Westchester County (NY) - nordic resources?

Old January 7th 04, 01:32 AM
Brian

Default Westchester County (NY) - nordic resources?

It seems like I'm moving to lower Westchester County in the near
future, and was wondering if anyone can give me a nordic review of the
area.

Any good roller-ski areas? Parks with closed roads/paths?

Decent tracked skiing for classic and/or skating?

Thanks for the info!

Brian
Old January 7th 04, 01:56 AM
Jim Grau

There's a rather nice rail trail called the North County Trailway that
many of us use for roller skiing:

http://www.westchestergov.com/parks/...Countymain.htm

For groomed skiing nearby, the closest is probably Fahnestock Winter
Park, off of the Taconic Parkway. I see lots of Westchester County
skiers there when the snow is good.

http://www.roberts-1.com/fwp/

The problem with Westchester County is that the snow is NOT usually
good --- last winter was an unusually good exception. A bit further
with better snow is Minnewaska State Park, but if you really want
reliable snow, many of us end up going to Prospect Mountain in VT. ---
it's still close enough for a day trip if you're hopelessly addicted
to the sport like many of us are.

Jim

Old January 9th 04, 11:15 AM
Ken Roberts

Yes, unless it's a lucky winter (and there have been some), a Westchester
resident who wants to ski regularly is going to have to drive out north from
the county. For some more info about places Jim Grau mentioned -- and
others in daytrip range, see
http://roberts-1.com/hvski/xc/map
and click on green-highlighted areas of the map that interest you.

Ken

Old January 9th 04, 11:25 AM
Ken Roberts

Actually on that map you can also click on some non-highlighted places -- so
I suggest doing the obvious thing and clicking on "Westchester" to see two
other possible (non-groomed) places that might be good if you get out quick
after a snowfall -- before the walkers.