Ski for use on ice-covered lakes?

Old April 10th 04, 06:33 PM
Mike Sandrin

Default Ski for use on ice-covered lakes?

Hi,
I don't have access to a ski shop so would anyone be so kind as to
suggest a ski for the following conditions:

-On lakes in the spring after the weather has turned warm and the
surface is flat.
-Can have hard or soft ice or a covering of up to an inch of corn snow
..
-I skate at a leisurly pace for about 1 1/2 hours.
-185 pounds, quite fit 59 years of age.
-Temperature within about 10 degrees of freezing.
-I'm now using 205 or 210 classic or combi skis but need some edge
hold.

Is there a skateable ski with a metal edge? No one seems to know.

Would a 60-50-60 ski with a metal edge similar to the Fischer NC
Explorer or Madshus Multigrip Pellestova do the trick?

Thanks.
Old April 11th 04, 03:21 PM

Old April 13th 04, 01:21 AM
David Dermott

.

Is there a skateable ski with a metal edge? No one seems to know.

Would a 60-50-60 ski with a metal edge similar to the Fischer NC
Explorer or Madshus Multigrip Pellestova do the trick?

I have Madshus Voss (60-50-55) skis with metal edges. I was
skiing on fairly hard lakes with corn snow 2 weeks ago but it was
classic. I tried skate-skiing for a few strokes but found it very tiring.
These skis are probably too heavy for extensive skate-skiing.
But then, I don't skate-ski :-)

But if the ice is too hard for skiing (classic or skate), there are
faster and more fun ways of travelling across lakes:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/...ics/index.html
or if it's real hard:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/almgrens.jpg

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old April 19th 04, 08:15 AM
Ulrich Hausmann

Mike Sandrin wrote:
Hi,
I don't have access to a ski shop so would anyone be so kind as to
suggest a ski for the following conditions:

-On lakes in the spring after the weather has turned warm and the
surface is flat.
-Can have hard or soft ice or a covering of up to an inch of corn snow
.
-I skate at a leisurly pace for about 1 1/2 hours.
-185 pounds, quite fit 59 years of age.
-Temperature within about 10 degrees of freezing.
-I'm now using 205 or 210 classic or combi skis but need some edge
hold.

Is there a skateable ski with a metal edge? No one seems to know.

Would a 60-50-60 ski with a metal edge similar to the Fischer NC
Explorer or Madshus Multigrip Pellestova do the trick?

There is also a kind of skates the Swedes use (larger and longer ones
with 3-pin bindings. They use them to go out in frozen sea - and lakes i
presume) ....

Greetings,

Ulrich

--
reply to: uhausmannATbluemailDOTch
Old April 19th 04, 12:51 PM
David Dermott

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

There is also a kind of skates the Swedes use (larger and longer ones
with 3-pin bindings. They use them to go out in frozen sea - and lakes i
presume) ....

The bindings on skates for 3-pinned boots are usually fixed-heel.
The latest development is the use of SNS or NNN bindings/boots
(free-heel), which is what I have:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/almgrens.jpg

Apparently, most people buying new skates in Sweden are getting the
free-heel systems. I've also read that the manufacturers of the skate
blades can not keep up with the demand.

Some info in English:
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timonice.html

The North American expert is Jamie Hess:

http://www.webskater.org/

Some photo albums of Swedish skating clubs:

http://www.llk.se/foto/
http://www.bahnhof.se/~robberts/
http://www.frilufts.se/stockholm/alliansen/album/

Old April 19th 04, 01:34 PM
Ulrich Hausmann

Hi David,

thanks for the interesting infos. Once i saw a swedish girl here, buying
a Rottefella 3-pin NN75 for her skates. That ones, definitely, were free
heel. So, i had the idea ...

But, for sure you're right.

With the equipment, you e.g. are using, skating on ice (in long distance
runs) would be very similiar to cross country skiing, wouldn't it (and
therefor, probably, a good solution for the question the original poster
asked)?

Greetings,

Ulrich

Old April 20th 04, 02:07 AM
Ed Huesers

David Dermott wrote:
The bindings on skates for 3-pinned boots are usually fixed-heel.
The latest development is the use of SNS or NNN bindings/boots
(free-heel), which is what I have:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/almgrens.jpg

Apparently, most people buying new skates in Sweden are getting the
free-heel systems. I've also read that the manufacturers of the skate
blades can not keep up with the demand.

Some photo albums of Swedish skating clubs:
http://www.frilufts.se/stockholm/alliansen/album/

Found this photo on a page in your link:
http://www.frilufts.se/stockholm/all...n/pages/22.htm

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com
Old April 20th 04, 01:01 PM
David Dermott

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Ed Huesers wrote:

Some photo albums of Swedish skating clubs:
http://www.frilufts.se/stockholm/alliansen/album/

Found this photo on a page in your link:
http://www.frilufts.se/stockholm/all...n/pages/22.htm

"Walking on water" !!

There's a little joke for 2 previous photos on that page (#19 and #20)
"Oops - wait a sec., the picture should be THIS way" (picture 19 was
upside down)

Rough translation of commentary for this page:

Båven (large lake about 60 km south-west of Stockholm) -Jan 26 2003

With the help of 2 busses we went to Båven's southern end in order to
be able to skate with a tailwind to Penningby Cove where the busses
waited for us.
Along Båven's shores are many castles, fine nature and a rich bird
life. The ice was well lubricated (by light rain in early morning), hard and
really smooth. This gave an unbelievable glide in the tailwind as seen in
this filmclip (27 sec 2 MB).
The tour ended in sunshine and several leaders said that they had not
experienced such fine ice in many years.

Old April 23rd 04, 01:13 AM
Pete Hickey

In article ,
Ed Huesers wrote:

Found this photo on a page in your link:
http://www.frilufts.se/stockholm/all...n/pages/22.htm

Ahhhh...Those who skied the Gatineau 55 in its last year will
look at that picture, and remember "The Meach Lake Swim".. But I
think the water was deeper on Meach.

-Pete

--

"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man
can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."