skiing trip to the poconos

Old January 26th 05, 02:58 PM

Default skiing trip to the poconos

hi,

i am planning to take my girlfried to a ski-trip to the poconos for
ther bday.. any ideas which is a good mountain to go to at the poconos?
there will be about 12 of us, ll beginners, (at max, some of us have
skiied once). we are college students, so trying to look for something
not too expensive.. which is a nice/cheap mountain at the poconos??
and while on that topic what really does classify a "good" mountain for
skiing?

also, i m open to going to vermont, as i have heard they have some
pretty good mountains up there.. so if its better/cheaper to go up to
vermont, i m open to that also..

i was looking at some online stuff, but have no way to compare the
different mountains..

help is much appreciated..

thanks,

Old January 26th 05, 06:22 PM
foot2foot

You might also want to look up a few of my posts in regard
to the three step progression to learn parallel turns.

Posts with the words magic turns, parallel, beginner, skiing,
things like that.

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 10:16 PM
VtSkier

hi,

i am planning to take my girlfried to a ski-trip to the poconos for
ther bday.. any ideas which is a good mountain to go to at the poconos?
there will be about 12 of us, ll beginners, (at max, some of us have
skiied once). we are college students, so trying to look for something
not too expensive.. which is a nice/cheap mountain at the poconos??
and while on that topic what really does classify a "good" mountain for
skiing?

There are several mountains that will fit your needs in PA.
Also PA has been getting more snow than VT. I'm sure someone
here can recommend a suitable place. Remember, the price of
lift ticket ($72 at Killington) is not the biggest expense
you will incur. Those will be lodging, meals and transportation.
If PA is close to you, you will reduce the last to a minimum.
Next thing to do is shop the hell out of lodges and hotels.
Sometimes the best place to stay is a Motel6 in the next town
away from the ski area.

also, i m open to going to vermont, as i have heard they have some
pretty good mountains up there.. so if its better/cheaper to go up to
vermont, i m open to that also..

Hideously more expensive in VT. I recommend PA.

i was looking at some online stuff, but have no way to compare the
different mountains..

Look at weather report histories for various regions.
These will be more accurate than any comparisons of
mountains.

help is much appreciated..

We try.

thanks,

welcome.
Old January 27th 05, 03:02 AM
JQ

wrote in message
[...]

If everyone is a beginner with one or two ski days under your belts, I would
recommend Montage Mountain, Shawnee Mountain, Jack Frost/Big Boulder and
Blue Mountain in that order. Camelback and Elk mountains terrain are more
for intermediate skiers. Since everyone is a beginner I wouldn't venture
further north as those mountains are much tougher and you would be limited
to what you could handle.

What qualifies a mountain as a good mountain for skiing depends on your
level of skiing for one, the quality and amount of snow, the type of terrain
and width of the run, speed of the lifts, and quality of grooming. As a
beginners you want a place that has runs that are wide, with good grooming,
good snow coverage with no ice and not too steep. High speed detachable
lifts and no lift lines are an added bonus.

Some of these areas offer college student discount lift tickets and also
group discounts, most require 15 or more people but you could call them and
probably get away with 12 people for the group discount. If they won't
budge just say that the other resort said they would give your group the
group discount, it is worth the try (get the person's name you spoke to so
when you get to the resort they will honor the discount).

I hope this helps, if you need more info. on the Pocono Mountains let me
know.

PS.
If you need skiing tips look up foot2foot's earlier posts on parallel skiing
for beginners, good stuff.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 27th 05, 02:26 PM
Walt

JQ wrote:
wrote

[...]

I haven't been to Shawnee or Montage, but I'll second JF/BB as a good
choice for beginners. Long, wide, not very steep runs, and usually not
very crowded.

I'd shy away from Blue - there's not much terrain for first timers and
the snow quality is usually inferior to the resorts further north.
Personally, I don't mind skiing glare ice, but I wouldn't recommend it
for a first time skier.

What qualifies a mountain as a good mountain for skiing depends on your
level of skiing for one, the quality and amount of snow, the type of terrain
and width of the run, speed of the lifts, and quality of grooming. As a
beginners you want a place that has runs that are wide, with good grooming,
good snow coverage with no ice and not too steep. High speed detachable
lifts and no lift lines are an added bonus.

What he said. Vermont is "better" skiing for advanced skiers. But as a
beginner it's not necessarily better for you. Stick to the easier (and
cheaper) hills in the Poconos until you get a few more miles behind you.

PS.
If you need skiing tips look up foot2foot's earlier posts on parallel skiing
for beginners, good stuff.

If you can understand it. I think foot may be on to something, but if
he is it's burried deep beneath an avalanche of words.

Point your browser at Ant's site http://www.snowant.com/ for a good
introduction to the site aimed at never-evers.

And sign up for a lesson. I'll help a lot.

--
//-Walt
//

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Thanksgiving skiing at Vail - worth the trip? Jonna Alpine Skiing 16 November 21st 03 01:05 PM