Halfpipe etiquette?

Old February 24th 04, 03:20 PM
El Gordo

Default Halfpipe etiquette?

Just started riding the pipe at the local spot, and I had some real dumb
questions about the proper way to drop in without ****ing people off:

*What is "calling your drop in?" - does this just mean shouting 'next'?

*The half pipe I started on has a big roll-in facing down the middle of the
pipe- should I be using this, or is it fine to drop in from the side (which
is what i've been doing)?

*Am I supposed to wait until the pipe is completely clear of riders? (ie. if
a rider is waaay down at the last part of the pipe, do I just wait until
he's completely out?

I rode half pipe in the skateboarding world for a while, and most of the
time it was an unspoken thing as to who went next (usually someone was
poised on the end ready to go).

werd-

Old February 24th 04, 03:40 PM
Playdreamer

"El Gordo" wrote in message
Just started riding the pipe at the local spot, and I had some real dumb
questions about the proper way to drop in without ****ing people off:

*What is "calling your drop in?" - does this just mean shouting 'next'?

*The half pipe I started on has a big roll-in facing down the middle of

the
pipe- should I be using this, or is it fine to drop in from the side

(which
is what i've been doing)?

*Am I supposed to wait until the pipe is completely clear of riders? (ie.

if
a rider is waaay down at the last part of the pipe, do I just wait until
he's completely out?

I am far from a half pipe expert but in many places I have noticed that
people sit around above the pipe and stick a hand up in the air when they
are ready to go. Then they wait (hand up) until whoever is in the pipe is
well clear, not necessarily finished, and set off. Entry from the side seems
to be the preferred approach.

When you arrive sit down behind anyone already waiting so you can follow the
hand signals until they have all gone and its your turn and hopefully anyone
after you will have sat down behind you!

Luke

--
http://www.snowgo.com - Reading writing and riding

Old February 24th 04, 05:03 PM
Switters

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:20:04 GMT, "El Gordo"
allegedly wrote:

*What is "calling your drop in?" - does this just mean shouting
'next'?

Stick your arm up and call attention to the fact that your dropping
in... same goes for the park. I've heard people shout different stuff,
but "clear", and "call" seem popular.

*The half pipe I started on has a big roll-in facing down the middle
of the pipe- should I be using this, or is it fine to drop in from
the side (which is what i've been doing)?

Whatever works for you.

*Am I supposed to wait until the pipe is completely clear of riders?
(ie. if a rider is waaay down at the last part of the pipe, do I just
wait until he's completely out?

I don't think so, people would be there all day. Give enough room so
that if the person before you bails it, then you can avoid them without
hassle.

I rode half pipe in the skateboarding world for a while, and most of
the time it was an unspoken thing as to who went next (usually someone
was poised on the end ready to go).

You'll find a lot of people simply sit there. I think it's a pressure
of perfomance thing... people don't want to look like a newbie so they
let people go. Most of the good riders know this, so won't be waiting
too long... if no-one calls it, they'll be up and dropping in. So you
don't need to be waiting there thinking: well that guy was here before
me. If he doesn't want to go, then you go.

Disclaimer: I'm also no great pipe rider, but I hit the park often
enough, and the rules appear to be the same.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/

Old February 24th 04, 05:55 PM
Mike T

Only one thing to add to Playdreamer and Switters' responses:

(Disclaimer - I *suck suck suck* at the pipe)

I rode half pipe in the skateboarding world for a while, and most of

the
time it was an unspoken thing as to who went next (usually someone was
poised on the end ready to go).

This too can be the case with snow pipes. One important difference
between skate pipes and snow pipes is that with snow pipes, a rider can
come in from above the pipe and drop in without stopping. This goes
against good pipe etiquette but I've seen it done all too often. If
you call your drop, it slightly increases that the kook tying to cut
through the queue notices that (s)he needs to stop. Have fun and be
safe!

-Mike T

Old February 26th 04, 05:29 AM
Rider Josh

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
Only one thing to add to Playdreamer and Switters' responses:

(Disclaimer - I *suck suck suck* at the pipe)

I rode half pipe in the skateboarding world for a while, and most of

the
time it was an unspoken thing as to who went next (usually someone was
poised on the end ready to go).

This too can be the case with snow pipes. One important difference
between skate pipes and snow pipes is that with snow pipes, a rider can
come in from above the pipe and drop in without stopping. This goes
against good pipe etiquette but I've seen it done all too often. If
you call your drop, it slightly increases that the kook tying to cut
through the queue notices that (s)he needs to stop. Have fun and be
safe!

-Mike T

Some places have a verbal convention like "Droppin' In" others don't
follow such a convention.

I usually give the rider ahead of me 3-3 hits before I drop.
Old February 26th 04, 12:18 PM
Sharkie

Switters wrote in message . ..
*What is "calling your drop in?" - does this just mean shouting
'next'?

Stick your arm up and call attention to the fact that your dropping
in... same goes for the park. I've heard people shout different stuff,
but "clear", and "call" seem popular.

I've heard "drop" and "dropping in" at the places I've been to.

*The half pipe I started on has a big roll-in facing down the middle
of the pipe- should I be using this, or is it fine to drop in from
the side (which is what i've been doing)?

Whatever works for you.

Yes, usually beginners start at the top, and more advanced riders
drop in from the side (more speed right away).
Old February 29th 04, 01:22 AM
Arvin Chang

"El Gordo" wrote in message ...
Just started riding the pipe at the local spot, and I had some real dumb
questions about the proper way to drop in without ****ing people off:

*What is "calling your drop in?" - does this just mean shouting 'next'?

*The half pipe I started on has a big roll-in facing down the middle of the
pipe- should I be using this, or is it fine to drop in from the side (which
is what i've been doing)?

*Am I supposed to wait until the pipe is completely clear of riders? (ie. if
a rider is waaay down at the last part of the pipe, do I just wait until
he's completely out?

Basically what I do is raise my hand and shot "Drop Next" just after
the current rider is already in the pipe (on the first wall, any
earlier and you might confuse them). I'll look for confirmation that
people heard me. Then after the previous rider has gone 2-3 walls (I
might have to give him more if he's slow) I shout "Dropping" and start
to go down the hill (checking to make sure someone else isn't
starting).

In general, to help people recognize the queue. I usually offer
someone next to be to go before me. If they accept, then I call "Drop
Next." if not then I get precedence and can go when the pipe is clear.
If the person in front is really slow, then it is really important to
have everyone in line recognize that you are the next person to go.

I say that you should line up on which ever location most of the
riders are setting up... so either on the roll in from above or the
top of the wall. Most people don't use the speed they gain from the
roll in anyway. However it's bad to try and drop in from the side if
everyone is uptop and vice versa as it makes the queueing all
confusing. What you should do is alternate on sides as people tend to
prefer dropping in one side or the other, then queueing becomes very
natural and rhythmic...

The key thing is everything is don't get in the line if you aren't
ready to go. The most annoying thing is having people up in front
blocking everyone and not going down into the pipe/jump because they
are still mustering up their courage. Either hang back, or GO when
it's your turn.

--Arvin
Old February 29th 04, 01:23 PM
Some Dude

Oh and beat the **** out of kids that walk up the center of the pipe
"looking for their friends" dodging people as they go down the pipe.
true story

Thats good etiquette...really.

wrote:

Just started riding the pipe at the local spot, and I had some real dumb
questions about the proper way to drop in without ****ing people off:

*What is "calling your drop in?" - does this just mean shouting 'next'?

*The half pipe I started on has a big roll-in facing down the middle of the
pipe- should I be using this, or is it fine to drop in from the side (which
is what i've been doing)?

*Am I supposed to wait until the pipe is completely clear of riders? (ie. if
a rider is waaay down at the last part of the pipe, do I just wait until
he's completely out?

I rode half pipe in the skateboarding world for a while, and most of the
time it was an unspoken thing as to who went next (usually someone was
poised on the end ready to go).

werd-

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old March 1st 04, 08:57 PM
Sharkie

(Arvin Chang) wrote in message . com...

The key thing is everything is don't get in the line if you aren't
ready to go. The most annoying thing is having people up in front
blocking everyone and not going down into the pipe/jump because they
are still mustering up their courage. Either hang back, or GO when
it's your turn.

This actually applies to almost any feature in the terrain park.
It took me a while to understand the queue system at the top of the park,
and in front of any major feature. Good riders come, quickly assess
who's in the queue, and who is just sitting around, and are able to go
with minimal waiting.

The problem seems to be that some riders just sit there for the "cool factor"
of being in the park, and some as you said, are mustering courage.
The problem with the latter that they wait way too long between riders.
They wait for the pipe/line of jumps to be clear, and even then hesitate.
During that time someone else drops in, and they keep on waiting.

The solution would be to have a beginner part of the park, with small jumps,
low rails, small quarterpipe, etc. I understand that some parks are
better with this than the others.

But if you're in a park just watching various features, stand clearly
to the side. Once you decide to try a certain feature go when it's your
turn - do not hesitate. Feel free to slightly slower, but don't hesitate
forever at the top.