airport transfer from lyon to flaine

Old October 18th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Default airport transfer from lyon to flaine

I have booked a chalet in Flaine for the first week in January and am
now trying to arrange the transport. Though Geneva airport is much
closer to Flaine than Lyon, getting a flight to Lyon is much more
convenient and cheeper than going to Geneva. So I now have to find
transfers from Lyon to Flaine. Does anyone have any suggestions or
ideas? The best bet at the moment appears to spend the night (Friday) in
Lyon and get the train to Cluses in the morning.

John
Old October 19th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

"john elgy" wrote in message
I have booked a chalet in Flaine for the first week in January and am now
trying to arrange the transport. Though Geneva airport is much closer to
Flaine than Lyon, getting a flight to Lyon is much more convenient and
cheeper than going to Geneva. So I now have to find transfers from Lyon to
Flaine. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? The best bet at the
moment appears to spend the night (Friday) in Lyon and get the train to
Cluses in the morning.

John

Are you sure that Lyon + longish transfer really makes economic sense?
Easyjet flies into Geneva, after which you have under an hour's easy
transfer.

Or am I missing something?

RM

Old October 19th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Wilcock

Roger Moss wrote:
"john elgy" wrote in message
I have booked a chalet in Flaine for the first week in January and am now
trying to arrange the transport. Though Geneva airport is much closer to
Flaine than Lyon, getting a flight to Lyon is much more convenient and
cheeper than going to Geneva. So I now have to find transfers from Lyon to
Flaine. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? The best bet at the
moment appears to spend the night (Friday) in Lyon and get the train to
Cluses in the morning.

John

Are you sure that Lyon + longish transfer really makes economic sense?
Easyjet flies into Geneva, after which you have under an hour's easy
transfer.

Likewise, I fail to see how getting a flight to Lyon could be cheaper or
more convenient (I wish it were - I live in Lyon).

AFAIK the only low-cost flight currently from the UK to Lyon is Easyjet
from Stansted (though BMIBaby are apparently going to be flying here
from Heathrow this winter) whereas you can get cheap flights to Geneva
from at least 18 UK airports.

In any case, getting from Lyon airport to Flaine by public transport is
not something I'd relish. The main transfer services (ATS and Satobus)
don't seem to offer anything useful either, so unless you can manage to
tag onto a package holiday transfer I'd have thought that hiring a car
would be the only reasonable option.

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages - www.tradoc.fr
Old October 19th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

John Wilcock wrote:
Roger Moss wrote:

"john elgy" wrote in message

[...]

British Airways are doing returns from Birmingham to Lyon for £51 with a
departure at 19:00 on a Friday evening using airmiles (we appear to get
loads of these just by shopping at a certain supermarket)and even their
website lets you book for £140 per person return. The best I found to
Geneva was almost £200per person. We could get this cost down by going
to a more distant airport, such as East Midlands, but even so the price
was over £150 per head with easyjet. With 3 of us travelling this is a
saving of £300, which I suppose will cover car hire, a night in a hotel
and allow an extra days skiing.

I keep reading about these cheap flights to Geneva but I never seam to
be able to find them. Am I missing something? Is there something else
other than looking at the websites of easyjet etc.?

Anyway the train to Cluses and a taxi from there looks like the best bet
so far and spending the Friday night in Lyon. Any suggestions as to where?

John
Old October 19th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Wilcock

nati-spam wrote:
I keep reading about these cheap flights to Geneva but I never seam to
be able to find them. Am I missing something? Is there something else
other than looking at the websites of easyjet etc.?

Not that I know of.
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?to=GVA has a list of all
the possibilities. How cheap they are of course depends on how early you
book and how much demand there is.

Anyway the train to Cluses and a taxi from there looks like the best bet
so far and spending the Friday night in Lyon. Any suggestions as to where?

You'll be wanting to get the airport bus into the town centre - it stops
near the main SNCF station (Part Dieu).

Ibis, Athena, Best Western, Campanile, Novotel and Première Classe
(among others) have hotels within walking distance of the station.

John.

Old October 19th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

John Wilcock wrote:
nati-spam wrote:

I keep reading about these cheap flights to Geneva but I never seam to
be able to find them. Am I missing something? Is there something else
other than looking at the websites of easyjet etc.?

Not that I know of.
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?to=GVA has a list of all
the possibilities. How cheap they are of course depends on how early you
book and how much demand there is.

Anyway the train to Cluses and a taxi from there looks like the best
bet so far and spending the Friday night in Lyon. Any suggestions as
to where?

You'll be wanting to get the airport bus into the town centre - it stops
near the main SNCF station (Part Dieu).

Ibis, Athena, Best Western, Campanile, Novotel and Première Classe
(among others) have hotels within walking distance of the station.

John.

Thanks alot. this appears the way to go.

John
Old October 20th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

You have to book months and months in advance for cheap easyjet flights at
peak times. I watched the easyjet prices hike up about 6 weeks ago and that
was for feb 1/2 term 2007! The first seats sold are cheap, then the price
escalates as the aircraft fills up. The early bird etc etc.....

I flew wed/wed last year from Bristol to Geneva overlapping 1/2 term for 58
quid. This year taking family so have to go sat/sat. I left it a month too
late booking by which time Bristol was nearly 400 quid return! Best deal was
Luton/Geneva for about 130 quid return so I grabbed em. Must start earlier
next time!

John

" " wrote in
message ...

Old October 21st 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
French_Skier

Return Private transfer from Lyon to Flaine will cost you about £620
for 4 people and around £690 for 6 people so car hire does clearly
work out a lot cheaper. Would not really advise train to Cluses as
transfer from Cluses to Flaine will cost you a small fortune so added
to train cost plus hassle you won't be better off. Satobus Alps (booked
via Altibus) is a good bus service from Lyon to the Tarentaise (3
Vallees etc) for instance but as far as i know it doesn't go to Flaine.

Old November 2nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Francois

Dear John,

The price for a return transfer from Lyon Airport to Flaine is 650 Euros all
included.

Duration of transfer : about 2h30
Our price is all included with personal welcom at the airport, help for
luggage, .....

If the price is to high for you maybe rent a car could be a great solution

Kind regards

François

-----

+33 687 974 790