One pair for Racing, One Pair for training?

Old September 8th 03, 10:51 AM
Jim Farrell

Default One pair for Racing, One Pair for training?

Bob Creasote wrote:
Hi,

In many sports, many ahtletes have a racing set and a training set of their
equipment. Is this the same for skis? Is it best to have a racing set of
skis that I keep nice and shiny and only bring out for race day and then
another set of training skis that get used each training session.

Unless the conditions are bad, people use the same skis they race on to
train. Can someone help with a search word to find the elaborate
threads we have generated on this subject? Anyway, the more wax you get
in your skis, the more brushing and ultimately the more kilometers you
ride them, the faster (smoother) they get. This is most important for
cold and extremely cold snow. For wet sloppy conditions, a deep
(rilled) structure is better.

Generally
speaking, how long do skis last with regular use (3-4 times a week during
the snow season)? I know that they would probably last forever but how long
before they are no longer fit for the race track?

If you keep them off the rocks and don't have a destructive accident,
they should last a lifetime. (Though you will likely change bindings
more than you would wish to redrill as the future boots become less
compatable.) However, after many high temperature waxing sessions
(especially if you use flourocarbons) the base will eventually seal.
You can also oxidize the base if you don't wax SOON after skiing them.
Then you will have to stonegrind (or peel) to renew the base. You
should be able to do that 6 - 10(?) times.

Jim Farrell

(Just took down my waxing bench to make room for some gorgeous quarter
sawn oak wainscotting. The real stuff: rails, stile and inset panels.)

Old September 8th 03, 11:56 AM
Bob Creasote

Thanks Jim,

Can someone help with a search word to find the elaborate
threads we have generated on this subject?

Sorry , I was too lazy to search on google groups. :O(

thanks again

Jordan

Old September 8th 03, 10:36 PM
Chris Cline

Hi Bob-
It's pretty common in XC ski racing to have a racing
set of skis, and a training set. And a klister set,
and a powder set, and a pair for classic and a pair
for skate. If you are in the sport long enough, you
will tend to save the pairs that work well for
something, and you will end up with what is sometimes
called a "quiver" of skis (which is what you and/or
your mate or chief financial partner will do when you
contemplate how many dollars you have spent buying,
stone-grinding and waxing all these skis!!)

Just as a general, ball-park estimate, a pair of
racing skis should last the average recreational racer
3-5 years. This is assuming a race every other week,
and maybe training on them 1-2 days/week (you will
generally want to train on your race skis occasionally
because repeated skiing and waxing tends to keep the
bases fast). I suspect that most people get new skis
more because they "want them" than because they "need
them."

In actuality, skis will tend to last for as long as
you can still find a use for them, and as long as you
are willing to put the time and money into maintaining
the bases. Skis may start out very stiff, but with a
lot of use, turn into a really nice soft ski. Or into
a not-so-nice soft ski, which is when they usually
fall off the boat in terms of race or training use.

Chris Cline
SLC, UT

--- Bob Creasote wrote:
Hi,

In many sports, many ahtletes have a racing set and
a training set of their
equipment. Is this the same for skis? Is it best to
have a racing set of
skis that I keep nice and shiny and only bring out
for race day and then
another set of training skis that get used each
training session. Generally
speaking, how long do skis last with regular use
(3-4 times a week during
the snow season)? I know that they would probably
last forever but how long
before they are no longer fit for the race track?

thanks

Bob

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com