motion sickness

Old January 20th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harvard Horvath

Default motion sickness

[Default] On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 10:10:37 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

read a paper upside down? It's nearly impossible. I've even heard of
people who get motion sickness sitting on their couch playing video
games.

I took FauxPro video of my last skiing trip. The thing is set at wide
angle and is mounted on a chest strap. Watching it full-screen makes
me feel dizzy.

Excellant! Now that's what I'm talking about. As a sports fan I know
that there's already cameras mounted on race cars. And I'm waiting
for football quarterbacks to have helmet cams. I can't wait to see
what Mathew Stafford is looking at when he has the ball. But I never
anticipated that it would make some people dizzy. I don't think it
will be a real problem, I think the fans would love it. Also imagine
having a hockey goalie with a helmet cam. The possibilities for
sports are endless. Even the zebras can be equipped with body cams.

I assume this is the seasickness thing caused by the
difference between what your ears feel and your eyes see.

I think it's much much more than that. I think there's an earth flux
sensor built into all animals. That's the sensor that tells your
phone which way it is pointed, so the writing doesn't show up upside
down. I have one of the first ones on my yacht, for an electronic
compass. That's how cats always land on their feet, and birds can fly
in clouds and fog without getting lost or disoriented.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the Universe

Horvath

Old January 25th 19, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harvard Horvath

Default Directions

[Default] On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 10:10:37 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

I'm glad I bought a cheap one. The result is fine technically but sucks
artistically. It claims to be phone-controllable, but whenever I try to
link them up the android app crashes. I need to phone Wasp, but I dread
talking to helpdroids. One of these days.

(This needs a new thread.)

Did you read the directions? Did you interpret them properly? In our
engineering classes at MIT we learned the most likely cause of error
is not following the directions.

I've often thought that anything as complex as a toaster needs a full
instruction manual. But the bean counters won't allow that. So why
not have a CD with the full manual on it? The cost of the CD is about
ten cents. Or at least a website with the instruction manual on it,
in the form of a pfd for printing out.

I like the idea of a CD because you can put advertising on it and make
it pay for itself. How about advertising aspirin for the headache you
get trying to get the product to work? Or beer advertising? for when
you finally get it to work the way you want.

Then they tell you, "What if someone doesn't have a computer." If you
can afford a toaster, then you can afford electricity, and you most
likely have a computer. And if you STILL don't have a computer, you
probably have access to one in the form of a friend, neighbor,
relative, public library, Kinkos, etc. After all, if Trunky can have
a computer, anyone can have one.

Old January 25th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:

I'm glad I bought a cheap one. The result is fine technically but sucks
artistically. It claims to be phone-controllable, but whenever I try to
link them up the android app crashes. I need to phone Wasp, but I dread
talking to helpdroids. One of these days.

(This needs a new thread.)

Did you read the directions? Did you interpret them properly? In our
engineering classes at MIT we learned the most likely cause of error
is not following the directions.

Indeed. I followed the directions (pretty simple, actually) repeatedly.
A problem with directions is that the writers occasionally make
errors, or that the directions apply to an earlier version of the
hardware and are no longer applicable. I'm willing to believe that I'm
screwing up in some way, I just dread talking to helpdroids.

I've often thought that anything as complex as a toaster needs a full
instruction manual.

Long ago, when he was writing cross-assemblers for single-purpose
microprocessors, my husband prophesied that one day there would be
chips even in TOASTERS!

A while back one particular model claimed to have a Bread Brain.

But the bean counters won't allow that. So why
not have a CD with the full manual on it? The cost of the CD is about
ten cents. Or at least a website with the instruction manual on it,
in the form of a pfd for printing out.

Websites with .pdf files are fine. Preferable actually, as long as the
..pdfs offered are searchable. Some are not :-( I no longer want the
nice factory repair manual (I'm done fixing cars; I know a guy who's
good at it and I can afford him), but I put my car's 250-page user
manual on my phone as well as my computer. The radio has its own
manual. Life was a lot simpler when there were just a few buttons to push.

I like the idea of a CD because you can put advertising on it and make
it pay for itself. How about advertising aspirin for the headache you
get trying to get the product to work? Or beer advertising? for when
you finally get it to work the way you want.

:-) Storage problems. HD space is cheap. We even have spare 8TB
drives in case the ones we're using die. I've never had an HD die, but
**** happens.

Then they tell you, "What if someone doesn't have a computer." If you
can afford a toaster, then you can afford electricity, and you most
likely have a computer. And if you STILL don't have a computer, you
probably have access to one in the form of a friend, neighbor,
relative, public library, Kinkos, etc. After all, if Trunky can have
a computer, anyone can have one.

People who have no access to an information device don't need one.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Screw the end users. If they want good software,

Old January 25th 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harvard Horvath

[Default] On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 08:57:01 -0800, The Real Bev

wrote this crap:

I'm glad I bought a cheap one. The result is fine technically but sucks
artistically. It claims to be phone-controllable, but whenever I try to
link them up the android app crashes. I need to phone Wasp, but I dread
talking to helpdroids. One of these days.

(This needs a new thread.)

Did you read the directions? Did you interpret them properly? In our
engineering classes at MIT we learned the most likely cause of error
is not following the directions.

Indeed. I followed the directions (pretty simple, actually) repeatedly.

Another problem is following the directions too literally. I hate it
when voice mail answers, "Are you calling about, something? Please
answer 'Yes or no,'" and I say, "Yes or no." And she says. "I'm
sorry, I didn't get that, please answer, 'Yes or no.'" And I say,
"Yes or no.'" And the whole thing starts again.

A problem with directions is that the writers occasionally make
errors, or that the directions apply to an earlier version of the
hardware and are no longer applicable. I'm willing to believe that I'm
screwing up in some way, I just dread talking to helpdroids.

A major problem is that the directions are written by the people who
designed the product in their own language. But it's translated by
someone who's never seen the product, and doesn't understand how it
works.

I've often thought that anything as complex as a toaster needs a full
instruction manual.

Long ago, when he was writing cross-assemblers for single-purpose
microprocessors, my husband prophesied that one day there would be
chips even in TOASTERS!

I would kill for an LCD display on a toaster. A little picture of the
brownness of the toast, a countdown timer, and a pause button. How
many times have you been making breakfast and you're waiting for your
toast to pop, and you're wondering if you got time to open another
beer? Especially when the timer on the oven dings, and you have to
take out your eggs Florentine before they get rubbery. A damn pause
button would come in handy.

A while back one particular model claimed to have a Bread Brain.

But the bean counters won't allow that. So why
not have a CD with the full manual on it? The cost of the CD is about
ten cents. Or at least a website with the instruction manual on it,
in the form of a pfd for printing out.

Websites with .pdf files are fine. Preferable actually, as long as the
.pdfs offered are searchable. Some are not :-( I no longer want the

I put down, "pdf" but the spellchecker changed it. And the fonts on
the spellchecker are so small that I didn't catch it. (Another faulty
design. I've tried to make them larger.)

[...]

That's ridiculous. It's like saying that people who don't have a car
don't need to leave their house.

Old January 25th 19, 08:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:

I'm glad I bought a cheap one. The result is fine technically but sucks
artistically. It claims to be phone-controllable, but whenever I try to
link them up the android app crashes. I need to phone Wasp, but I dread
talking to helpdroids. One of these days.

(This needs a new thread.)

Did you read the directions? Did you interpret them properly? In our
engineering classes at MIT we learned the most likely cause of error
is not following the directions.

Indeed. I followed the directions (pretty simple, actually) repeatedly.

Another problem is following the directions too literally. I hate it
when voice mail answers, "Are you calling about, something? Please
answer 'Yes or no,'" and I say, "Yes or no." And she says. "I'm
sorry, I didn't get that, please answer, 'Yes or no.'" And I say,
"Yes or no.'" And the whole thing starts again.

A good system will then ask you to wait for a representative...

A problem with directions is that the writers occasionally make
errors, or that the directions apply to an earlier version of the
hardware and are no longer applicable. I'm willing to believe that I'm
screwing up in some way, I just dread talking to helpdroids.

A major problem is that the directions are written by the people who
designed the product in their own language. But it's translated by
someone who's never seen the product, and doesn't understand how it
works.

Long ago I worked for McD in the division that made computer-controlled
lathes (when they were NEW!). Somebody gave me some instructions to
edit. I actually thought about what the user would be expected to do as
I was typing and found some substantive errors -- things that would have
been impossible. You'd think that people who make stuff for a profit
would hand the documentation off to a random literate person for
sanity-checking, but NOOOOOO!

I've often thought that anything as complex as a toaster needs a full
instruction manual.

Long ago, when he was writing cross-assemblers for single-purpose
microprocessors, my husband prophesied that one day there would be
chips even in TOASTERS!

I would kill for an LCD display on a toaster. A little picture of the
brownness of the toast, a countdown timer, and a pause button. How
many times have you been making breakfast and you're waiting for your
toast to pop, and you're wondering if you got time to open another
beer? Especially when the timer on the oven dings, and you have to
take out your eggs Florentine before they get rubbery. A damn pause
button would come in handy.

What's needed is a memory. You put in a slice, assign a number and push
a button. Then you have to toast it, checking frequently for the degree
of toastedness desired, and then push a SAVE button. Minor initial
nuisance, but how many different kinds of bread to you use? Main
variable is the amount of sugar.

I want a microwave freezer. I want a faster microwave -- a minute to
heat a cup of coffee is too long. I want to figure out how to soften
butter quickly (under 10 seconds) without melting it.

A while back one particular model claimed to have a Bread Brain.

But the bean counters won't allow that. So why
not have a CD with the full manual on it? The cost of the CD is about
ten cents. Or at least a website with the instruction manual on it,
in the form of a pfd for printing out.

Websites with .pdf files are fine. Preferable actually, as long as the
.pdfs offered are searchable. Some are not :-( I no longer want the

I put down, "pdf" but the spellchecker changed it. And the fonts on
the spellchecker are so small that I didn't catch it. (Another faulty
design. I've tried to make them larger.)

As a descriptor it doesn't need the period. In my opinion. (I'm
watching The Good Wife again.)

Use Thunderbird in 'text' mode. Just let it SHOW you the oddities, but
fix them yourself. Come on, you know now to spell, you don't need a
checker to tell you the right way, it just needs to signal you when you
were careless.

People who have no access to an information device don't need one.

That's ridiculous. It's like saying that people who don't have a car
don't need to leave their house.

Not quite. That skips a step. People who don't have a car don't need a
manual.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than
Old January 26th 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harvard Horvath

[Default] On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:30:14 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Another problem is following the directions too literally. I hate it
when voice mail answers, "Are you calling about, something? Please
answer 'Yes or no,'" and I say, "Yes or no." And she says. "I'm
sorry, I didn't get that, please answer, 'Yes or no.'" And I say,
"Yes or no.'" And the whole thing starts again.

A good system will then ask you to wait for a representative...

BIIIIIIIIIINGOOOOOOO!!!! Give the lady a see-gar! Suppose I had
said, "Si or nyet"?

I would kill for an LCD display on a toaster. A little picture of the
brownness of the toast, a countdown timer, and a pause button. How
many times have you been making breakfast and you're waiting for your
toast to pop, and you're wondering if you got time to open another
beer? Especially when the timer on the oven dings, and you have to
take out your eggs Florentine before they get rubbery. A damn pause
button would come in handy.

What's needed is a memory. You put in a slice, assign a number and push
a button. Then you have to toast it, checking frequently for the degree
of toastedness desired, and then push a SAVE button. Minor initial
nuisance, but how many different kinds of bread to you use?

Wouldn't work in my house. My parents come from Eastern Europe, and
when they were here they used to buy all kinds of bread, oat bread,
potato bread, rye, wheat, pumpernickel. (Don't call me a racist but
I'm a conservative. I'm strictly a white bread guy. I never could
stand black bread.)

Also I like to cook other things in the toaster, such as toaster
pastries, eggos, and English muffins.

Main
variable is the amount of sugar.

The sugar caramelizes in the toaster, that's what makes it brown.

I want a microwave freezer. I want a faster microwave -- a minute to
heat a cup of coffee is too long. I want to figure out how to soften
butter quickly (under 10 seconds) without melting it.

Have you tried taking off the foil?

I want a microwave I can cook eggs in. Put in two fresh eggs in and
one minute later they're like hard boiled. Also I want one with a
remote. Also I want a UKR, universal kitchen remote. One that can
control the stove, oven, microwave, toaster, espresso machine,
overhead fan, roaster, bread maker, electric can opener, pizza oven,
hot air fryer, even the TV, AND can answer the phone. AND has a damn
pause button.

People who have no access to an information device don't need one.

That's ridiculous. It's like saying that people who don't have a car
don't need to leave their house.

Not quite. That skips a step. People who don't have a car don't need a
manual.

OK, but it's still like saying people who don't have a bathroom don't
need a bathroom.

Old January 27th 19, 02:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harvard Horvath

[Default] On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 10:06:58 -0500, Harvard Horvath

wrote this crap:

[...]

This is my next toaster. Too bad it doesn't have a remote.
https://www.amazon.com/Willsence-Ext...sters+with+lcd

Old January 27th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:

I want a microwave freezer. I want a faster microwave -- a minute to
heat a cup of coffee is too long. I want to figure out how to soften
butter quickly (under 10 seconds) without melting it.

Have you tried taking off the foil?

Foil? Butter has always come wrapped in paper on this planet...

This is my next toaster. Too bad it doesn't have a remote.
https://www.amazon.com/Willsence-Ext...sters+with+lcd

Its most impressive feature is that it's BPA-free. Most toasters have a
lot of it.

I don't like the fact that whoever wrote the blurb didn't bother to have
a native English speaker edit it. Seems impressive for the price,
though. Let us know how it works.

I just ordered this intellectual bracelet -- an excellent example of
Chinese advertising spiel.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y8xczlfn

--
Cheers, Bev
An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed
Old January 28th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harvard Horvath

[Default] On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 08:58:52 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

I want a microwave freezer. I want a faster microwave -- a minute to
heat a cup of coffee is too long. I want to figure out how to soften
butter quickly (under 10 seconds) without melting it.

Have you tried taking off the foil?

Foil? Butter has always come wrapped in paper on this planet...

Not the kind you get in restaurants. It comes in individual single
packets wrapped in foil. I put those in my pocket to warm up, but
sometime I forget and end up taking them home.

This is my next toaster. Too bad it doesn't have a remote.
https://www.amazon.com/Willsence-Ext...sters+with+lcd

Its most impressive feature is that it's BPA-free. Most toasters have a
lot of it.

I don't like the fact that whoever wrote the blurb didn't bother to have
a native English speaker edit it. Seems impressive for the price,
though. Let us know how it works.

I just ordered this intellectual bracelet -- an excellent example of
Chinese advertising spiel.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y8xczlfn

Seems like a good deal. But what is 22 over 30? If that's a BP
reading, then you're dead. And 15C ? Did they take that picture
outdoor? If that's the studio temp, it's way too cold.

In the fourth pic, I like the roman numerals, but what's 2056? the
digital time doesn't match the analog time. Let me know how this
works out, I may get one too.

Old January 28th 19, 04:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:

I want a microwave freezer. I want a faster microwave -- a minute to
heat a cup of coffee is too long. I want to figure out how to soften
butter quickly (under 10 seconds) without melting it.

Have you tried taking off the foil?

Foil? Butter has always come wrapped in paper on this planet...

Not the kind you get in restaurants. It comes in individual single
packets wrapped in foil. I put those in my pocket to warm up, but
sometime I forget and end up taking them home.

I bet you have a stash of ketchup packets too. I finally threw mine out.

This is my next toaster. Too bad it doesn't have a remote.

Not useful unless it includes a drone to deliver the toast to your
current location. The autobutter attachment is NOT included, but since
your pocket is full of butter that isn't an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Willsence-Ext...sters+with+lcd

Its most impressive feature is that it's BPA-free. Most toasters have a
lot of it.

I don't like the fact that whoever wrote the blurb didn't bother to have
a native English speaker edit it. Seems impressive for the price,
though. Let us know how it works.

I just ordered this intellectual bracelet -- an excellent example of
Chinese advertising spiel.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y8xczlfn

Seems like a good deal. But what is 22 over 30? If that's a BP
reading, then you're dead.

I'd guess that's the time: 22:30 on March 26.

And 15C ? Did they take that picture
outdoor? If that's the studio temp, it's way too cold.

I'd guess it was outside on a cloudy day.

In the fourth pic, I like the roman numerals, but what's 2056?

The number of steps. See the little green footprints?

the
digital time doesn't match the analog time. Let me know how this
works out, I may get one too.

--
Cheers, Bev
Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.