Any first hand reports from Utah last weekend?

Old November 22nd 04, 06:14 PM
nielsdt

Default Any first hand reports from Utah last weekend?

Did anyone ski in Utah Nov. 20-21? I'm interested in a report.

nielsdt

Old November 22nd 04, 10:57 PM
Dave Stallard

AstroPax wrote:

Here is a pic from yesterday, Alta, 11/21/04 (231KB):

http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/temp_a...-21-04_001.htm

What part of Alta is this?

Dave
Old November 22nd 04, 11:52 PM
Dave Stallard

AstroPax wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:57:31 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

AstroPax wrote:

Here is a pic from yesterday, Alta, 11/21/04 (231KB):

http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/temp_a...-21-04_001.htm

What part of Alta is this?

Pic taken from Sugarloaf lift looking west.

Baldy Shoulder (east), and Baldy.

In the lower left corner of the pic, you can just barely see the
traverse that runs from the Top of Sugrloaf lift to the top of the
Germania lift...umm, rather, I mean the top of the Collins lift, now.

Yow. I'm ready to ski this stuff. I'd want to rent wider powder skis
than what I have now (K2 Axis X). Got any recommendations for a wider
powder ski?

Dave
Old November 23rd 04, 02:27 AM
Dave Stallard

AstroPax wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:52:04 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

Yow. I'm ready to ski this stuff. I'd want to rent wider powder skis
than what I have now (K2 Axis X). Got any recommendations for a wider
powder ski?

I've skied the k2 "Axis X" in a good 24" to 30" of Utah's finest, and
IMO, the Axis X is a perfectly good powder ski.

FWIW, the XP was K2's entry for Western skiing/powder. The X was their
Eastern ski.

I've skiied the X in powder at Telluride and found it to be OK. Wasn't
24" to 30", however. I'm not very experienced in powder, but would
sort of like to be

Personally, I ski an all-mountain mid-fat. I hate the really fat fat
boys; *too* much float, and they generally suck on the ingress and
egress routes.

I'm suspicious of the really wide ones that look like water skis. Vokl
has some like that this year...

Dave
Old November 23rd 04, 03:12 AM
Dave Stallard

AstroPax wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:27:32 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

FWIW, the XP was K2's entry for Western skiing/powder. The X was their
Eastern ski.

OK, must have been the XP I was on. Sorry for the confusion.

Could have been an X for all we know. Though probably the XP sells more
out there.

Dave
Old November 23rd 04, 03:44 AM
rosco

wrote:

Yow. I'm ready to ski this stuff. I'd want to rent wider powder skis
than what I have now (K2 Axis X). Got any recommendations for a wider
powder ski?

I've skied the k2 "Axis X" in a good 24" to 30" of Utah's finest, and
IMO, the Axis X is a perfectly good powder ski.

Personally, I ski an all-mountain mid-fat. I hate the really fat fat
boys; *too* much float, and they generally suck on the ingress and
egress routes.

-Astro

Agreed. What is considered a mid-fat nowadays is up for discussion. My
everyday ski last season has a 89 waist and that was considered powder
width a few years ago. This ski responds to edge changes ultra quick
for such a fat ski, so I still consider it a midfat... I can ski a tight
line in moderate bumps which blew me away when I first got this ski. My
other midfats have a waist of 74... on the skinny side for me. The 89
sucks on the groomed (mucho chatter... not much carving finesse), but I
don't ski groomed much, so I don't care. The 74 does much better on
groomed and off-piste bulletproof so that comes out in more marginal
conditions. I will be replacing this ski with something in between most
likely.

I am partial to Dynastar, Rossi and Salomon midfats but there are other
great skis out there now.

RAC

Old November 23rd 04, 04:55 AM
Lucky

wrote:

Yow. I'm ready to ski this stuff. I'd want to rent wider powder skis
than what I have now (K2 Axis X). Got any recommendations for a wider
powder ski?

I've skied the k2 "Axis X" in a good 24" to 30" of Utah's finest, and
IMO, the Axis X is a perfectly good powder ski.

Personally, I ski an all-mountain mid-fat. I hate the really fat fat
boys; *too* much float, and they generally suck on the ingress and
egress routes.

I'm with that.
I've got two pairs of all mountain stix. some 175 hots
and a pair of 170 volant SOUL's. both are almost exactly the same radius.
the hots being a lighter ski are fast becoming my favorite