Canada this winter... where to?

Old September 29th 04, 03:16 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Steve wrote:

Im going over to Canada as well in January for a month. Ive booked a
holiday in Fernie for 10 days and then after that ive got nearly 20
days to go other places. Im looking forward to Fernie and then
possibly Banff. Is it worth going to Whistler, or is it just hype?

I've never been able to justify the expense to myself, YMMV. But
I haven't been there in 20 years. Usually the rave reviews come from
non-Canadians, for whom the prices aren't such a shock.

Which other resorts are worth visiting?

If you're starting at Fernie, you can keep going on the #3 to Rossland
and hit Red. Turn north at Osoyoos and you can hit Silverstar at
Vernon, then Big White at Kelowna and finally Apex at Vernon. If you
want to stick around the interior of BC you can head for Kamloops to try
Sun Peaks. Back east via #1 you can hit Kicking Horse at Golden, then
Lake Louise and Sunshine near Banff. Panorama's an hour out of your way
but if you have a day to spare you can catch it too.

Neil

Old September 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Switters wrote:

Neil's post is a good follow-up, so I'll just pick up on the Whistler
point. Yes there's a lot of hype about the place, but with good reason.
There's a lot of great terrain, and there's a *lot* of terrain. Plus in
those years where the interior is in a drought, there may be more snow on
the coast, so it could depend on the conditions.

Personally I wouldn't rule it out. I've been there 3 times and always had
a blast.

I'd like to go, I just can't afford it. Conditions I've heard can be
highly variable, but the prices are always high.

FYI: starting from Fernie, it's nearly 600 miles to Whistler. The route
I described from Fernie to Banff via Kelowna is about 640 miles. This
is winter driving in mountainous terrain - don't count on making 60 mph
all the time. There are several places on both routes where the roads
are sometimes closed due to poor conditions, so be sure to have some
flexibility in your schedule.

Neil

Old September 29th 04, 09:37 PM
Johannes

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:57:11 GMT, "Mike T"
wrote:

Just be aware that much of what they label black would be double-diamond
on other hills.

I gotta come up and visit. It would be a nice change from Mt Hood where
the only real steeps are way too short.

You should go to Kicking Horse near Golden (BC) and take a look around
Banff - 1.5h drive away

Johannes
Old October 5th 04, 12:26 AM
Bert Root

Prior to the stampede Waco Paco tryped

I was in Kicking Horse last season and oh my what a great mountain.

Ever thought of Panorama. I went there at end of January for 11 days and had
an excellent time. They do heliboarding and its a nice place that had a ton
of snow when we were there. And as a result of that holiday our first child
will be born sometime around October 23rd.

But it is worth a look. Near to Invermere and a nice resort and great
people.

--
((((º Bert Root® º))))

Canada Heliski nico General 1 December 5th 03 04:56 AM
Early Winter in Colorado Steve Dufour General 9 September 15th 03 03:11 PM