Anyone ride with an MP3 player?

Old February 17th 04, 06:01 PM
Dethlar2004: Blaq Action Hero

Default Anyone ride with an MP3 player?

I remember an MSN.com article a year or two ago about the songs of choice
for some pros while riding. I think it was actually a big advertisement for
iPods, but I digress. Has anyone had faith in their hardware and peripheral
vision to use one? If so, how much does it enhance your experience?

Old February 17th 04, 06:22 PM

It doesn't enhance the experience. It detracts from it. I like to listen to
the silence and the music of the mountain.

To each their own, I will never listen to music while I ride, and I don't
like those teenybopper ass-wipes that have the ghetto sounding stereo
backpacks.

Lots of people ride with mp3 players I presume.

-T

"Dethlar2004: Blaq Action Hero" wrote in message
news
I remember an MSN.com article a year or two ago about the songs of choice
for some pros while riding. I think it was actually a big advertisement

for
iPods, but I digress. Has anyone had faith in their hardware and

peripheral
vision to use one? If so, how much does it enhance your experience?

---

Old February 17th 04, 06:28 PM
Cary Paugh

I ride with an Ipod. I got some small speaker elements designed to
slip into "180" brand of ear muff. They were on sale at Kohls for
$10. I slit the material in my helmet ear muffs and slipped the
speakers in. This way nothing is wedged in my ears. I keep the
volume at a background level. I almost don't hear it when I ride,
just on the lift on the way up. I can still carry on a conversation
with the person sitting next to me or communicate with someone I'm
riding with. I can also hear people around me.

I like it but to each his own.

Old February 17th 04, 07:05 PM
Tom

I ride with an Ipod. I got some small speaker elements designed to
slip into "180" brand of ear muff.

I thought about taking my Treo 15 up, but liek the iPod it's a hard disk
player, and I thought I'd trash it when I fall off. I thought I'd grab a sports
MP3 player; there seem to be some on the market specifically built for active
people.

I think it would put me off, but it would be fun for long chairlifts and
gondolas. Beautiful mountain scenery + tunez = heaven!

Tom
UK
Old February 17th 04, 10:45 PM
Jess McClelland

I listen to one while boarding and use "ear buds" (no helmet). I too
keep my volume pretty low, and only use one of the speakers so I can
hear whats going on around me. So far, no problems....

Jess
Old February 17th 04, 11:32 PM
Christopher.Cox

I ride with a MuVo NOMAD. No moving parts powered by a single AAA
battery. I found maneuvers at high velocities creates a lot of
distracting noises, so if I am really ripping, I crank up the volume. I
am now focused on visual and feel feedback.

It is allot like working out in a weight room. The constant beat tends
to help you with your timing. Quite possibly why you can see Olympic
types with headsets on while they are in the pipe.

I like the silence of the mountain as well...... While I am motionless.
On a board, its time to jam.

Later,

Chris

Old February 18th 04, 12:56 AM
toddjb

"Dethlar2004: Blaq Action Hero" wrote in message ...
I remember an MSN.com article a year or two ago about the songs of choice
for some pros while riding. I think it was actually a big advertisement for
iPods, but I digress. Has anyone had faith in their hardware and peripheral
vision to use one? If so, how much does it enhance your experience?

Its great.

The volume you play it at depends on your skill level and that of those
around you. If you're usually the fastest person on the slopes, crank
up the tunes, because it is unlikely that anyone will be overtaking you.

If you're a novice, keep the volume low enough to hear what's going on.
And no matter your skill level, make sure you look around more to compensate
before you change course or enter a slope.

Its a blast though. I love it in the moguls, in particular. Something
loud and thrashing will give me lots of energy to make it through the run
and there's always a beat to turn on.

As a rule of thumb we turn them off when we board in the trees.
In the trees its important to hear your crew so nobody gets lost or falls
in a tree well without you noticing...you of course want everyone to hear
you as well if you need to call for help.

So, yeah, to each his own. I love it, though.
Someone here said they've seen teeny-bopppers with ghettoblaster backpacks?
Where can I get one of those?

-todd
Old February 18th 04, 08:17 AM
Edward Arata

I started riding this year with an Ipod. I've taken quite a few good falls
with it and it still turning so I hope that keeps up. I just use the small
in-ear phones that it comes with and a hat to hold them in. Works alright.

I only use it when I'm on the mountain boarding by myself, otherwise I'm
trying to hang with people. I have a boarding mix of music that I listen to
and find that I end up really rippin down the mountain while listening to
it. But on the other hand it's nice to listen to the board sometimes,
especially in powder.
So I guess I like it on so so days when I'm by myself, other than that I
would rather listen to friends or the mountain.
To each his own.

ED

Old February 18th 04, 10:21 AM
phil

iPod, moguls: seconded. It helps your turn rhythm. Stick the remote
down your sleeve and operate it from inside your glove, so you can
switch it off to talk to your mates on the lift. I've been riding with
tunes since the 1980s without incident. I still remember the run when
I first tuned-in; it took my riding to a new level.

Personally I keep aware of what's behind me by looking around,
although I do ride quickly so I don't have much incoming from there.

I don't use it for tree-riding in the back country because I need to
hear where other people are as a direction-finding aid.

I have boarded a fair bit with someone who's deaf. She can run rings
around almost anyone at a resort, in complete safety.
Old February 21st 04, 10:25 PM
Tiburon27

You may want to check with your local hill and see if it's not against hill
policy to ride with headphones. Some places frown upon that.