Zermatt?

Old February 23rd 06, 10:07 PM

Default Zermatt?

Has anyone returned from Zermatt in the last few days?

How are snow conditions at the top, middle and bottom of the resort?

I've checked the various web reports, of course, such as the SCGB, but
they rarely reflect reality on the ground.

Going out next week.

Thanks in advance.

NM.

Old February 24th 06, 09:17 PM

In article om,
NM wrote:
Has anyone returned from Zermatt in the last few days?

I was across the Rhone opposite side of the valley.

How are snow conditions at the top, middle and bottom of the resort?

Likely OK. Decent coverage.

The big problem, as always, is off piste.
My skis are now approoaching the rock ski phase.

Old March 2nd 06, 07:34 PM

On 2 Mar 2006 10:07:12 -0800, "SteveH"
wrote:

I'm in Zermatt right now. Conditions on piste are OK, just. Cover is
thin and it's pretty rocky in the exposed areas. Where there is snow
making the cover is OK though, but it's very hard packed. It's cold
though, so no real ice around and what snow there is is going to stay
put for a while. Apparently the base is averaging about 40cm at the
top, which is not good, but I'm afraid to say that I find that figure a
bit optimistic.

If you are after piste skiing I'd say you will be OK, most pistes are
open. If you are after off-piste I'm afraid you are out of luck, all
the ski routes are closed and with good reason. Apart from the thin
cover it is wind blown and crusty off the groomers.

Sorry to be the bearer of average news. If it's any consolation I'm
enjoying it all the same, the restaurants are great:-)

Funny stuff, weather. Here in the North of CH it's bee bucketing it
down.

Oh well, off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 2nd 06, 09:28 PM

From what I have seen reported on the Zermatt website, I don't recall
Stockhorn as being open at anytime this season.

I am arriving on Saturday, but I suspect I shall be skiing the entire week
with my 5 year old daughter because Stoked cannot confirm that they will be
operating the Snowflakes kids ski club because of too few children.

Paul Smith

"SteveH" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in Zermatt right now. Conditions on piste are OK, just. Cover is
thin and it's pretty rocky in the exposed areas. Where there is snow
making the cover is OK though, but it's very hard packed. It's cold
though, so no real ice around and what snow there is is going to stay
put for a while. Apparently the base is averaging about 40cm at the
top, which is not good, but I'm afraid to say that I find that figure a
bit optimistic.

If you are after piste skiing I'd say you will be OK, most pistes are
open. If you are after off-piste I'm afraid you are out of luck, all
the ski routes are closed and with good reason. Apart from the thin
cover it is wind blown and crusty off the groomers.

Sorry to be the bearer of average news. If it's any consolation I'm
enjoying it all the same, the restaurants are great:-)

Steve

Old March 6th 06, 08:19 PM

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:34:04 +0100, Ace wrote:

Funny stuff, weather. Here in the North of CH it's bee bucketing it
down.

Oh well, off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow...

According to the ski clib website you're in Alpe d'Huez next week. If
so then I'll probably see you there, all being well.

--
-Pip
Old March 20th 06, 02:20 AM

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:19:54 GMT, Pip Luscher
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:34:04 +0100, Ace wrote:

Funny stuff, weather. Here in the North of CH it's bee bucketing it
down.

Oh well, off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow...

According to the ski clib website you're in Alpe d'Huez next week. If
so then I'll probably see you there, all being well.

I was, he was, all was well. Good skiing was had by all.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)