snowboarders

Old January 22nd 05, 01:27 PM
Mary Malmros

ant wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

ant wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:Xd2dnaSEvo9-fXrcRVn-

And weren't you the guy who bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of
riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

worth bragging about. It was bloody funny.

I wonder if it would be so bloody funny if some snowboarder did the same
to you. You'd just lie down in the slush and roll around laughing, right?

doesn't alter the fact that the event, in 1998, was extremely funny. You
should have been there, although I'm glad you weren't.

I suppose I'm glad I wasn't either, o prickly one. I guess you did have
to be there. I can understand that, but I'm still not sure I'd be
bragging about it seven years later.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 22nd 05, 01:30 PM
Mary Malmros

ant wrote:

"snoig" wrote in message

"ant" wrote in message

I have been hit numerous times in recent years, and all by boarders. In
fact, if you count having your skis run over or someone brush by slowly,
would say it's a daily occurance. They are changing the sport for many
people.

ant

Seriously Ant, if you have been hit numerous times in recent years, you
need
to start looking at yourself and what you are doing to make yourself such
target.

I teach skiing. I therefore ski slowly in areas where boarders want to
"maintain their speed", or maybe they just want to show off how cool they
are. be that as it may, being hit by other snow users didn't happen to me in
the 60s, or the 70s, or the 80s. It started when snowboarders came on the
scene, and increased when I slowed down, in order to match the speed of my
students.

BTW, when boarders hit me, I don't fall down. They do.
But what if I was your mother, trying out skiing? Tell her to change what
she does? Or isn't she allowed to go skiing? Especially if she doesn't ski
fast enough.

Well, suppose it WAS someone's mother. I'm sure there are
someone's-mothers out there on the hill. So how many people besides
yourself (and your fellow slow-moving instructors) are being hit with
the multiple-times-daily frequency that you describe? Or at all? Do
you see others being hit while skiing slowly in these areas?

How about requiring ALL snow users to respect a very basic tenet of snow
use: DON'T HIT OTHER PEOPLE ?

You've got the authority; yank tags if you feel someone's riding
dangerously.

Old January 22nd 05, 01:44 PM
uglymoney

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:30:49 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

[...]

About five years ago I took an early season trip to Copper Mountain.
They only had a couple runs open off of the six pack and I skied it
all day. It was incredibly icy, and very crowded. I was hit hard no
less than three times by snowboarders. All three skidded into me from
above while I was stopped in areas that I considered safe zones. It
sucked, but I had nowhere else to ski, nowhere to hide. If you dance
with the devil eventually your going to get burned. By the end of the
day I had a whole differenet view of snowboarders and have taken
steps since to reduce my chance of injury.

How about requiring ALL snow users to respect a very basic tenet of snow
use: DON'T HIT OTHER PEOPLE ?

You've got the authority; yank tags if you feel someone's riding
dangerously.

They seem to (vast majority) all ride like that though?! The only
sure way to prevent collisions is to ban them from mountains in the
first place.

I'm siding with Ant here.

I rarely get hit by snowboards, but that is because I do everything I
can to avoid them. Like someone already said, Ant has to work where
she has to work, and so she is unable to do everything in her power to
avoid them.

nate
Old January 22nd 05, 02:21 PM
Mary Malmros

wrote:

[...]

That's also the only sure way to prevent collisions with skiers.

I'm siding with Ant here.

I'm not disputing your experience. I'm just asking her about hers. I'm
also in the position of skiing slowly to stay with my students, and I've
only been nicked once this year (which, granted, was a snowboarder, and
if I hadn't acted preemptively, it could have been quite a bit worse --
or he could have taken out one of my students). But multiple times a
day, no. I wonder if some of it may be specific to the hill, the
runout, the design of the lift maze, etc.

I rarely get hit by snowboards, but that is because I do everything I
can to avoid them. Like someone already said, Ant has to work where
she has to work, and so she is unable to do everything in her power to
avoid them.

I'm in the same fix, and as I said, I've only been clipped once this year.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:57 PM
pigo

And weren't you the guy who bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of
riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

worth bragging about. It was bloody funny.

I wonder if it would be so bloody funny if some snowboarder did the same
to you. You'd just lie down in the slush and roll around laughing,
right?

doesn't alter the fact that the event, in 1998, was extremely funny. You
should have been there, although I'm glad you weren't.

I suppose I'm glad I wasn't either, o prickly one. I guess you did have
to be there. I can understand that, but I'm still not sure I'd be
bragging about it seven years later.

Care to point out where someone "bragged" about it.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:40 PM
lal_truckee

ant wrote:

But what if I was your mother, trying out skiing? Tell her to change what
she does? Or isn't she allowed to go skiing? Especially if she doesn't ski
fast enough.

My boy's mother (AKA my wife) was popped in the back by a boarder who
thought it was cool to jump off every berm, even ones at the lift base
where everybody is waiting in line. Patrol pulled his ticket. After
awhile, when it seemed the mother/wife was OK, I talked with my buddies
and had them give the wuss his ticket back, with a lecture.

Two things; the mother/wife developed a bad back by morning - lasted
several days - and I doubt the lecture did any good. Happens again, I
don't interceed to return the SOB's ticket.

How about requiring ALL snow users to respect a very basic tenet of snow
use: DON'T HIT OTHER PEOPLE ?

I don't have to wear a reflective vest. I wear red. I'm pretty visible. I'm
quite solid. I'm there. Most snowboarders who hit me knew I was there. After
they hit me, they do regret it. Not all females are good things to hit.

As others have said, women do seem to get hit disproportionately. If I have
time to raise my ski pole at them, they don't hit me. Isn't that weird?

I believe the resorts are short sighted, allowing boarding at all. You
think any of these doofusses will be dedicated boarders when they're 40,
50, even 60? I bet a way lower percentage remain active than skiers
remain active. If there were no boarding allowed, a fair percentage of
current boarders would be skiers; I don't know if the curves cross, but
my feeling is long term the resorts would have more patrons, not fewer.
Old January 22nd 05, 11:44 PM
pigo

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

I believe the resorts are short sighted, allowing boarding at all.
You think any of these doofusses will be dedicated boarders when
they're 40, 50, even 60? I bet a way lower percentage remain active
than skiers remain active. If there were no boarding allowed, a
fair percentage of current boarders would be skiers; I don't know
if the curves cross, but my feeling is long term the resorts would
have more patrons, not fewer.

This probably won't do anything for your argument but I agree with
you. It's the Brittany Spears of snow. Too teeny bopper and "trendy"
to ever have a chance to be classic. Let's hope so anyway.

What astounds me is that people are adamant that *all* resorts allow
toys. There's 4 in the US (probably the world) dedicated to skiing.
What's the big deal to them?

pigo

Old January 23rd 05, 12:07 AM
Bob

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

I believe the resorts are short sighted, allowing boarding at all. You
think any of these doofusses will be dedicated boarders when they're 40,
50, even 60? I bet a way lower percentage remain active than skiers
remain active. If there were no boarding allowed, a fair percentage of
current boarders would be skiers; I don't know if the curves cross, but
my feeling is long term the resorts would have more patrons, not fewer.

Sorry to trash your theory, but I am not the only one who took up boarding
when I was over 50. Remove your bigot blinders and you might start to see
the grey and white hair I see on boarders all the time. Many of them are
former skiers that decided they needed new challenges.

It's kind of sad to see all these poor abused skiers whine about how
oppressed they are by having to share the mountains. Get over it and grow
up.

The resorts build terrain parks because they know that snowboarders are
saving their butts from the declining popularity of skiing.

Bob

Old January 23rd 05, 12:11 AM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee wrote:
[snip]
I believe the resorts are short sighted, allowing boarding at all. You
think any of these doofusses will be dedicated boarders when they're 40,
50, even 60? I bet a way lower percentage remain active than skiers
remain active.

Well, obviously it's too soon to tell -- there are very few people who
grew up with the sport and who are of an age to be bringing their kids
into it. In skiing you see a lot of multi-generational skiing families
-- by far, most of the kids I teach have at least one skiing parent (and
the large majority of those have _two_ skiing parents). It's also my
impression that their kids' involvement in the sport is strongly
connected with their parents' contining skiing (although I think as a
chicken-and-egg problem, it's kind of hard to sort out cause and effect).

Old January 23rd 05, 04:57 AM
Bob

Well, obviously it's too soon to tell -- there are very few people who
grew up with the sport and who are of an age to be bringing their kids
into it. In skiing you see a lot of multi-generational skiing families
-- by far, most of the kids I teach have at least one skiing parent (and
the large majority of those have _two_ skiing parents). It's also my
impression that their kids' involvement in the sport is strongly
connected with their parents' contining skiing (although I think as a
chicken-and-egg problem, it's kind of hard to sort out cause and effect).

The school that I teach at has some 3rd generation students. Now of course,
a lot of the latest generation are learning snowboarding instead of skiing.
But the family still has fun together.

Bob