Various

Old November 15th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Default Various

snoig wrote:
clip...As far as
alpine events go,...clip...Much nicer to see it on TV with a
cold beer, fireplace and split times on the screen.

Depends on whether you think of it as a competition where results are
the only important thing or as a spectacle where performance is
important. Agree that TV gives you the best view of the competition, but
the performance is best observed as I described upthread.

Same difference as watching football on TV vs going to the game.

Old November 15th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

Alex Heney wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:25:31 -0500, VtSkier wrote:
Alex Heney wrote:
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:05:28 -0500, Walt wrote:

I think Autumn skiing is great. The first day of winter is Dec 21...

But officially, that is midwinter's day.

Well that depends. Meteorologically it may be midwinter's day but
officially it is the first day of winter being the solstice.

Nah, it is the "officially" I would dispute.

The "official" definition of the beginning of winter depends on who the
official is:

"Astronomically, winter starts with the winter solstice , and ends with
the spring equinox. In meteorology, it is by convention counted instead
as the whole months of December, January and February in the Northern
Hemisphere.

However, in the United Kingdom and Ireland the winter solstice is
traditionally considered as midwinter, the winter season beginning
November 1 on All Hallows or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on
Imbolc or Candlemas, which is February 1 or 2.

In Chinese astronomy , winter is taken to commence on or around November 7."

Personally, I'll take the Potter Stewart approach: "I know it when I
see it."

//Walt

Old November 16th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alex Heney

Alex Heney wrote:
[...]

Fair enough.

Being in the UK, I was taking the UK definition :-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Old November 16th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
snoig

pigo wrote:
I've found that the speed event are as you describe. But S and GS
have been pretty visible top to bottom when I've watched them live.

As with anything there is the air of excitement and festivity
attending a live event. The bonus with skiing is that you can see
every skier. On tv (in the US) they only show the top contenders and
Americans usually.

I guess it really depends on the layout of the course. At Breck, the
trail where they run the alpine events really isn't designed for
spectators. I've only seen the S and GS events there since they have
never run and DH or SG. The problem there is that the only good place
for spectators is in the middle of the course. The end of the course
has a left turn near the bottom so no one can see the finish and if you
want to be in the finish area you need to hike up a flat trail about
half a mile to be able to see it.

I have friends who have been to the Beaver Creek downhills and they
enjoyed it. But there's a much better layout there. You can see most
of the course from the bottom and the end of the race is near the mid
mountian lodge area so there are facilities there and it's easy to set
up scoreboards and video feeds. Breck just isn't laid out for the
spectators for speed events. Guess that's why they don't have them
there anymore. The only reason we used to have them was because we
could pretty much guarentee early season snow and we were usually the
first or second event of the season before they moved to Europe.

OTOH, all of the park/arieal events are right down at the base area.
Many times they are under the lights and they always attract large
crowds since getting there is easy and it's no problem to go inside if
it gets cold.

snoig

Old November 16th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

"snoig" wrote in message
ups.com...
pigo wrote:
I have friends who have been to the Beaver Creek downhills and they
enjoyed it.

Any one going to Beaver in less than two weeks now?

I hear Kitzbühl is like the US superbowl - very much a scene.

After I posted I remembered I 've actually been to a World Cup. In the late
70s at Stratton, Vermont. I actually took some moving pictures of it. I was
perched right below a knoll, and I would turn on the camera as the crowd
noise ramped. It was dramatic footage of Ingmar Stenmark. If I only could
find it - would make a great Youtube clip. I think it was destroyed though.

That physics book looks a little pricey - sure I (with no background) will
be able to understand it?

Anyone want to ski Mauna Kea, Hawaii this winter? It's one of those buddy
situations (no lifts): one person skis while the other drives the truck back
up the hill. Maybe a west coaster with quick turn around time - the
conditions can be fickle. MK weather report line (808) 935-6268.

Old November 18th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

"Mike" wrote in message
"snoig" wrote in message
ups.com...
pigo wrote:
I have friends who have been to the Beaver Creek downhills and they
enjoyed it.

Any one going to Beaver in less than two weeks now?

Yup. Me and several of my old ski racing buds from MN will be there. We
were there last year as well. Watched the SG and DH from the Pump House.
We had a start list, so we knew who was coming down for each run. For the
GS and SL, the pump house area was closed to spectators because I believe
that was about where they stated.

Nothing beats watching these skiers come at you and then fly away from you
from a great point on the hill. At the finish, they had stands and a huge
monitor to watch the racers from the top. The announcers were very good.
You miss a lot of what the race is really like when you view it on the tube.

We did plenty of skiing on top of getting to watch the races 1st hand. We
sat with Aksel Lund Svindal at lunch on the GS day and we were surrounded by
ski racing legends. Aksel WILL be a legend one day. Hermann Maier spoke to
me. He said, "Dank You.", after I said, "Have a good one Hermann." I'd
sacrifice any day of skiing for that. But, I didn't have to.

It was a great 4 days.
--
Marty

Old November 19th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

"Mike" wrote in message
* At races, why don't they account for weather in the timed events. The
USSA should hire some type of physicist that would run some type of
mathematical formula that would account for changes in between run of air
temperature, wind, snow
temperature. Wouldn't it be more exact that way?

No! Besides, you forgot to mention the state of the course when the racer
that got picked to ski last has to go. Still, the best are able to overcome
these types of issues and still be the best. There is already enough math
and science. Ski races are not held indoors - thank God!

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail
was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

Depends on where you are on earth.

* Roadtrip anyone? Late one night I caught this show on pbs Passport to
adventure in which they feature Gdare (sic?) ski resort outside Tblisi,
Georgian Republic in The Caucus Mountains. Looked pretty deserted.

Lift tickets are expensive there.

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season. I live by the ocean and the salt air does a jobber on anything
metallic it seems.

Yes!!! Swix HC10 is nice for that.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?

Yes!!!

Did it interfere with your skiing?

Unfortunately, I have plenty of opportunity to ski without the interference
of a good World Cup ski race to rob me of a few runs.
--
Marty

Old November 24th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-11-13, Mike penned:
* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the
earth is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at
thanksgiving a couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring
skiing. The trail was 60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath
was maybe 20 yard. There were parts where you had to walk over
dirt/grass.

I don't think of November as autumn, but anyway I've been skiing twice
this November. Would've been at least four times if I hadn't gotten
this stinkin' flu. The second time was nothing like spring skiing --
it felt an awful lot like mid-season. Yay for lots of snow! Keep it
coming!

--
monique
Longmont, CO