question: What would happen if I choose the next smaller size board?

Old March 7th 05, 07:10 PM

Default question: What would happen if I choose the next smaller size board?

I just went snowboarding for my first time(2 days). I seemed to have a
harder
time with control. My weight 220. Shoe size 11.5. Dictates that I use
a 160cm board. What would be the ramifications of going down to a
155cm
in order to gain more control. At this point control is more important
me than speed.

Old March 7th 05, 07:37 PM
Mike T

Maybe you should consider that your control issues are due to being a
beginner before trying to change equipment? Frankly at your weight and
skill level 5 cm more or less won't make any difference. It will only
become apparent after you've developed further as a rider.

I was just about to type up a similar response. More likely than not, you
need mileage more than anything else. BTW, most 160cm boards are a bit
small for a 200 rider as it is, not the other way around.

Mike T

Old March 7th 05, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Old March 8th 05, 04:47 PM
lonerider

Just chiming into say that I agree with what Mike, Neil and Dave have
all said - that you should really just get more experience before
trying to size down on your board and either way, 160 is already a
little short for your weight (I would have suggested a 165 cm board) -
at 200 lbs, most 155 snowboards will fold much too easily for you. The
Donek Incline is one of the stiffest freeride board in existence and
even the 155 would be still too soft for you.

Switters wrote:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:10:20 GMT, allegedly wrote:

My weight 220. Shoe size 11.5. Dictates that I
use a 160cm board. What would be the ramifications of going down

to a
155cm

I'm not sure where you got that rule from. I'm 180lbs and I use a

162
board for nearly everything.

It depends on a lot of other factors including stiffness vs

flexibility,
the running length, sidecut radius etc. You'll likely find that a

more
flexible board has the same effect as dropping the overall length.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/