Good Speed Board?

Old April 27th 04, 11:56 PM
skibum

Default Good Speed Board?

Can anyone help? I am looking for a good board for Slalom & Giant Slalom
events (USASA). I am not interested in a hard boot set-up. Soft boot only!
What's a good stable & speedy board for this that turns on a dime? Any
suggestions? I only weigh 100lbs. I am mostly a park rider so this is new
to me. Thanks!

Old April 28th 04, 01:18 AM
Mike T

Can anyone help? I am looking for a good board for Slalom & Giant Slalom
events (USASA). I am not interested in a hard boot set-up. Soft boot

only!
What's a good stable & speedy board for this that turns on a dime? Any
suggestions? I only weigh 100lbs. I am mostly a park rider so this is

new
to me. Thanks!

I'm curious - why are you not interested in a hard boot setup? That's
generally the weapon of choice for SL and GS.

Mike T

Old April 28th 04, 11:00 AM
skibum

I guess that it's because I can't afford it. I have three freestyle boards
now. I just want to throw my LeBlancs on this board and have at it to see
where I stand, before commmitting to a hard boot set-up. I ended up in a
fairly decent standing last year using my EVO freestyle board. I Qualified
to go to Nationals in Boardercross (Wildcards in S & GS) but did not attend
nationals. I want to rip faster this year so I can Qualify in all events so
I can go to Nationals this year. The kids my age, 13, do not have an
atvantage with the hardboot-board setup. I beat them on my freestyle board
which is too soft. So any suggestions on a great! speedy board? Thanks!

Old April 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Han Solo (D)

"skibum" wrote:

Can anyone help? I am looking for a good board for Slalom & Giant
Slalom events (USASA). I am not interested in a hard boot set-up.
Soft boot only! What's a good stable & speedy board for this that
turns on a dime? Any suggestions? I only weigh 100lbs. I am mostly
a park rider so this is new to me. Thanks!

Well if you won't get a raceboard with hardboots, I would recommend looking
for a Boardercross board.

Putting soft boot bindings on a raceboard probably won't work, as the
boards are too small for them.

Anyway, in my opinion there's no better way than getting a raceboard with
hardboots, you will definitly be faster with that in S and GS.

Han Solo
Old April 28th 04, 04:09 PM
Mike T

I guess that it's because I can't afford it. I have three freestyle
boards
now. -snip-

I don't know much in the way of what works well for 100 pounders, at least
not with soft boots. What freestyle (please note sizes) are you riding, and
which one works best for you in races? We might have some suggestions but
need to know what size you're comfortable on now. Also what size are your
feet?

You might ask over at www.bomberonline.com as well. There are several
folks over there who coach, and some of them might have some ideas.

Mike T

Old April 28th 04, 08:38 PM
skibum

Thanks Mike, I rode a 151 Never Summer EVO for all of my Alpine races and
BoarderX. It was Ok but has a little to much "pop" for BoarderX, and is to
(maybe) wide and not fast or stable enough for Alpine racing . My other
freestyle boards are a 148 Option and a 141 Ride. These are way to light
for racing. What is a good Boarder X board? Palmer? Burton, Volkl? My feet
are a size 91/2 or 10 mens. I am 5ft. 4 inches tall. What are the model
names? Thanks alot!

Old April 28th 04, 08:55 PM
Mike T

Thanks Mike, I rode a 151 Never Summer EVO for all of my Alpine races and
BoarderX. It was Ok but has a little to much "pop" for BoarderX, and is

(maybe) wide and not fast or stable enough for Alpine racing . My other
freestyle boards are a 148 Option and a 141 Ride. These are way to light
for racing. What is a good Boarder X board? Palmer? Burton, Volkl? My

feet
are a size 91/2 or 10 mens. I am 5ft. 4 inches tall. What are the model
names? Thanks alot!

As far as I know Burton doesn't make any Boarder X boards. I've never
ridden a Palmer so I can't tell you much about them.

Voelkl makes the Downhell, not sure if there's anything in your size. F2
makes the Eliminator, again not sure what's in your size.

You might look at the Donek Incline, in the 150. My wife is heavier than
you are but two inches shorter and she rides the 150. It's very, very
stable. It would probably be a tad stiff at 100 pounds but it would still
be useful at 120-130 pounds. (My wife is in that range, and if she did BX,
it would be on her 150)

Or maybe something like a shorter Salomon Forecast.

You have full size feet, and a body that's still got some growing to do,
which is going to severely limit your selection. Most of the faster boards
that are appropriate for your foot size will be too stiff to turn hard.
They might work for GS but not SL or BX. Most of the fast boards with the
right flex - if they exist at all - will be too narrow. If you go to hard
boots, you might, believe it or not, find a better selection.... and it
would all be discontinued stuiff like Burton FP, that could be had cheap if
you know where to look. (If you ever do decide to go that route, go to
www.bomberonline.com's classifieds, put up a WANTED ad, and I'm sure boards
will start popping out of the woodwork)

Don't forget, one you get to the next age group most of the others will have
separate boards for SL, GS and BX.

Old April 29th 04, 01:55 AM
Arvin Chang

"skibum" wrote in message ...
Thanks Mike, I rode a 151 Never Summer EVO for all of my Alpine races and
BoarderX. It was Ok but has a little to much "pop" for BoarderX, and is to
(maybe) wide and not fast or stable enough for Alpine racing . My other
freestyle boards are a 148 Option and a 141 Ride. These are way to light
for racing. What is a good Boarder X board? Palmer? Burton, Volkl? My feet
are a size 91/2 or 10 mens. I am 5ft. 4 inches tall. What are the model
names? Thanks alot!

Yea, a Neversummer Evo is *definitely* not a good BX board. I have a
Evo 155 and like it, but it gets squirrely on me just blasting down to
the park. I have a Donek Incline 155 which is much more stable and has
great hold and and good turning capability. It is also pretty light,
good in the air as well (although much stiffer so harder for rail
tricks... but not as important in BX). As I've done many times before,
I warn that the Incline is a bit narrow... I have size 8 feet (5'8'
147 lbs) and I get boot drag at lower angles (sub-30), I got a pair of
Palmer Powerlinks Riser plates and that problem was solved.
Alternatively you can get their Wide board, which is narrow for a Wide
board - they actually have a Sasquatch which is their ultrawide board
for 11+ riders.

I bet Palmer and Volkl boards are good at BX, but have never ridden
them myself. Mike's suggestion of Salomon is good too... I spent many
happy years on riding a Salomon 450 (two boards). I don't understand
the new naming system they have... although I did ride the Definition
- good stable board, very stiff and amazing edgehold, probably good
for BX as well, but it's just a little unwieldy are lower speeds.

Realize that Mike T and I talk a lot... he was the one who convinced
me to go from a Salomon to a Donek. I find the Incline a better
alround performer compared to the Salomons... but the Definition was
great for blasting down steep slopes at high speed... very good for
landing jumps and blasting through crud (something the Evo is
noticeably weaker at)... but was very stiff making it hard to make
last minute approach adjustments and was actually hard to spin and
grab and stuff. Incline has a bit less high speed edge hold, but was
very good at slow speeds, light to swing around, easier to ollie,
etc...
Old April 29th 04, 02:01 AM
Mike T

I don't understand
the new naming system they have... although I did ride the Definition
- good stable board, very stiff and amazing edgehold, probably good
for BX as well, but it's just a little unwieldy are lower speeds.

Forecast is essentially the renamed 450, or at least it was the first year!

Another Salomon choice might be the Fastback, which is marketed as an
off-piste board but when I rode it several years ago it was actually pretty
carvy. I don't know if that comes in your size though, they tend to come in
bigger sizes from what I can remember.

Old April 29th 04, 07:48 PM
skibum

Thanks Mike & Arvin for the info. My Mom let me bid on a Salomon Definition
on e-bay. I heard from other people that this was a great board. Hope I win
it! Thanks again