A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 27th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves

It was suggested to me by an experienced roller ski buddy to pick up
Toko roller ski gloves to protect my hands in case of falls and
prevent blisters. I was wondering - I have excellent full fingered
light mountain biking gloves with mesh backs that seem cooler than the
Toko gloves - the only potential problem is that they have some light
padding over the palm (they are made by Bellweather). Does anyone
think the light padding would interfere with pole grip enough to cause
a problem? Because if the padding would not than the Bellweather
gloves would make even more comfortable (cooler) and durable gloves
than the Toko gloves.

Ads
  #2  
Old April 27th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves

I have not had a lot of durability success with the Toko or Swix
rollerski gloves. They just fall apart somewhat quickly (crashes
probably helped too but ...).

I have been using Pearl Izumi GEL-lite gloves (think that is the
model). They have light "gel" padding on the palm, but I really do not
notice at all when poling. Think the Pearl Izumi gloves work great and
have no complaints. They have been more durable so far. I also rarely
get blisters from them vs. blisters being a more frequent occurance
with rollerski specific gloves. I would guess this is the case because
the bike gloves feel better ventilated.

Bike gloves are the way to go IMHO.

  #4  
Old April 27th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves

On Apr 27, 5:49 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On 27 Apr 2007 00:40:53 -0700, wrote:

I have not had a lot of durability success with the Toko or Swix
rollerski gloves. They just fall apart somewhat quickly (crashes
probably helped too but ...).


I have been using Pearl Izumi GEL-lite gloves (think that is the
model). They have light "gel" padding on the palm, but I really do not
notice at all when poling. Think the Pearl Izumi gloves work great and
have no complaints. They have been more durable so far. I also rarely
get blisters from them vs. blisters being a more frequent occurance
with rollerski specific gloves. I would guess this is the case because
the bike gloves feel better ventilated.


Bike gloves are the way to go IMHO.


It's possible to cut the padding out of cycling gloves too. And there
are a few bike gloves with no padding on the palms -- though hard to
find. I have some old Specialized mountain biking gloves that are just
a single layer of leather on the palm.

--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
****************************


Thanks guys for backing up my impression. I'm certain the Toko gloves
super thin suede palms will fall apart in no time, and the material
used on the backs of the gloves is also a lot less durable and cool
than the material on my Bellweather Attack gloves.

  #5  
Old April 27th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves

On Apr 27, 1:51 pm, wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:49 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:





On 27 Apr 2007 00:40:53 -0700, wrote:


I have not had a lot of durability success with the Toko or Swix
rollerski gloves. They just fall apart somewhat quickly (crashes
probably helped too but ...).


I have been using Pearl Izumi GEL-lite gloves (think that is the
model). They have light "gel" padding on the palm, but I really do not
notice at all when poling. Think the Pearl Izumi gloves work great and
have no complaints. They have been more durable so far. I also rarely
get blisters from them vs. blisters being a more frequent occurance
with rollerski specific gloves. I would guess this is the case because
the bike gloves feel better ventilated.


Bike gloves are the way to go IMHO.


It's possible to cut the padding out of cycling gloves too. And there
are a few bike gloves with no padding on the palms -- though hard to
find. I have some old Specialized mountain biking gloves that are just
a single layer of leather on the palm.


--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
****************************


Thanks guys for backing up my impression. I'm certain the Toko gloves
super thin suede palms will fall apart in no time, and the material
used on the backs of the gloves is also a lot less durable and cool
than the material on my Bellweather Attack gloves.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I either go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy constuction gloves that
closely resemble full-finger bike gloves, or wait for closeouts from
someplace like Nashbar. Both much cheaper than full-price Pearls or
Toko/Yokos.

I still have to tape some of my fingertips for skating or all of them
for classic to avoid blistering in the warmer weather. Even my palm
will blister a bit on long classic roller skis in the summer. I try
not to grip too firmly, and use a lube (Bodyglide), but it still
happens. Any ideas?

Also, my elbows get sore after long double pole sessions. I'm told
there used to be shock absorbing roler poles, and I've tried the
rubber pole "feet" with limited success. (They also make the swing
weight noticably worse, since they're at the end of the pole.) Any
ideas?

Randy

  #6  
Old April 27th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 565
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versusPadded Bike Gloves

Check with Finn Sisu in St Paul about relatively inexpensive ventilated
gloves. Very thin padding on bike gloves will work too, but more than
that may get in the way. That said, I also carry tape to cover the small
finger tips and one spot on the outsides sides of my palms before
heading out on asphalt (not snow). We're all different anatomically,
but sore elbows suggest poles that are too heavy (e.g., Alulite) or
poling technique that is pounding rather than placing. Also, it pays to
stretch shoulders, lats and elbows before and after.

rm

" wrote:

I either go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy constuction gloves that
closely resemble full-finger bike gloves, or wait for closeouts from
someplace like Nashbar. Both much cheaper than full-price Pearls or
Toko/Yokos.

I still have to tape some of my fingertips for skating or all of them
for classic to avoid blistering in the warmer weather. Even my palm
will blister a bit on long classic roller skis in the summer. I try
not to grip too firmly, and use a lube (Bodyglide), but it still
happens. Any ideas?

Also, my elbows get sore after long double pole sessions. I'm told
there used to be shock absorbing roler poles, and I've tried the
rubber pole "feet" with limited success. (They also make the swing
weight noticably worse, since they're at the end of the pole.) Any
ideas?

Randy

  #7  
Old April 28th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 45
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves

On Apr 27, 3:33 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:51 pm, wrote:





On Apr 27, 5:49 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:


On 27 Apr 2007 00:40:53 -0700, wrote:


I have not had a lot of durability success with the Toko or Swix
rollerski gloves. They just fall apart somewhat quickly (crashes
probably helped too but ...).


I have been using Pearl Izumi GEL-lite gloves (think that is the
model). They have light "gel" padding on the palm, but I really do not
notice at all when poling. Think the Pearl Izumi gloves work great and
have no complaints. They have been more durable so far. I also rarely
get blisters from them vs. blisters being a more frequent occurance
with rollerski specific gloves. I would guess this is the case because
the bike gloves feel better ventilated.


Bike gloves are the way to go IMHO.


It's possible to cut the padding out of cycling gloves too. And there
are a few bike gloves with no padding on the palms -- though hard to
find. I have some old Specialized mountain biking gloves that are just
a single layer of leather on the palm.


--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
****************************


Thanks guys for backing up my impression. I'm certain the Toko gloves
super thin suede palms will fall apart in no time, and the material
used on the backs of the gloves is also a lot less durable and cool
than the material on my Bellweather Attack gloves.- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


I either go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy constuction gloves that
closely resemble full-finger bike gloves, or wait for closeouts from
someplace like Nashbar. Both much cheaper than full-price Pearls or
Toko/Yokos.

I still have to tape some of my fingertips for skating or all of them
for classic to avoid blistering in the warmer weather. Even my palm
will blister a bit on long classic roller skis in the summer. I try
not to grip too firmly, and use a lube (Bodyglide), but it still
happens. Any ideas?

Also, my elbows get sore after long double pole sessions. I'm told
there used to be shock absorbing roler poles, and I've tried the
rubber pole "feet" with limited success. (They also make the swing
weight noticably worse, since they're at the end of the pole.) Any
ideas?

Randy- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Ditto for me.

For roller skiing, I also find that the Home Depot light construction
full fingered gloves with the mesh backing work well and don't get
too hot. I have similar experience with tip/3rd segment of fingers
blistering when using regular bike gloves.

Parham.

  #8  
Old April 28th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
RWintski
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versu

Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves
(unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves
by " Apr 27, 2007
at 12:33 PM
-- snip --
Also, my elbows get sore after long double pole sessions. I'm told
there used to be shock absorbing roler poles, and I've tried the
rubber pole "feet" with limited success. (They also make the swing
weight noticably worse, since they're at the end of the pole.) Any
ideas?
Randy

I have had that problem in the past (elbows hurting) and have found it
best over the years to not rollerski with good poles (ie stiff) I use exel
galaxies (circa 1990) and exel champions (circa 1987?) and feel they have
enough give to alleviate elbow problems. They would not be super
efficient for racing, but it doesn't bother me for rollski training.
Randy W.

  #9  
Old May 1st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versu

I've used a lot of different gloves rollerskiing, from the specific
'roller ski' glove to my Swix racing, and found some fault with all of them.
What I've finally come up with is a pair of Sterns Watersport gloves.
They have an unpadded suede palm, wick away sweat quite well and are
only about $10 a pair. I've found them at Walmart and other box stores.
I've also my SCUBA gloves with horrible results; the sweat was
unbearable although the comfort level tops. I've even thought about
using the Sterns in snow....take it for what its worth.
Randy aka Cubby
RWintski wrote:
Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves
(unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves
by " Apr 27, 2007
at 12:33 PM
-- snip --
Also, my elbows get sore after long double pole sessions. I'm told
there used to be shock absorbing roler poles, and I've tried the
rubber pole "feet" with limited success. (They also make the swing
weight noticably worse, since they're at the end of the pole.) Any
ideas?
Randy

I have had that problem in the past (elbows hurting) and have found it
best over the years to not rollerski with good poles (ie stiff) I use exel
galaxies (circa 1990) and exel champions (circa 1987?) and feel they have
enough give to alleviate elbow problems. They would not be super
efficient for racing, but it doesn't bother me for rollski training.
Randy W.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toko Spray-on Grip & Klister waxes Stephen Maturin Nordic Skiing 0 March 3rd 06 03:14 AM
FA: Columbia men's ski pants, Nike ACG gloves, Kombi Weatherguard gloves [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 23rd 05 05:34 AM
Toko Pole Baskets Daniel Vargo Nordic Skiing 2 January 1st 05 02:40 AM
Toko grip Daniel Vargo Nordic Skiing 1 December 31st 04 02:17 PM
Awesome Roller Ski Gloves For $10 Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 1 June 19th 04 03:15 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.