Another Cross Contry Ski Reasort For Sale

Old July 19th 04, 01:06 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Another Cross Contry Ski Reasort For Sale

First of all, congratulations and best wishes to Hans Karlsen, the new owner
of Salmon Hills.
Hans is a real knowledgeable guy when it comes to recreation, and if anyone
can make a go of Salmon Hills its him.

Now for related news:

Williams Lake Resort in Rosendale is up for sale. For a cool 7 million you
can own about 400 acres, a lot of lake frontage and a small xc-ski resort
with excellent trails, and endless possibilities for a huge trail structure.
Indeed the old trails are there but overgrown.

Snow making would be in your future.

The place is steeped with xc ski history. It is said to be the cradle of
eastern xc-skiing, and certainly eastern xc ski racing. It was the first
home for United States Biathlon Association.

100 miles from New York City.

This is a year 'round resort. See http://www.willylake.com/

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old July 19th 04, 03:38 PM
sknyski

The place is steeped with xc ski history. It is said to be the cradle of
eastern xc-skiing, and certainly eastern xc ski racing.

I don't want to start a debate here, but I grew up skiing and racing
all over the northeast and I've never heard of the place. If I had to
pick a "cradle of eastern xc-skiing", it would have to be somewhere in
Vermont. Maybe Putney or something.

bt
Old July 19th 04, 07:29 PM
Chris Esposito

Gary Jacobson wrote:
[...]

I hope the transition to the new owner goes smoothly. My grandmother
lived in Rosendale for decades and at one point she had a house across
the street from the lake on the far side from the resort, so I spent
many summers there. My uncle (Greg Rabuffo) taught me how to classic at
Williams Lake 30 years ago when he was heavily involved with the nordic
club at the resort.

Chris
Old July 19th 04, 11:09 PM
Jay Tegeder

It was before your time bt. Gary is talking the early 60s, probably
late 50s. Ed Williams is/was the son of a one time owner, maybe the
founder of the place. He won a U.S. Championship back in 1963 I think.
He's huge by ski standards now. Probably about 6'1" or so and about
250 pounds. The guy is a Manhattan lawyer and doesn't ski much
anymore. I ran into him by chance at the Black Bear in Lake Placid. He
told me a story of spending a some time in a sauna with Norwegian
legend, Harold Grongingen. Let's just say he told me more information
than I needed, wanted or asked to know. It's something the ladies
would find irresistable (sp).

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
p.s. never been irresistable...

Old July 20th 04, 02:27 AM
Gary Jacobson

It's pretty amazing. Rosendale Nordic Ski Club was the first ski club in the
east. It's home was Williams Lake. The first nordic ski race in the 1900's
was held at Williams Lake somewhere around 1930. There were international
jumping competitions there, as well as on near by Joppenburgh Mountain in
the '50's. Numerous ski runners, biathletes, and jumpers with international
experience, national championships under their belts, Olympics as athletes
and coaches, etc. called Williams Lake their home course.

I remember being the chief of course for a Biathlon race that was a trial
for the national team. It was pouring and the snow was fading fast. The race
was held, and mostly on gray snow, with a lot of duff underfoot by the time
the race ended. Not a single complaint from the biathletes.

Somewhere around 1995 in Lake Placid during the National Championships I ran
into John Caldwell. He let me know the role Rosendale's ski scene had in the
formation of Putney's.

I recall some "dirt" and a common belief that once the Putney scene took off
there was no way that a Rosendale skier would be selected. I guess back then
there was more discretion for team selection.

Seems to me too that the Rosendale, Nordic Ski club helped out Lapland Lake
shortly after they opened. They had a fire and some of our equipment was
trucked up to them.

I recall roller ski races on closed roads with foot runners competing along
side and in tandem with roller skiers as relay teams. I hold the course
roller ski record, (not official, Jay) on Edsbyn two wheel roller skis. I
double poled the entire course: All of Binnewater Rd. Later a guy broke it
on in line skates.

There's a lot of history on many fronts along the course at Williams Lake.
It was once a cement factory around the turn of the century, and many ruins
remain. Skiers can ski by "caves", really mines on narrow trails. A fall
into a cave would be disaster. The cool air blasting out of them shakes the
limbs of bushes and is welcome relief from the heat during a summer run. In
the 50's countless lives were saved when a locomotive saw a fire going in
the hotel and purposely slammed the brakes on. The horrific screeching woke
all the guests. That hotel burned down, presumably with all the memorabilia
from that date prior lost.

Snow used to be made for the jump. Surely snow would have to be made if the
new owner would want to breath life back into the resort as a XC center.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY
Simple, not irresistible.

om...

Old July 20th 04, 03:29 PM
sknyski

(Jay Tegeder) wrote in message . com...
It was before your time bt. Gary is talking the early 60s, probably
late 50s.

You're right!!! :-)

bt
Old July 26th 04, 06:30 AM
Terje Mathisen

Jay Tegeder wrote:

It was before your time bt. Gary is talking the early 60s, probably
late 50s. Ed Williams is/was the son of a one time owner, maybe the
founder of the place. He won a U.S. Championship back in 1963 I think.
He's huge by ski standards now. Probably about 6'1" or so and about
250 pounds. The guy is a Manhattan lawyer and doesn't ski much
anymore. I ran into him by chance at the Black Bear in Lake Placid. He
told me a story of spending a some time in a sauna with Norwegian
legend, Harold Grongingen. Let's just say he told me more information
than I needed, wanted or asked to know. It's something the ladies
would find irresistable (sp).

I don't know about the irresistable part of that statement, but it is a
known fact that Harald Grønningen was a _very_ tall guy, all the parts
of his body must have been much longer than average.

Terje
--
-