BC ski conditions - Red Mtn and Snowwater update

Old February 15th 05, 06:21 PM
tg

Default BC ski conditions - Red Mtn and Snowwater update

Went to BC last week and spent two days at Red Mountain. Hadn't snowed in
several weeks and conditions weren't the best to say the least. Mornings
were very icy and hard - softened up in the sun and warmth for decent
afternoon given the conditions. The Paradise lift area was great - good tree
runs in the Ledges area and on both sides of the Southern Comfort run (but
obviously tracked out by now) but we made the most of it. Some good steeps
on the front face from the Motherlode lift. Not much beginner terrain, but
great terrain for the better boarder/skier. I would love to go back again
with good snow conditions. Relatively cheap lift tickets and lodging on the
mountain. It is about a 2-2.5 hour drive from Spokane. Highly recommend the
Gypsy Rose restaurant at the base for dinner.

Went to Snowwater Lodge near Nelson for 3 days of heli/cat skiing. Great
operation with lodge in the mountain accessible only by cat. No new snow in
a week or so, but that meant low avalanche risk. Conditions were decent the
first day but there was a crust about 4-8 under the softer top snow. Some
great open runs as well as heavily treed so everyone was happy at the end of
the day. Second day was really nice as we flew to new territory for peak
runs at alpine at the upper stages. Still some nice powder in the trees and
non southern aspects due to the higher elevation. These runs were about 2500
vertical. They did a good job of tailoring the runs to the level of our two
groups - 4 of us per group with two guides/group. Really nice day. Woke up
to 20 inches of new snow Sunday for cat skiing. Best day by far, up to 30
inches or so at elevation. They had good gladed runs with good snow
stability. Our group was worn out after 6 runs in the powder. The lodge had
a hot tub, full time chef (all food and lodging was included) , and can
sleep about 12-14. Owner and guides were stellar. Very professional and
safety conscious. I know this time of year it is usually deeper snow and
more powder, but they were still able to get us as best as could be
expected. They didn't have to work too hard on that the last day though.
Most of the heli and cat drop offs were boarder friendly - some traversing
but if the skiers broke trail the boarders were fine. Even though we didn't
have new snow each day - best 3 days of boarding I have had. Of course it
was also my first time in a heli operation. Not for an intermediate - no
mellow runs here.

Planning to go next year but hope the snow conditions at Red and the rest of
BC are more like normal. I would bet some of the resorts are hurting in BC.

Have fun.

Old February 15th 05, 06:45 PM
todd

Great report, thanks.

As I may have mentioned we're doing almost the same trip in one month.
Staying in Nelson. Hope to ski Whitewater and Red and then stay on the
mountain with Baldface and cat ski for 4 days.

I'm hoping for more snow and some solid spring storms before we go!
Glad your trip ended with a powder day and you found fun turns in the
trees all along. Any other tips for traveling up there? (things to
bring or leave home)

Old February 15th 05, 07:39 PM
tg

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Great report, thanks.

As I may have mentioned we're doing almost the same trip in one month.
Staying in Nelson. Hope to ski Whitewater and Red and then stay on the
mountain with Baldface and cat ski for 4 days.

I'm hoping for more snow and some solid spring storms before we go!
Glad your trip ended with a powder day and you found fun turns in the
trees all along. Any other tips for traveling up there? (things to
bring or leave home)

Whitewater and Red both have good terrain with nice steeps. Hope your snow
conditions are better. One of our group had been at Baldface as well and
said it was more of intermediate terrain in powder but a good operation with
great people. Please give us an update on your views of it after you visit.
I was looking at it as well but they couldn't fit a group our size in until
late in the season for this year.

We actually had a guide for a half day at Red that really helped us find all
the good stuff to help get us ready for our trip. Contact me offline and I
will be glad to give you his contact info. Just a half day with him and we
knew what the locals did. It was as easy trip. Crossing the border at
Northport was simple and easy both ways. Canada recommends a passport or
license and birth certificate. US only needed license for coming back in.
Remember to get receipts to get your 7% GST back. I found equipment and
clothing expensive in Canada even with the exchange rate. Make sure to pack
everything. For the lodge bring a pair of slippers and a robe (Snowwater
provided these) and we lounged in them. I brought too many non ski/board
clothes. Remember the swimsuit for the hot tub. For Nelson they recommended
the Prestige Inn (I think that was the name of it).

Good luck.