Binding mounting location on twin tip park skiis for skiing powder

Old November 14th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Binding mounting location on twin tip park skiis for skiing powder

Looking for some advice on the mounting location for my bindings. I
recently bought some Volkl Ledge skis. They are designed more for park
and pipe skiing as they are twin-tipped but I will be using them for
powder mostly (can't quite invest in some killer pow boards yet!).
They are slightly overlength for the style of ski (178's - I am 5'10")
but as a result better suited for the powder.

The suggested mounting location for bindings on these skiis is either
completely centered (good for skiing half pipes) or about 3" behind
center. The bindings that are already mounted are located at the
rearward location which would seem to be fine but when sitting them
beside my carving skiis, the binding is significantly more forward on
the twin tips.

Because I plan to use these mostly for powder I feel that I should be
moving the binding further back but I can't find any information that
supports or disagrees. If this is the right approach, where exactly do
I place them??? I would like to mount them myself and even if I did
take them in, my thought is that most guys would simply suggest to
mount them at the suggested location on the skis (which they already
are).

Thanks so much for the help. The snow is coming and I need these
puppies to be ready!

Joel

Old November 14th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Nov 14, 2:31 pm, Kurt Knisely wrote:
Walt wrote in news:13jmplbnlrbnj26
@corp.supernews.com:

You're only
going to be skiing powder 20% of the time anyway, and that's if you're
lucky. Even if you're skiing powder 100% of the time (yeah, right) you
don't want to be too far back.

Speak for yerself, bucko.

(pins on chord center, but that doesn't help)

-K

Thanks gents. I have to agree with K that you can definitely speak for
yourself on the 20% of time spent in powder Walt! To be honest, I
don't get up nearly as often as I would like but when I do, it is
usually for some fresh stuff. Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback.
I have been wondering myself whether I need to be as concerned as I am
about being back on the skiis. Hence the discussion!

K, is your bracketed comment some kind of code language response to my
question or shall I just ignore it?! "Pins on chord center"?

Joel

Old November 15th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

wrote:
[...]

Before manufacturers started marking their preferred point for mounting
(and it varies - some mark boot mid and some boot toe) there were two
methods for locating mount points - chord center (center of chord
distance from tip of shovel to end of tail running surface) and running
surface midpoint. i believe bindings were mounted so that the ball of
the foot was over these points. In other words, people used to do what
they wanted. I've done some playing around having bindings deliberately
off-mounted but with some modern bindings you can now slide the whole
show fore and aft. I'd suggest getting some of those and experimenting
with location.