Thunderbird Set Up Help

Old October 31st 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_2_]

Default Thunderbird Set Up Help

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:50:47 -0400, Mike Treseler
wrote:

ant wrote:

I am puzzled as to what is a good laptop brand to get though.

If it has to be a laptop,
I think Dell is as reliable as any.

My personal laptop I'm writing on right now is an IBM Thinkpad T42, a
pre-Lenovo model. It's pretty good. We haven't liked the one Lenovo
Thinkpad T60 we bought to try out at work. We're using (and I will soon
be getting) Dell Latitude D630s. Damn fast machine. Get it with 2 GB.

We got some Dell XPSs awhile ago, but haven't liked them.

An interesting alternative is the new Macs, which you are coming with
Bootcamp installed, so you can run Windows on them as well, if you buy
your own copy. It'd be a dual boot setup, where you boot into one OS or
the other. They are supposed to be damn fast. The advantage would be
having the more stable Mac environment as an alternative.

Don't get Windows Vista - stay with XP as long as you can. Buy while
they're still letting you buy it. Businesses demanded it, that's why they
extended XP. Nobody wants to deal with Vista.

Dave

Old October 31st 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

wrote:
ant wrote:

[...]

My department's I.T. guy has been warning everyone NOT to purchase
Dells. Apparently they are turning to cheaper, inferior quality parts
in construction of their PC's and laptops. He said this is more
important in laptops.

He said ThinkPad's and Lenovo's from IBM are your best bet nowadays

Old October 31st 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

Bob F wrote:

FWIW, there is no reason a desktop can't handle wireless, with the
appropriate card installed.

Can't carry a desktop around to wherever you want to use it. Laptops don't
have those spaghetti-messes of cords everywhere, with dust! and you can't
travel with a desktop.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old October 31st 07, 09:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

wrote:

ant wrote:

I am puzzled as to what is a good laptop brand to get though.

If it has to be a laptop,
I think Dell is as reliable as any.

My personal laptop I'm writing on right now is an IBM Thinkpad T42, a
pre-Lenovo model. It's pretty good. We haven't liked the one Lenovo
Thinkpad T60 we bought to try out at work. We're using (and I will
soon be getting) Dell Latitude D630s. Damn fast machine. Get it
with 2 GB.

I had a beaut little thinkpad (except we couldn't extend the RAM, it was 32
mb from memory!!!!!!). Tough as guts, too.

Dell used to have a bit of a poor reputation, but they seem to have worked
through that. They keep spamming our fax machine though.

Why did IBM go to that Lenovo thing? They had a good strong name, why change
it?

We got some Dell XPSs awhile ago, but haven't liked them.

Don't get Windows Vista - stay with XP as long as you can. Buy while
they're still letting you buy it. Businesses demanded it, that's why
they extended XP. Nobody wants to deal with Vista.

Yep! I have noticed with approval that many deals have "can come with XP" on
them. XP is good, I like it. No one seems to like Vista at all.

Old October 31st 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

Yabahoobs wrote:

My department's I.T. guy has been warning everyone NOT to purchase
Dells. Apparently they are turning to cheaper, inferior quality parts
in construction of their PC's and laptops. He said this is more
important in laptops.

Good to know. Don't want another dud laptop! I heard that when you ring for
support, you're speaking ot bloody Mysore or somewhere, too.

He said ThinkPad's and Lenovo's from IBM are your best bet nowadays

Still? Well there you go. I'd better go eye them.

Old October 31st 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

ant wrote:
Yabahoobs wrote:

My department's I.T. guy has been warning everyone NOT to purchase
Dells. Apparently they are turning to cheaper, inferior quality
parts in construction of their PC's and laptops. He said this is
more important in laptops.

Good to know. Don't want another dud laptop! I heard that when you
ring for support, you're speaking ot bloody Mysore or somewhere, too.

He said ThinkPad's and Lenovo's from IBM are your best bet nowadays

Still? Well there you go. I'd better go eye them.

Conversly we are only buying Dells, because they reliable and come with on
site warranty.

Oh and if you're used to a thinkpad's nipple, the dell laptops have bothe a
nipple and a touch pad.

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 31st 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

MoonMan wrote:

Conversly we are only buying Dells, because they reliable and come
with on site warranty.

Oh and if you're used to a thinkpad's nipple, the dell laptops have
bothe a nipple and a touch pad.

I don't use either! I have a spiffing range of mouses. I'm currently using
a plug-in one, which doubles as a skype phone (as this pile of crap toshiba
also doesn't have a microphone!!!). There was an episode of Earl where they
were talking into the mouse. Had to have one.

Old October 31st 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

wrote:
ant wrote:
[...]

I've been very happy with my Sony Vaio. I had a problem with the
motherboared but it went back and was fixed under warranty even though
that was from Italy and I bought in the UK.
Old October 31st 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

wrote:
ant wrote:
[...]

that was from Italy and I bought in the UK.- Hide quoted text -

I'm happy with my vaio too. Battery life is the only problem. 45 mins.
each at best. Pentium 4. Makes a great home computer though. And
battery life has only been an issue a couple of times. I have 3 of
them btw.

If I were to get another laptop for travel I'd like to get one of
those 10-12'' screens that weigh a couple of pounds. The last time I
flew Virgin they weighed my carry on, only my laptop, and I was close
to the limit! Meanwhile the 300 pound guy got to carry on as much as
me!!!! What kind of bull**** is that?

Old October 31st 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

ant wrote:

Dell used to have a bit of a poor reputation, but they seem to have worked
through that. They keep spamming our fax machine though.

That's illegal. Report them to whomever you're supposed to report them to.

Why did IBM go to that Lenovo thing? They had a good strong name, why change
it?

They wanted to get out of the PC business so they sold it to China. Not
exactly a high-profit area any more...

--
Cheers,
Bev