill, Whernside last week was great!
Karl

Same applies to the track skiing at Clashindarroch Forest, Huntly
Aberdeenshire.
From the haute route at Mount Haddoch one can see for miles
in brilliant sun across snow covered moorland
Mike
(now home at 'no snow Blackpool' and reading about fresh over
night snowfalls up there)

Old March 3rd 05, 08:42 AM
Peter Clinch

Karl Grave wrote:

Best snow for many years here in Yorkshire.
Touring on our highest hill, Whernside last week was great!

Was up at Glenshee yesterday, most unlike Glenshee, as it was covered in
snow! ;-/

Pisteing (and nearby off piste) yesterday, it'll be a tour this weekend.
Best snow in a few years, hurrah!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old March 3rd 05, 12:23 PM
Colin Fraser

The Pentlands (near Edinburgh) have been looking white for over a week now
which is pretty much unheard of these days. I'm probably going to join the
hordes on piste this weekend at Glencoe.

Colin

Old March 5th 05, 08:04 AM
taywood

"Colin Fraser" wrote in message
The Pentlands (near Edinburgh) have been looking white for over a week now
which is pretty much unheard of these days. I'm probably going to join
the
hordes on piste this weekend at Glencoe.

Its the Braemar Telemark Fest this weekend.

Old March 7th 05, 07:37 AM
Peter Clinch

taywood wrote:

Its the Braemar Telemark Fest this weekend.

No, that's /next/ weekend (11-13th)

Pete.

Old March 7th 05, 09:24 AM
taywood

No, that's /next/ weekend (11-13th)

Ooops.
Still, if anybody went this weekend they'd have
had great snow conditions !!
Old March 7th 05, 08:17 PM
taywood

Peter
Forgot to ask, did you get to Glenshee and if you
did what were conditions like up there?
Can you speculate what GlenIsla Forest would be like?
Old March 8th 05, 07:54 AM
Peter Clinch

taywood wrote:

Forgot to ask, did you get to Glenshee and if you
did what were conditions like up there?

I was skiing up in Glen Doll forest on Saturday, which was a bit damp
but otherwise okay. There was good cover on the tops but it was blowing
a hoolie, so we didn't go up. I'd imagine Glenisla would have been
similar (only two glens over), but there was a fair thaw at low level on
Saturday that I'd imagine would have continued on Sunday. A pal
reported Glenshee on Sunday was very nice but lots of sun followed by
last nights cold snap probably means a bit icy...

Now the wind has dropped I'd be inclined to head up as high as possible,
either in the Tom Buidhe group, or either side of the ski area.

Pete.

--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Measuring the quality of snow Pieter Litchfield Nordic Skiing 13 December 17th 04 05:49 PM
Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Donek Web Site, 2nd Board recommendation Robert Stevahn Snowboarding 60 December 7th 04 05:45 AM
SNOW ... ROAD TRIP ! J999w Nordic Skiing 3 November 14th 03 03:25 PM
Skiing in North America over Christmas - Do not want to go to Whistler. How about Fernie or Kirkwood? Markus Hornkvist Alpine Skiing 51 October 10th 03 02:48 PM