Boston Area Ski Recommendations

Old January 25th 05, 08:50 PM
Mary Malmros

VtSkier wrote:

skilion wrote:

I'm going on travel to Boston from the west coast and have a free day
on Monday. Any recommendations on where to go for a one day ski trip?

North.
But how far north you go could make a difference.
The way things stack up now, not too far north
is the order of the day.

Mt Snow (in VT) got loads of snow, 20" or more
last weekend but Killington further north only
got a foot.

Oh, wow, was Mount Snow SWEET today! I took out my GS:11s for the first
time this year -- first time we had snow I'd trust 'em to --
and...well...you know that feeling when you know why you paid all that
money for those skis? Yeah. Over and over and over again. And never a
worry about hitting a rock or a stick or even an icy patch, just let 'em
run. YEEHA!!!

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 25th 05, 08:52 PM
Mary Malmros

VtSkier wrote:

Mad River Glen is Kewl beyond measure. Trouble is they only
have about 3 acres worth of snowmaking and the farther north
you go in VT the less snow you will see.

Er, that's true _right now_; Martha's talking about a visit next year.
If the storms are coastal, or in that weird
Albany-tracking-east-northeast pattern, Mount Snow tends to get the best
goodies of anywhere...but it doesn't always play out like that. Next
season, who knows what the predominant weather pattern will be?

Old January 25th 05, 09:12 PM
Black Metal Martha

Mary Malmros wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
Dave Stallard wrote:

Walt wrote:

skilion wrote:

I'm going on travel to Boston from the west coast and have a free

day

on Monday. Any recommendations on where to go for a one day ski

trip?

How far do you want to drive and how picky are you?

Wachusset is the closest "real" hill and probably won't be too

busy

on a

Monday. I enjoyed the place when I was there, but your miles may
definitely vary.

Here are your other options
http://www.skidweeb.com/index.cgi?v=all&z=02101&s=drive

Wachusett's pretty small - only about 1000' vertical.

I would say, if you're willing to drive about 2.5 hours, go to one

of

the "Ski 93" places in New Hampshi Waterville, Loon, or Cannon.
Sunapee in NH would be a compromise between the Ski 93 areas and
Wachusett, both in terms of size and drive time.

Dave

How's Mad River? I think I'll be visiting my sister in New

Hampshire
next year, so I thought I'd do a bit of skiing while I'm there.
Or, is Killington a better choice?

I'd say Mad River. Killington is a bit of a zoo, Mad River more off

the
beaten path.

Actually, if I was coming from Yonder and wanted to ski in a New

England
ski area, it would be Stowe. Good mountain, good town (by which I

mean
a more authentic town, not a cookie-cutter faux alpine village or a
strip mall).

Both, you should know, are quite a haul from Boston, and likely a
nontrivial drive from wherever you'll be in New Hampshire. Depending

on
where in the state you'll be, you might want to also look at the

Maine
resorts, Sugarloaf or Sunday River.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Since my trip is so far away, I'll
check out all of them and see what happens.
It sounds interesting and quite an adventure.

Thanks!

Martha

Old January 25th 05, 09:32 PM
VtSkier

Mary Malmros wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Mad River Glen is Kewl beyond measure. Trouble is they only
have about 3 acres worth of snowmaking and the farther north
you go in VT the less snow you will see.

Er, that's true _right now_; Martha's talking about a visit next year.
If the storms are coastal, or in that weird
Albany-tracking-east-northeast pattern, Mount Snow tends to get the best
goodies of anywhere...but it doesn't always play out like that. Next
season, who knows what the predominant weather pattern will be?

it's twue, it's twue!!
Old January 27th 05, 08:05 AM
rosco

Black Metal Martha wrote:

Dave Stallard wrote:

Walt wrote:

skilion wrote:

[...]

When I was living east, these two resorts were on the opposite ends of
the scale. Killington is perhaps 3.5 hours from Boston. Mad River
about the same. Killington is way overhyped and crowded. I am ashamed
to say I never skied MRG. I always went a bit further to Stowe, my
favorite east coast resort 8 years ago. Sunday River was good, too.
Ski 93 was the regular run. Wildcat was also good fun but cold. All
are within 4hrs striking distance of Boston.

RAC