BC Rain and Conditions

Old January 25th 05, 02:41 AM
ttalb

Default BC Rain and Conditions

What has all the rain done to the BC ski areas? We are supposed to heading
to Red Resort in two weeks and appears as if the rain really hammered their
base. Anybody up that way lately?

Old January 25th 05, 03:03 AM
Dave M

ttalb wrote:

What has all the rain done to the BC ski areas? We are supposed to heading
to Red Resort in two weeks and appears as if the rain really hammered their
base. Anybody up that way lately?

Haven't been up there yet this year. Not much reason to go with so
little snow -- certainly not enough to ski where I want to ski at Red Mtn.

This about says it all:
ISSUED: Monday January 24, 2005 15:00 PST

SYNOPSIS: High-pressure ridge centred across Idaho through to the north
coast seem to be anchored in this location. The flow around it will
continue to provide mild air out of the south. Meanwhile a band of
moisture off the Pacific is stretched across the south interior and is
part of a rapidly weakening front edging southward across the area. Not
much activity associated.

FREEZING LEVEL: Near 2500 metres falling to near 2000 metres tonight, it
will likely lift a few hundred metres on Tuesday.

RED MOUNTAIN FORECAST:
TONIGHT: Cloudy with possible clear breaks, if so temperatures should be
cooler.

TUESDAY: Mainly cloudy with a chance for a few showers, wet flurries on top.

It isn't worth the drive from here even. The only place that sound like
it might be at all good is Sunshine butthat is a little too far to go on
spec.

Dave "I rode my bike in shorts today" M.

Old January 25th 05, 01:01 PM
David Harris

Dave M wrote in
:

ttalb wrote:

[...]

Check out the alternative Red site "The Unred":
http://www.unred.com/news.php

He gives a pretty candid assessment of real conditions at Red, often with
pics. For the past couple of years tho, he's been spending a lot of his
time at Baldface Lodge, which sounds amazing - but it's a small (well,
world's largest, in fact) snowcat operation in the same area.

Cool site.

dh
Old January 25th 05, 01:35 PM
tg

"David Harris" wrote in message
Dave M wrote in
:

Check out the alternative Red site "The Unred":
http://www.unred.com/news.php

He gives a pretty candid assessment of real conditions at Red, often with
pics. For the past couple of years tho, he's been spending a lot of his
time at Baldface Lodge, which sounds amazing - but it's a small (well,
world's largest, in fact) snowcat operation in the same area.

Cool site.

dh

Great site. I appreciate it. Unluckily we are locked into being there in two
weeks, so I hope conditions change for the better. Then heading to Snowwater
for some Cat skiing. T

Old January 25th 05, 02:48 PM
Armin

tg wrote:
"David Harris" wrote in message
Dave M wrote in
:

Check out the alternative Red site "The Unred":
http://www.unred.com/news.php

He gives a pretty candid assessment of real conditions at Red,

often with
pics. For the past couple of years tho, he's been spending a lot

of his
time at Baldface Lodge, which sounds amazing - but it's a small

(well,
world's largest, in fact) snowcat operation in the same area.

Cool site.

dh

Great site. I appreciate it. Unluckily we are locked into being there

in two
weeks, so I hope conditions change for the better. Then heading to

Snowwater
for some Cat skiing. T

Right now everything around here sucks. Red, WH2O, Salmo, etc., etc.,
etc....

Rain, fog and very warm temperatures everywhere. Sunday morning it was
+3c when I left my house in Nelson and it was +3c when I got to the
parking lot at WH2O. 4,000 feet elevation difference and no temperature
gradient.

Snow is rotten glop and visibility is poor.

Having said that, I wouldn't be too concerned if you're not coming for
another two weeks. All this can, and most likely will, change
overnight. It's been unseasonbly warm and wet for one and a half weeks
now. Based on past experience, that means that the odds of it lasting
another two weeks are slim to none.

My guess is that by the time you get here the warm spell and crappy
snow will be nothing but a bad memory and the cool temps and powder
will have returned.

Armin

Tahoe! Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 5 January 4th 05 01:23 PM
hunter conditions this week? David Rothman Alpine Skiing 0 March 3rd 04 01:39 AM
ski conditions at Innsbruck? Sue European Ski Resorts 0 November 26th 03 08:31 PM
ski conditions at Innsbruck? Bill Alpine Skiing 1 November 26th 03 08:31 PM