Mom of a novice

Old March 5th 06, 01:26 PM

Default Mom of a novice

My 14 year old daughter started snowboarding this past winter and
absolutely loves it. We are hoping to take advantage of end-of-season
prices and purchase her a board, boots, pants, etc.

I am clueless as to what she needs. Would someone be kind enough to
make a list of items, including preferred brands? Something, like a
guideline, that we could print out and take to the store.

Price IS an object.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old March 5th 06, 02:11 PM

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The most important thing is to get boots that fit well. Figure out your
budget, then spend whatever part of it is necessary to get boots that fit
well, get bindings that workwith them, and then spend whatever is left over
on a board, used if necessary.

Depending on what size she wears, shops may be sold out of her size in most
models by now. Or maybe she'll be lucky and be one of the two or 3 sizes
that are still commonly available.

Some feet have a way of having expensive taste... only top end boots fit
them well. If this is the case, it just means you have less to spend on a
board. No big deal. Used boards are plentiful. She'll enjoy riding
more if she has boots that are comfortable and fit well. If they are out
of her size, wait till next fall. They'll still have '05-06 model bindings
and boards around, possibly at even deeper discounts, let us know what area
you live in, perhaps someone will local to you and have advice on which
stores tend to have older stock around.

Please post her boot size and weight if you want advice on boards to look
for. No, I'm not being a pervert... those numbers are important when
choosing a board; the boot size determines ideal board width and the weight
is helpful in selecting a board length.

Welcome to the sport - perhaps a try yourself sometime - it's a blast!

Mike T (35 y.o. father)

Old March 5th 06, 03:15 PM

Thanks for your rapid reply.

I'll post her boot size and weight in a bit.

It's been years since I'd been in a ski lodge and I forgot what a great
atmosphere it is. After being a spectator, I've been tempted to either
strap on a board or a pair of skis. The board seems constraining, but I
suppose the boots just pop in and out of the bindings.

We reside in SE Wisconsin.

Thanks, again, for replying. You have instilled in my brain that boots
are first and foremost.

Old March 5th 06, 08:41 PM

Hey there,

greets from Germany! Since your daugher is a novice and you are willing to
pay for her full outfit, I'd recommend some protective gear. A friend of
mine broke his wrist last winter. He still can't turn it without pain.
French doctors suck... Look for gloves with wrist protection.
As I recall from my beginner times, my knees and rear end always hurt. I do
ride with a Burton Protector Pant and Protec Soft Knee Pads plus wrist
protection gloves. If you like your kids very much, you could add a helmet
to that list ;-)

For optimal pleasure with your outerwear gear, I recommend to get something
with a high waterscale since it prevents from getting wet and freezing. Use
some moist transporting gear as a warm layer. I made the worst experiences
with cheap supermarket gear. Since then, my gear is pricey but worth it:
Burton Shield ipod Jacket, Burton Shield Pant, Burton Ruler Boots, Nitro
Atlas 164 Board, Nitro Team STA Bindings (I'm 1,90m; 110kgs). I feel safe,
warm and comfortable all day long!

Have fun!

ups.com...

Old March 6th 06, 02:09 AM

Currently the "novice" is a size 6 boot, weight approximately 103
pounds.

Since there is a potential for growth, I guess I should put off a
purchase until Fall?

Old March 6th 06, 08:37 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I've decided that it would be foolish to make any purchases now, but
I'm going to reference all of this information when the time comes. I'm
completely dumb to the sport so all of your words have been
appreciated.

Thanks to Stelios for the heads up on protective gear. Though my
daughter has been encouraging me, right now I have too much on my plate
(the kids, full-time job and a 9-credit semester) to consider taking
up the sport. Sometimes I do my homework at the lodge while I'm waiting
for her, thinking, "I could sure use a dose of fun right now." There's
always next winter.

As with any sport, I figure there must be an abundance of used
equipment out there. If I go that route, I figure I can at least pick
up a decent board for her at a substantial savings.

Old March 10th 06, 05:08 PM

I assume you head to Tryol Basin from now to now since your in SE WI. Next
year take a break from the books one night you/ree there and check out the
$10 lesson/rental. I think they have it a couple of times a week.

cheers

Old March 15th 06, 01:27 AM

We're closer to Wilmot, but as she advances I'll take her up to some of
the hills near Madison.

$10 is a real steal.

Old March 19th 06, 09:33 PM

Wilmot has a tow line on their beginner hill. That hill has next to no
pitch.

I forgot about Little Switzerland.