Ski Speedometer

Old January 20th 06, 10:56 AM

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:14:10 -0000, "Angus Gilmour"
wrote:

No-one has appointed me as moderator - I, in common with anyone using
Outlook Express, have a filter facility which enables me to eliminate any
authors of posts of my choosing. That you find it necessary to resort to
profanity merely reflects IMO the pygmy intellect that you display. I do
accept that there are those whose vocabulary is so limited that they have
not the capacity when writing to use words that are quite so foul.

So, in conclusion:
1. You don't know how to format a post for usenet (top-posting, reply
to the wrong correct post, no context quoted)
2. You're a snob (see other post stating how you like it that skiing
is expensive because it keeps the riff raff away)
3. Your abilities with English are not nearly as good as you think
they are.

I'm sure you've impressed lots of people so far - good work.
--
Champ
Old January 20th 06, 11:21 AM

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:58:42 GMT, "Angus Gilmour"
allegedly wrote:

Come on - don't let this degenerate through the use of profanities.

Why are you replying to Florian, who didn't use any profanity?
Old January 20th 06, 11:57 AM

Ah well, rather than talk about skiing or semantics, I'm off now to
Switzerland. Back in mid March. Perhaps the newsgroup will have something
of interest to discuss.

Old January 20th 06, 12:20 PM

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:57:41 -0000, "Angus Gilmour"
wrote:

Ah well, rather than talk about skiing or semantics, I'm off now to

Excellent.

Switzerland.

Bugger. I'll try and warn them you're coming.

Back in mid March. Perhaps the newsgroup will have something
of interest to discuss.

And perhaps you'll have learnt some basic usenet ettiquette by then?
Naah, that's just wishful thinking.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 20th 06, 01:08 PM

Well, ignorant of all usenet posting conventions, for a start.
Then there's even vaguely correct use of the English language.

And something about GPS systems, on the subject of which you
apparently know nothing, but are quite prepared to argue about with
those who abviously do.

I didnt argue about the way GPS systems worked, I asked a question,
based on my understanding, and got some good answers.

Regarding the Enligh language, do you mean that 400 year old *******
language cobbled together from norman french, old saxon and latin?

Hmm, correct usage indeed, what a joke! Perhaps if you really knew the
english language you wouldnt make ridiculous statements.

Old January 20th 06, 02:09 PM

On 20 Jan 2006 06:08:52 -0800, "fat_boy" wrote:

Well, ignorant of all usenet posting conventions, for a start.
Then there's even vaguely correct use of the English language.

And something about GPS systems, on the subject of which you
apparently know nothing, but are quite prepared to argue about with
those who abviously do.

I didnt argue about the way GPS systems worked, I asked a question,
based on my understanding, and got some good answers.

If you don't call this arguing, then I don't know what is
roups.com
.com

Regarding the Enligh language, do you mean that 400 year old *******
language cobbled together from norman french, old saxon and latin?

Of course he did.

Hmm, correct usage indeed, what a joke! Perhaps if you really knew the
english language you wouldnt make ridiculous statements.

It wasn't a ridiculous statement.

Just because the language is all of the above, that does not mean it
has no rules of normal usage.

And you often do not follow them
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Useless Invention: Laundromat in a nudist colony.
Old January 20th 06, 02:58 PM

#1 Prefixing my statement with a 'How?' makes it a question.

#2 Rhetorical question.

#3 So is it dived or dove?

Rules? As the saying goes, 'Rules are for the compliance of fools and
the guidance of wise men'

Old January 20th 06, 03:07 PM

Angus Gilmour wrote:

Sorry, but you were warned earlier

Oh I love strong, dangerous men.

and at shortly after half past 5

in what timezone, genius ?
Old January 20th 06, 05:48 PM

wrote:

No-one has appointed me as moderator - I, in common with anyone using
Outlook Express, have a filter facility which enables me to eliminate any
authors of posts of my choosing. That you find it necessary to resort to
profanity merely reflects IMO the pygmy intellect that you display. I do
accept that there are those whose vocabulary is so limited that they have
not the capacity when writing to use words that are quite so foul.

Hmm. I had no idea that words such as 'speed' and 'freak' were
profane. I thank you for your correction in this matter.

As to your assertion that I have a "pygmy intellect", well, I can only
assure you that I have absolutely no idea what a pygmy's intellect
actually is, having never knowingly met one.

Of course, I could have simply met a very tall one and been none the
wiser.

Talking of wisdom, intellects and pygmies, how do *you* know that I
have the intellect of a pygmy? Not only that, but is that an insult or
praise? For all I know they are extremely intelligent people. Perhaps
you could do some research.

Alternatively, try posting replies to the actual person you were
replying to, not some random stranger. Incidentally, I don't mean to
claim that I am either random or strange; it's not for me to say.

You could also try leaving a tiny snippet of the post you are replying
to, so that people know what you're warbling on about. It helps
tremendously if the aforementioned snippet is relevant to your
observations, of course.

Typing your witty prose below the snippet does help the reader flow
through the text, like a stylish skier flows across the snow, and
helps said reader capture every subtle nuance of your meaning.

Well, I think that about covers it, enjoy your skiing.

--
-Pip
Old January 22nd 06, 09:52 PM

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:01:40 +0000, Champ squeezed
out the following:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:48:45 -0000, "Angus Gilmour"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
. ..
On 19 Jan 2006 09:23:06 -0800, "fat_boy" wrote:

On and off, different forums, about 7 years.

What the ****[1] are you talking about?

[1] Sorry to sensitive souls, but as you know I don't normally descend
to this level on this group, but I've been drinking, so it's OK, OK?

post reformatted to allow one to follow

You are filtered - don't need to resort to language that is profane. BTW as
you purport to have connection with the ski club of GB, I am sure they will
have better things to do other than to chastise someone who has a strong
opinion but little depth to that opinion.

Sorry, but you were warned earlier and at shortly after half past 5 when you
posted your drivel you put the effect down to drink, you only make things
worse.

"Warned earlier"? Who appointed you moderator all of a sudden.

I've got news for you Angus - people say ****.

They don't just say it, most of 'em do it as well.

--
Colin Irvine