free heel free ski

Old February 20th 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default free heel free ski

The telemark free ski contest qualifier was today on the Keyhole slopes
here at Alpine Meadows. The guys (and gals) seem to have notched it down
a bit from previous years, but I suspect the old compacted snow has a
bit to do with the conservatism apparent. In the few runs I watched they
were most interested in actually making it down in one piece rather than
hucking off the rocks.

Some snow potential tonight - if it arrives it may help the contest some.

Forecast to snow for the next week but no dump, more of a snow drizzle.
All last week it was spring skiing - old crust warming to mashed
potatoes for some nice off piste action. If the snow arrives it's a
restart on winter.

Old February 20th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

lal_truckee wrote:
The telemark free ski contest qualifier was today on the Keyhole slopes
here at Alpine Meadows. The guys (and gals) seem to have notched it down
a bit from previous years, but I suspect the old compacted snow has a
bit to do with the conservatism apparent. In the few runs I watched they
were most interested in actually making it down in one piece rather than
hucking off the rocks.

Some snow potential tonight - if it arrives it may help the contest some.

Forecast to snow for the next week but no dump, more of a snow drizzle.
All last week it was spring skiing - old crust warming to mashed
potatoes for some nice off piste action. If the snow arrives it's a
restart on winter.

It was somewhat spectacular the year I was out there
and watched a bit of the action. As I recall, we
preferred to ski than to watch that day. It was a
rather good day as I recall.
..

Old February 22nd 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:

Forecast to snow for the next week but no dump, more of a snow drizzle.
All last week it was spring skiing - old crust warming to mashed
potatoes for some nice off piste action. If the snow arrives it's a
restart on winter.

The snow seems to be going in the wrong places this year. I shoveled a
foot of wet heavy stuff off the sidewalk this morning, but there wasn't
much more than a dusting up at the ski hill. And don't get me started
on Texas and Florida...

//Walt

Old February 22nd 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Forecast to snow for the next week but no dump, more of a snow
drizzle. All last week it was spring skiing - old crust warming to
mashed potatoes for some nice off piste action. If the snow arrives
it's a restart on winter.

The snow seems to be going in the wrong places this year. I shoveled a
foot of wet heavy stuff off the sidewalk this morning, but there wasn't
much more than a dusting up at the ski hill. And don't get me started
on Texas and Florida...

Yeah, and Washington, DC and Georgia and, and, Jay Peak of all places,
yet not at good old K-mart.
..

Old February 22nd 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 22, 2:10 pm, VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Forecast to snow for the next week but no dump, more of a snow
drizzle. All last week it was spring skiing - old crust warming to
mashed potatoes for some nice off piste action. If the snow arrives
it's a restart on winter.

The snow seems to be going in the wrong places this year. I shoveled a
foot of wet heavy stuff off the sidewalk this morning, but there wasn't
much more than a dusting up at the ski hill. And don't get me started
on Texas and Florida...

Yeah, and Washington, DC and Georgia and, and, Jay Peak of all places,
yet not at good old K-mart.
.

Jay Peak always get snow, stolen from the resorts further south

Old February 23rd 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
Forecast to snow for the next week but no dump, more of a snow
drizzle. All last week it was spring skiing - old crust warming to
mashed potatoes for some nice off piste action. If the snow arrives
it's a restart on winter.
The snow seems to be going in the wrong places this year. I shoveled a
foot of wet heavy stuff off the sidewalk this morning, but there wasn't
much more than a dusting up at the ski hill. And don't get me started
on Texas and Florida...

Yeah, and Washington, DC and Georgia and, and, Jay Peak of all places,
yet not at good old K-mart.
.

Jay Peak always get snow, stolen from the resorts further south

Well the forecast has been changing here for the past couple
of days. It looks like we could get 'significant accumulation'
Wednesday and Thursday.
..

Old February 24th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
DaveM

More el nino here. Not the best but it has managed to produce some
decent skiing in the mtns. Skied two days agoand the snow as not bad.
Springlike in the afternoon on the bootom but the higer N and E facing
stayed pretty good. Very skiable. Better tahn working anyway.

DaveM